WilliamsP
frankienstien

Black is a color.

WilliamsP

WilliamsP

Con

In this debate, I will argue that black is not a color.

I look forward to debating this topic with anyone that disagrees with my view. Before we begin, however, I would like to implement some crucial rules:

1. Sources must be cited.
2. Proper grammar and spelling will be used.
3. Good conduct is expected.

I will begin making my arguments in the next round.
frankienstien

Pro

Black is a color. It is a mixture of pigments like any other color when referring to paint. Unlike the light spectrum theory you will never mix all paint colors and wind up with white. I find when mixing paint or melting crayons as a child that I wind up with brown.
WilliamsP

Con

I would like to point out my opponent's innacuracies. Black is not a color. Black is the absence of color. White is the presence of all colors. Here is proof:

As you can see, black is not a part of the visible spectrum. Now, if you were to make all these colors overlap, you would get white. That is why we get rainbows: The sun's white light passes through raindrops and shows us the visible spectrum.
If you were to close your eyes, you would see black. If you were to be in a cave many miles under the ground without any light source, there would be black. If you were to look at space where there aren't any stars, there would be black. Black is not a color.

I await your response.
frankienstien

Pro

Black ,gray ,and white are considered achromatic colors. Thhttp://www.handprint.com... key word "colors" would prove that black is in fact a color.
WilliamsP

Con

I am not convinced. Show me proof of this.
frankienstien

Pro

An achromatic color is black , white, or gray. A color with no hue or chromatic component.(1)

1 Bing dictionary
WilliamsP

Con

That argument supports my claim. You say that black is a "achromatic color." You never said it is a "color."

frankienstien

Pro

Did you eat paint chips as a child? Colors are colors, (achromatic or not) and I have won this point with out question.
WilliamsP

Con

You wrote:

"I have won this point with out question."

I am going to prove you wrong.

"1. Black is the absence of color (and is therefore not a color)

Explanation:
When there is no light, everything is black. Test this out by going into a photographic dark room. There are no photons of light. In other words, there are no photons of colors.

2. White is the blending of all colors and is a color.

Explanation:
Light appears colorless or white. Sunlight is white light that is composed of all the colors of the spectrum. A rainbow is proof. You can't see the colors of sunlight except when atmospheric conditions bend the light rays and create a rainbow. You can also use a prism to demonstrate this." [1]

It seems you lack knowledge of basic science. The visible spectrum - a part of the electromagnetic spectrum - does not contain black whatsoever. It is therefore not a color. I will post another quote in order to prove you are incorrect.

"Black is non-colour. Colour is wavelengths of light and black is the result when no lightwaves are emitted or reflected. When you add black to a saturated colour in a subtractive palette(CMYK), or subtract white from an additive palette(RGB), you are creating a shade of that colour. Do the same with grey (desaturating), you create a tone. Do it with white, you create a tint." [2]

I hope I have convinced you.

[1] http://www.colormatters.com...
[2] http://wiki.answers.com...

frankienstien

Pro

All colors have shades. Are you claiming that shade of colors don't exist either? If I paint a car red and close my eyes, I now have painted it black according to you. The same can be said for turning the lights off, with my eyes open.

Black is a color we can paint on an object and it can be observed with our eyes open and the sun shining on it.

Claiming black is not an achromatic color is like claiming the tree that falls in the forest didn't make a sound if no one heard it.
Posted by Jonbonbon 2 years ago
Jonbonbon
This isn't really debatable. It's kind of just stating a scientific fact.
Posted by Jonbonbon 2 years ago
Jonbonbon
Vote Placed by Ozzyhead 2 years ago
Ozzyhead
WilliamsPfrankienstienTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con had a great argument. SG tied, conduct goes to Con because of Pro's insult, as well as 'claiming' victory after the insult. Con had better sources and constructed them better
Vote Placed by iamanatheistandthisiswhy 2 years ago
iamanatheistandthisiswhy
WilliamsPfrankienstienTied
Reasons for voting decision: Black is not a color according to scientific definitions and Con illustrated that concept. This is a science debate so Con wins argument points. Other points are shared.
Vote Placed by Actionsspeak 2 years ago
Actionsspeak
WilliamsPfrankienstienTied
Reasons for voting decision: Equal argument, although Con's were backed stronger by sources.
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
WilliamsPfrankienstienTied
Reasons for voting decision: Achromatic literally means without colour, lol. Con sufficiently proved this, by arguing that black is the absence of colours, to which Pro continue to insist, in various unconvincing ways, that black was a colour. Conduct to Con for Pro insulting him with this: "Did you eat paint chips as a child?"