aliasam1337
FieryPassion

Black women in America don't try to look white. American white women try to look black.

aliasam1337

Pro

Con has to prove that black women cosmetically do try to look white women. Con also has to prove that white women cosmetically DON'T try to look like black women. Cosmetically meaning physically. This isn't a debate on how anyone acts, only on how they look. Both Pro and Con are not implying that all black women or all white women act the same way. This should be an interesting and possibly humorous debate. Good luck to the Con.

First round is acceptance, second is argument, third is rebuttal and fourth is rebuttal and conclusion.
FieryPassion

Con

I accept. Good luck as I await your arguments.
aliasam1337

Pro

For my main arguments:
C1) The texture and nappiness of black hair means that styles and chances of lookig unique are extremely limited. Braids, afros, short hair or long hair is basically all you can do without using relaxer chemicals or putting in weaves or extensions. Thus, this is not acting white as black hair is typically the only type of hair that lacks the flexibility of style. Asians (including Indians and Native Americans) also don't have this problem. It is also very hard to maintain as it gets knotty and stiff very quickly. Straight hair is much easier to handle, keep clean and style. Thus, this is not acting white but trying to be efficient, optimal, trendy and having more of a choice.

C2) Black women just as black men, have their own sense of style in terms of apparel which has actually been adopted by a lot of American society.

C3) White women go tanning to darken their skin. This is an extraordinarily large American phenomena. Blacks rarely bleach their skin (besides Michael Jackson).

C4) White women use lip plumpers and get lip enhancement surgery to obtain the full plump lips that black women already have. Collagen and botox are all the rage with white women.

C5) White women get breast implants and now butt-implants. They even have products like "Booty Pop" for small-reared women to give the illusion of having a fatty. White women want these big hips, and no longer want the flat pancake butt that their mother had. These are traits embraced by the black community, and now today this black trait is being embraced by a lot of women of all races, one being white women. The western ideals of thinness are being overtaken.
FieryPassion

Con

To uphold my burden of proof, I must prove that black women try to look like white women cosmetically and that white women don't try to look like black women cosmetically. So, my arguments:

Argument 1 - Black women cosmetically try to look like white women
I am assuming that it is not my burden of proof to prove that all black women try to look like white women, seeing as that would be impossible. Thus, if I can prove that some black women try to look like white women, my burden of proof is upheld. First, I will describe a number of cosmetical things that are traditionally and culturally considered "white", and then I will show examples of black women emulating this. Blonde hair (or any variant of blonde) is most definitely a "white" appearance since historically, white people come from colder climates then black people, and they therefore need less pigment in their hair to protect them. Weaves are also "white", since weaves allow black women to do things with their hair that naturally only white women could do. Also historically, black women mainly come from Africa while white women come from the European area. In historical Africa, black women had a very respectable role in most societies while in Europe, it was common for white women to be prostitutes or be involved in a similar profession where appearance was vital. Historical tendencies have an impact on future generations, and that has carried to modern times - which is why I consider it "white" for a woman to get breast implants, because white women would have had a greater use for them historically while black women would have had little to no use at all for them. However, there are many examples of black women both dying their hair to blonde (or some variant of it) and of black women getting breast implants, as well as weaves. Here is a thread on a forum I found showing many examples of black women doing all of these things.
http://www.lipstickalley.com...
Thus, black women do try to look like white women.

Argument 2 - White women cosmetically don't try to look like black women
As my opponent points out in his first argument, the only main natural hair styles available to black women are braids, afros, and normal (straight, curly, etc.) hair. "Normal" hair is also available naturally to white women, so I'll put that aside. Braids and afros, however, are considered to be strictly "black", as those are pretty much all else you can do to a black woman's hair. In popular culture, however, white women do not sport braids or afros. Obviously there are a few exceptions, but I assume that we are talking about the majority of the population seeing as it would be impossible for me to prove that no white woman on Earth tries to look like a black woman. Therefore, seeing as the majority of the white female populace does not wear braids, afros, and other "black" hair, they don't try to look like black women.

I eagerly await my opponent's rebuttals.
aliasam1337

Pro

1) Weaves do NOT allow black women to style their hair in ways that only white women can. Asians, native Americans, Indians and other peoples also have straight hair similar to white women. Therefore, since the majority of the planet has the type of hair that black women get weaved into their head, it is not acting white. Black women are naturally thicker, they do not get breast implants anywhere near the pace that white women do in America if you were to put population and poverty differences aside. Patients of breast augmentation in America is overwhelmingly white.(1) White women may of had more of an important need for looks, but in todays world that point is mute. Therefore, black women are naturally thicker and curvier due to having wider hips (2), different diets, and a different image of what is sexy, thus white women get implants and surgery to look like them and not the other way around. Black women only made up 6% of cosmetic surgery in 2007. Breast augmentation was also the top surgery for all women. (3) Therefore, since we are talking about the majority of America and the majority by far of all cosmetic surgies, specically in this case breast augmentation are done by white women; then it is my opinion that they are trying to be curvier and more volumputous which are black traits embraced by the black community (4). The study says that black women place more emphasis on shape then weight. Therefore, the small amount of black women who are getting breast augmentation and butt implants are getting them to look LIKE other black women. The ideal white look is skinny and no curves. The advent of pop culture icons like Pamela Anderson, the influence of blackness in it, and the influx of curvy white celebrities like Kim Kardashian are changing white women's minds. Breast implants is a white thing, big boobs are not a white thing.

2) There are many white women who do wear braids on a small scale, but braids are part of Asian and Native American culture too. Secondly, if a hair style is your main argument for why white women don't try to look like black women cosmetically then I think I win on default alone.

(1) http://www.google.com...
(2) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...
(3) http://www.yourplasticsurgeryguide.com...
(4) http://relationshaping.com...
FieryPassion

Con

FieryPassion forfeited this round.
aliasam1337

Pro

My awesome rebuttal still stands.
FieryPassion

Con

FieryPassion forfeited this round.
Posted by aliasam1337 5 years ago
aliasam1337
i hope someone does....
Posted by EthanHuOnDebateOrg 5 years ago
EthanHuOnDebateOrg
lmao. this is cute. idk if anyone will accept though..
Posted by 16kadams 5 years ago
16kadams
wtf
Posted by Maikuru 5 years ago
Maikuru
I've seen shows and read papers where some black women openly admit to purposefully "white washing" themselves. Anyone interested in this debate should have little problem finding evidence.