Blacks Lives Matter is a terrorist group

I will be debating that Blacks Lifes Matter is a terrorist group and does more harm and good.

Terrorism- the use of violent acts to frighten the people in an area as a way of trying to achieve a political goal.

The first round is acceptance.

Con, do not bring up new points in the final round.

Alright, thank you for accepting my debate.

Like I said Previously: Terrorism- the use of violent acts to frighten the people in an area as a way of trying to achieve a political goal.

Let's look back to Ferguson. So, this was caused by Michael Brown getting shot by a police officer. No matter what you believe, the way the protestors acted was not right.

Protest- a statement or action expressing disapproval of or objection to something.

The Black Lives Matter group was certainly protesting, but not in the right way. In the First amendment a group has to right to protest, but can not endanger public safety. The Black Lives Matter group went above and beyond. They looted stores, and causedover 6 million dollars in damage. Looting and burning stores is certainly a violent act that scares people.

The group leader defended the looting. That's like when Hitler defended the looting of the jewish businesses. They are not fixing anything, all they are doing is creating more problems. They terrorise businesses while claiming to protest and make the matter worse.

I am going to start by stating my position. Black Lives Matter is not, by majority, a terrorist group. There are definitely some protesters who are violent (1), however the majority are not. When my opponent points to the FOX News article (2), this professor is not the Black Lives Matter leader. He is simply a man who showed his students an essay defending the looting. My opponent failed to understand the rhetoric of FOX News which uses a different definition of leader in order to have a better headline. A leader can be more than the man at the top of an organized group, something that Black Lives Matter is not, but rather can be just one man attempting to make a difference. Therefore, I can only conclude that some radical protestors qualify as terrorists, but the core of the group is not.

Tea Party (1)

FOX News (2)

Let's look at this:

The United States Code (18 U.S.C. "2331)

"Appear to be intended (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping."

A good amount of them are in fact terrorizing our country. Have they intimidated a civilian Population to attempt to influence the government, yes. Let's look at a rally they had about a year ago. They were chanting that they wanted the pigs (Police Officers) to be burned. That doesn't sound too nice doesn't it? My opponent has failed to explain why they aren't a terrorist group, for that reason vote pro.

Black lives matter also wants to have "reserved places" for blacks, sounds familiar? Well it should, that's called segregation. Hundreds of them have called for the shooting of police officers, that doesn't sound too friendly. Black Lives Matter is a terrorist group, I have proven why. Vote Pro.

My opponent is right that there are people who are in the wide umbrella of Black Lives Matter that qualify as terrorists. However, the core group, the group that focuses on the ideals of Black Lives Matter, those ideals being 1) preservation of life and 2) equal treatment regardless of race, are not terrorists. The specific incidents that my opponent points out are dramatic and news-worthy because they are rare. If these incidents occurred all the time, then nobody would care, but they don't. Their rarity in the news, and the fact they make it into the news, indicates that the group is not often committing these crimes and acts of terrorism. Therefore, we should treat the group as we should treat Muslims, mostly good, but with a couple bad apples.
Posted by whiteflame 4 months ago
>Reported vote: parkerwill// Mod action: Removed<

3 points to Pro (Arguments), 2 points to Con (Sources). Reasons for voting decision: Very close debate- Pro did establish and prove his point using definitions that Con was able to defend his point. I felt as though Con's sources were more relevant to his argument- so Con will get the points for that.

[*Reason for removal*] (1) Arguments are confusingly explained. It looks like the voter is stating that both sides merited a win, but doesn't explain why Pro earns it, nor does he analyze arguments made by either side. (2) Sources are insufficiently explained. Merely restating the point allocation is not sufficient to award these points.