kenicks
simmyjaye

Blue-Frosted Cake Donuts

Con Tied Pro

kenicks

Con

I am against blue-frosted cake donuts. Before I begin the debate, I would like to say that the spelling of "Donut" is merely the shortened term of "Doughnut" in persuasive American English, and that a "Donut" has the same overall definition and description as a "Doughnut". Don't even try to nail me on that one.

Also I would like to remind my opposition that this is a one-round debate, so throw everything you have to say out there.

As I was saying, I am against blue-frosted cake donuts, for a number of reasons. I will first evaluate on the nutritional value approach of a cake donut:

*The average plain cake donut has 18-19 grams of fat, with 9 grams of saturated fat. Based on the average, 2,000 calorie per day diet, this is 46% of your daily value of saturated fat-nearly half in one simple treat.

*Backtracking to the total fat amount, on the average 2,000 calorie per day diet, one cake donut equals out to 30% of your daily value of fat. That means eating three cake donuts and, say, 3 munchkins, would suffice for your daily value of total fat.

*An average cake donut has 280 calories, with 160 calories from fat. More than half of the calories in this cake donut are from fat (about 57%). Also, the average plain cake donut, in a calories per gram outlook, has 125% more calories per gram in fat than in those of carbohydrates or protein, 25% more in fats alone than these two combined.

*The average plain cake donut is NOT a significant source of:
Vitamin A
Vitamin C
Calcium
Dietary Fiber
Protein

Ah, yes, the wonders of a plain cake donut. However, I have yet to discuss the joys of a FROSTED cake donut, and I will do so now:

*In the average frosted cake donut, the icing alone brings the calorie level up from 280 to 330, and the fat calorie level by 10. Alas, the calories from fat percentage is still over half the amount.

*To add the extra goodness of the icing taste, thrown into the mix is high fructose corn syrup, dextrose, corn syrup, maltodextrin, partially hydrogenated vegetable oil (which isn't all that much of an improvement from regularly hydrogenated oil-see link below), and artifical flavor. Big focus on the high fructose corn syrup, the HFCS. This sweetener, which, for the most part, replaced natural sugar in many a' product, is made from genetically modified enzymes, in order to keep the product stable. Rather than chowing down on pure, sugar cane icing, one is really eating frosting of the fake McCoy. On top of that, this syrupy mixture is as unhealthy as they come; when fed to rats in an experiment, over a short period of time, these rodents developed anemia, high cholesterol, liver and testes swelling, and heart hypertrophy, a deadly infection where their hearts enlarged until they combusted. Imagine what an excess of this virtual poison could do to humans! The second link has more on HFCS:

http://www.treelight.com...

http://www.westonaprice.org...

*The average frosted cake donut is STILL NOT a significant source of:
Vitamin A
Vitamin C
Calcium
Dietary Fiber
Protein

*If the frosted cake donut was indeed of the blue color, than artificial food coloring would have to be used to illustrate this hue. Artificial food coloring is emerging as a new danger to consumers, and is being pulled off the market in a fast flurry. Yellow #2 food coloring has just been pulled off the markets, as it revealed to be a cause of cancer, ADHD, and male sterility. The link below has more:

http://science-news.org...

Now that I've uncovered the nutritional cons of blue-frosted cake donuts, let's take this from an economical aspect:

*Where is one most likely to buy these delectably fattening blue-frosted cake donuts? Most likely at a Dunkin' Donuts, Honey Dew, Winchell's, Krispy Kreme, Tim Horton's, or wheverer you take the liberty of passing through a drive-thru to order a coffee and donut. These donut chains are corporate beasts, and rake in millions of dollars each year selling their fattening products. But with the economic downturn that we've been experiencing over the past few years, even though President Bush has yet to declare a national recession, it is time that we clamp down and start saving. What do we owe these corporate giants enough to pour our wallets out into them, when many of us are dogged by credit card debt, mortgage payments and student loans? People all around us are losing their homes via foreclosure, somewhat in part to the fact they chose to empty out their savings for frivolous purposes such as blue-frosted cake donuts rather than paying off their loans. The answer to the economic downturn, and avoiding another great depression, is not to spend and spend, but to save and spend, using the latter on more important issues.

*I also mentioned that we buy these products via drive-thru. Let me illustrate the picture of a drive-thru; 3 kids piled in the backseat screaming, a frazzled mother trying to give her order to the speakerbox, taking a pause every so often to scream back at the kids. After the sugary snacks have been ordered, the kids will continue to be hyper and filled with shrill screams, answered back by the mother's desperate wails. On top of that, she is wasting precious gas money by leaving her engine running in the drive-thru line, and driving back home. A more ideal solution to this would be to lead the kids into the serene setting of the kitchen, and hold a family cake donut-fry for the afternoon. One would get to choose healthier ingredients over what the corporate giants shove into your food, the kids generate and store valuable memories of cooking with mom (or dad), and all is enjoyed in the open environment of one's home, rather than a cramped, stuffy car. Also, one saves precious gas money, and the home-cooked ingredients of a cake donut should be far less than what they charge you at the drive-thru.

"Okay," you think, "He's shown that you can still enjoy a blue-frosted cake donut, if you make the proper adjustments. Therefore he has contradicted himself, and I should win this debate easily."

Au contraire, my opposition. I still have yet to elaborate on the vital point of this debate-the blue frosting. I have said before that artificial coloring is put into this icing concoction, and that alone makes it less to be desired. However, there is a difference in the blue frosting portion on the cake donut than a pink, white, brown, or green frosting on the same cake donut. That difference is the simple fact that Mother Nature has produced natural foods of all colors-all but blue (blueberries are actually a shade of purple). Limes are green, bananas are yellow, and apples are green and red, but as far as food goes, nothing is naturally blue. Studies have shown that children who drink foods such as Blue Kool-Aid and other artifical blue substances have been led in their later lives to seek out substances of the same color to eat, and have often been deprived of natural taste. Blue-frosted cake donuts can lead to the same effect, and can stray children away from natural, healthy foods.

For the sake of the nationwide health, economy and safety of our children, I am against blue-frosted cake donuts.

Opposition?
simmyjaye

Pro

I am in favor of blue-frosted donuts. I think we should eat them, in moderation, as a special treat.

They are really yummy.

Some of your statistics are, indeed, shocking, and I would never recommend a diet of just eating blue-frosted donuts. You point out that donuts are a high source of fat, and not a source of vital vitamins and nutrients the body needs. However, this is to be expected from an oh-so-naughty dessert that, again, would be an unimaginable part of a daily diet.

Your "evil corporations" argument can be made in a similar respect regarding any form of junk food. Yes, perhaps it is sad that many businesses will always be out to profit from human vices. However, I like to think most people are smart enough - especially in a world saturated with advertising - to know which choices are healthy. Nobody is forcing us to go to that donut drive-thru every lunchtime. I would like to have the right to eat a donut, when I want, on my terms. I am sympathetic to those who feel addicted or victimised. But, in almost all cases, that is an issue regarding their strength of character, just like those of us who manage not to be addicted to the casino / smoking / whatever. We're not being force-fed anything; to condone any scrumptious delicacy just because some will abuse their bodies with its excessive consumption is unfair on those who enjoy such items in moderation.

I feel that your image of the drive-thru (kids SCREAMING at their parents / leaving the GAS running!) is more an emotional outburst than an arugment. I, for instance, have remained calm in many a drive-thru scenario, even with young children present.

The nothing-is-really-blue-in-nature point is interesting. However, I don't think eating some blue artifical colouring will kill me, if, again, I am careful and only eat blue icing on occasion.

Here are my arguments in favor of blue-frosted donuts:

(1) Blue makes them visually interesting, standing out from the average donut.
(2) They taste great.

Thanks for debating!
Posted by simmyjaye 8 years ago
simmyjaye
jellyphish, I stand by my point. Most people know what choices are healthy. I didn't claim that most people make the right choices.
Posted by jellyphish 8 years ago
jellyphish
Con, i must seriously disagree with your sentence:
"However, I like to think most people are smart enough - especially in a world saturated with advertising - to know which choices are healthy."
Have you seen most Americans? The statement "overfed and undernourished" applies to half the population! Smart is not a factor, it's sugar, it's good, it gets you high and it's cheap, end of conversation.
Posted by kenicks 8 years ago
kenicks
Actually nothing really. I woke up thinking I wanted to start a random debate topic, and this was the first one I thought of...thought I could do a better job explaining from the CON side.
Posted by CaliBeachgirl 8 years ago
CaliBeachgirl
Ha ha...Nice change of subject...actally your right about the coffee thing lol

What about the donuts dont' you like????
Posted by Jamcke 8 years ago
Jamcke
I hate blue frosted donuts too. And I'm also sick and tired of those damned flip-top coffee lids. If you don't want to spill your coffee you shouldn't be driving with it.
Posted by CaliBeachgirl 8 years ago
CaliBeachgirl
Intresting Topic. lol
I want a blue-frosted donut now!
Simmy you made them to yummy sounding! While they might be bad for your health so is soda, candy, etc. You just have to take things in moderation.
Vote Placed by zach12 8 years ago
zach12
kenickssimmyjayeTied
Vote Placed by kenicks 8 years ago
kenicks
kenickssimmyjayeTied
Vote Placed by mynameisjonas 8 years ago
mynameisjonas
kenickssimmyjayeTied
Vote Placed by matthewleebrown14 8 years ago
matthewleebrown14
kenickssimmyjayeTied
Vote Placed by simmyjaye 8 years ago
simmyjaye
kenickssimmyjayeTied
Vote Placed by Jamcke 8 years ago
Jamcke
kenickssimmyjayeTied
Vote Placed by Derek.Gunn 8 years ago
Derek.Gunn
kenickssimmyjayeTied
Vote Placed by LakevilleNorthJT 8 years ago
LakevilleNorthJT
kenickssimmyjayeTied
Vote Placed by CaliBeachgirl 8 years ago
CaliBeachgirl
kenickssimmyjayeTied
Vote Placed by s0m31john 8 years ago
s0m31john
kenickssimmyjayeTied