Bmarie27
Wylted

Blacks Should Own Hip Hop

Wylted

Bmarie27

Con

I recently researched books about black culture hip hop and found books with whites talking about instruction on how hip hop started and instruction on how to dance hip hop, white people are making millions off of black culture and we're letting them, this has gots to stop, hip hop is the culture we created and the only culture we really have yet white people are taking over!
Wylted

Pro

Hip hop is obviously more a part of white culture than black culture. White people invented hip hop and made it popular. Since My opponent is just giving a brief overview, I'll respect him and do the same. Here is a quote from my favorite website.

"Blacks did not invent hip-hop (rhymes). Rap is just poetry butchered by blacks and promoted by Jews.

Europeans invented and mastered poetry, rymes and meanings that blacks now call rap music. The basis for hip-hop was stolen from European culture. The greatest poets are of European decent. I think whites should reclaim our heritage, and make music using classical poetry and not label it rap-music or hip hop."
https://www.stormfront.org...
Bmarie27

Con

Bmarie27 forfeited this round.
Wylted

Pro

I'm fine with shortening the debate. One more chance my friend
Bmarie27

Con

Bmarie27 forfeited this round.
Wylted

Pro

Well vote me, I made enough of an argument
Posted by MakeSensePeopleDont 1 year ago
MakeSensePeopleDont
@Wylted -- Since Bmarie27 just quit for some reason, I will be happy to reply in comment section.

Although yes, historical European culture is most popular to the Western world when it comes to poetry, "White People" as you put it, or more accurately Europeans were not the "inventors" of poetry. This honor is still to this day, and most likely will forever be, unknown. However, the most agreed upon theory within the scientific and archaeological communities is that poetry was initially "invented" pre-literacy; before there was written language. It is agreed that rhyming, or poetry, was used by elders of societies in order to easily memorize and recite important things like lineage and understandings of the workings of the world as they knew it.

Moving forward, the earliest known uses of poetry verbally are agreed to be within India. Additionally, the earliest known poetic works are dated around 2,000 B.C., citing "The Epic of Gilgamesh", an oral tradition of the Sumerians. Some of the earliest known written poetry was completed in Sanskrit, this is widely agreed upon as "The mother of all written languages" and originated within the Indian subcontinent which is located within the modern continent of Asia; more precisely, the NW region of India.

Even thinking of the earliest poetic writings in Greece, "Homer's Iliad and Odyssey" were written by the Greek poet Homer. Although very little is known of Homer, it is believed he was born between 1200 & 750 B.C. around a Greek settlement in Turkey. So even Greece cannot claim the origins of even written poetry.

This does not account for the fact that rap/hip hop is its own genre, having roots not only in poetry, but is also more closely tied to jazz, tribal chants, etc.

In summation, "White People" as you put it, did not even "invent" poetry, let alone play any major role in the creation of the art form or culture of rap & hip hop.

Thank you for your time.
Vote Placed by Rosalie 1 year ago
Rosalie
Bmarie27WyltedTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con ff