ILoveCheese
gahbage

Black women should marry white men

ILoveCheese

Pro

70% of black women are single. For the benefit of society and black women, black women should marry white men.
gahbage

Con

I will start by addressing my opponent's statement.

"70% of black women are single. For the benefit of society and black women, black women should marry white men."

My opponent also uses two sources. The first is Oprah saying that 70% of black women are single. The next is some random shirtless old man commenting on interracial marriages XD. However, as far as I can see, this source has no hard evidence to support his claim. Being as how the first source is only a statistic, this leaves my opponent with no contentions.

Now I will support my position.

Let's look at the resolution.

"Black women should marry white men"

When I read this resolution, I assume that my opponent is stating that "all black women should [only] marry white men". I can further interpret this in two ways.

1. "All black women should marry white men."

This can mean that a black women should marry white men. However, this is illegal. So they shouldn't.

2. "Black women should only marry white men."

This is probably what my opponent means. However, this is not true. Take this example. Morgan is a single, black mother looking to marry. John is a very poor white male living in a single bedroom apartment. He can barely support himself off of his low-paying fast-food job. I think everyone would agree with me when I say that Morgan and John should not get married. So all black women should not marry white men.
ILoveCheese

Pro

There is a large number of black women who do not date. Currently, I contend that black women are racist to the extent that their dating preferences, by in large, are limited in scope to black men.

Black women should date white men because there aren't enough black men to fill the demand of black women and the population of single white men dwarfs the number of single black men.

To the question of whether or not it would be good for society, I don't think one would have as many racial conflicts or acriminous attitudes if half the black women were married and had kids with white men. It would be a testatment to their integration into society much as the Hispanics and Asians.

In one article in the economist years back they stated:

99% of black women marry black men
98% of white women marry white men
80% of hispanic women marry hispanic men
60% of asian women marry asian men

One hardly hears of the 'asian' riots. Nor of 'hispanic' riots. Black riots I think to a large degree is predicated on black's feelings of aliention from the rest of society. That alienation could be nearly removed if half the black women were married to white men.
gahbage

Con

"There is a large number of black women who do not date. Currently, I contend that black women are racist to the extent that their dating preferences, by in large, are limited in scope to black men.

Black women should date white men because there aren't enough black men to fill the demand of black women and the population of single white men dwarfs the number of single black men."

If "a large number of black women do not date", then certainly there would be enough black men for them. Regardless, the resolution states that "black women should marry white men". Surely only a portion of those black women, not all of them, should marry white men, right? Otherwise, to use the context of your argument, what would we do about the population of white women?

"To the question of whether or not it would be good for society, I don't think one would have as many racial conflicts or acriminous attitudes if half the black women were married and had kids with white men. It would be a testatment to their integration into society much as the Hispanics and Asians."

But your resolution implies that ALL black women should marry white men. Even if it doesn't, racist people would still treat you differently if you were mixed. Furthermore, marriage to white men does not act as a "testament to their intergration into society". To be integrated into a society, you do not have to marry a white male.

"99% of black women marry black men
98% of white women marry white men
60% of asian women marry asian men

One hardly hears of the 'asian' riots. Nor of 'hispanic' riots. Black riots I think to a large degree is predicated on black's feelings of aliention from the rest of society. That alienation could be nearly removed if half the black women were married to white men."

"Black riots" (I wouldn't call them that) are mainly because of the living conditions of those people. Other causes are racism, discrimination, and other things that would trouble any other race. Black people do not need to marry white men more than any other race does. Also, like I stated before, marriage to a white man does not prevent alienation or racism.

Now for my part of the case, I'd like to have a brief C/X with my opponent. I'd also like any people reading this to answer the questions in the comments sections (before the last round). Don't answer any if they make you uncomfortable. I also wish to make it known that refusing to answer the majority of these questions would be considered obstruction of evidence or w/e.

1. What race are you? (If you are mixed please state which races you are)
2. Are you racist?
3. Which do you see more often, a person you think is attractive of the same race as you, or from a different race?
4a. Overall, would you prefer to have a partner of the same race or a different race?
4b. Why?
5a. Do you know any people who are in a relationship with a partner of a different race?
5b. If so, how many?
6. How do you feel about interracial relationships?
7a. Do you think race matters in a relationship?
7b. If so, how?
ILoveCheese

Pro

I agree with you that marrying a white man is not the only route to decreasing racial tensions. This is not what I put forward.

What I did propose, was for black women to marry white men. I did not mention all black women. In fact I mentioned 50% as a random number. I argued that marriage in and of itself would decrease racial tensions in society as a whole.

I do think there is racism in our country. The majority of that racism is by women in their mate selection. This is much more significant in terms of cultural attitudes than overt white on black racism and black on white racism.

Many black women and white women would not consider dating outside of their race. Hispanics and Asians have demonstrably shown they are willing. Most of these interacial marriages are done with white men indicating white men are willing to marry outside of their race.

As for white women, they should also consider other races, especially if they are interested in relationships and they find it difficult to find an appropriate mate. Their situation is less dire in the sense that far fewer percentage of white women are single.

My views on interracial marriages are irrelevent for the terms of this debate as are any of the personal information you suggest I put forward.
gahbage

Con

"I did not mention all black women. In fact I mentioned 50% as a random number. I argued that marriage in and of itself would decrease racial tensions in society as a whole."

And I argued that it would do little to help. For example, say there is a boy in your school who is racist towards black people. A new student in the school is mixed black/white. What makes you think the racist boy will treat the mixed boy any differently than a black person?

"The majority of that racism is by women in their mate selection. This is much more significant in terms of cultural attitudes than overt white on black racism and black on white racism."

Preferring to marry your own race is not racism. Perhaps you do not want a mixed child, or ridicule from family/friends. Whatever the reason, unless you are racist, it is not racism. I could further prove this point through the C/X, but you didn't answer them, so I will address them later.

"Many black women and white women would not consider dating outside of their race. Hispanics and Asians have demonstrably shown they are willing. Most of these interacial marriages are done with white men indicating white men are willing to marry outside of their race."

That point actually helps me. Why should a woman marry out of her race if she doesn't want to? This does nothing to prove your claim.

"As for white women, they should also consider other races, especially if they are interested in relationships and they find it difficult to find an appropriate mate. Their situation is less dire in the sense that far fewer percentage of white women are single."

Not every person prefers to marry. I know many people that would rather remain single, or are single and do not plan on marrying. Maybe a large portion of those black women do not want to marry at all.

"My views on interracial marriages are irrelevent for the terms of this debate as are any of the personal information you suggest I put forward."

Really? I'll look at each question and show how it is blatantly important to the debate.

Question 1: This helps with answering the other questions. Also, if you were a white male or black female you may have a biased view or, depending on the other questions, your own reasons for supporting this resolution.

Question 2: Racism, obviously, would play a part in this resolution and the C/X.

Question 3: If you chose same race, it would mean that you find your own race more attractive than other races (most people do). So if you preferred your own race to another, why would you want to marry outside of your race?

Question 4: See above.

Question 5: If you didn't know any people in an interracial relationship or any that have been, it could show that people may prefer their own race to another.

Question 6: If you/a commenter disagree with interracial relationships, then it would mean that someone is against black women with white men. If you/they are a white man/black woman, then you may be biased.

Question 7: See above.

So now you can see that these questions were important to the debate, and my opponent failed to answer them for no reason. Because of this and the fact that I have refuted all my opponent's points, you should vote Con.
Posted by Im_always_right 6 years ago
Im_always_right
Sorry I only read the title and the a short while later so all I read was
"Black women should marry white men, to be a benefit for sociaty, since 70% of black women are single."
You should marry who you feel like being with despite ethnicity.
Posted by Maya9 6 years ago
Maya9
ILoveCheese states that 70% of black women are single, but provides no backup for this statement. Also, he assumes that every single black women WANTS to get married. As for it being beneficial to society, that depends very much on the quality of each individual offspring of each couple. I fail to see how the simple act of two people getting married is in any way beneficial to society.
Posted by gahbage 6 years ago
gahbage
Sorry LM, I accepted this debate before I read your comment XD
Posted by ILoveCheese 6 years ago
ILoveCheese
Posted by sonofzapp 6 years ago
sonofzapp
lol wtf do u mean by black women should marry white men. that makes no sense. not only have u given no indication as to where u aquired this information but if it is true than that should be all the more reason for black women to marry black men. no correction; if what u say is true than black women shouldnt just confine themselves to white men, but to every race of every man. the same goes for white women, spanish women, and whatever else u can think of. If those statistics are true than they should allow themselves to branch out to help eliminate it. and besides, youve given no reason as to why black women shouldnt stay within their own race of people. and logical-master presents a good question. are u a racist?
Posted by Logical-Master 6 years ago
Logical-Master
Fiddle sticks, and here I may just have taken this debate after seeing Ilovecheese's response.
Posted by Logical-Master 6 years ago
Logical-Master
Are you suggesting that black women should ONLY marry white men? Where are your statistics on the matter of 70% of black women being single? And you say for the benefit of society and black women? Does this mean that black women are not to be grouped with society? One more question: Are you racist? :D
Vote Placed by gahbage 5 years ago
gahbage
ILoveCheesegahbageTied
Vote Placed by ally93 6 years ago
ally93
ILoveCheesegahbageTied
Vote Placed by necromancer 6 years ago
necromancer
ILoveCheesegahbageTied
Vote Placed by LakevilleNorthJT 6 years ago
LakevilleNorthJT
ILoveCheesegahbageTied
Vote Placed by Darkfire62 6 years ago
Darkfire62
ILoveCheesegahbageTied
Vote Placed by Rezzealaux 6 years ago
Rezzealaux
ILoveCheesegahbageTied
Vote Placed by Noblethe3rd 6 years ago
Noblethe3rd
ILoveCheesegahbageTied
Vote Placed by slayer54321 6 years ago
slayer54321
ILoveCheesegahbageTied