Furyan5
dodomf22

Blue or chicken?

Furyan5

Con

We have free will.
Free will being the ability to choose.
Pro will argue we do
Con will argue we don't
Anything goes provided both parties agree on the possibility.
Round 1. Outline argument.
Round 2. Proof
Round 3. Rebuttals
Round4. Summary
dodomf22

Pro

Bible verse:
James 1:13-16
Let no one say when he is tempted, "I am being tempted by God," for God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one. But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death. Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers.

This shows that men have free will to choose and accept consequences accordingly.

The verse below again reinforce that:

2 Corinthians 9:7 Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
It is upto you.
Furyan5

Con

First of all, thank you for accepting the debate and thanks for the lesson from scripture. Unfortunately as the existance of God can't be proven I can't accept his word alone as proof. I do hope that you will be providing more substantive proof that free will exists. many people believe having choices means having free will. This is where the illusion comes in. Because your choice may differ from other people and can even differ personally at different times fools us. At any given moment we can only have one choice. That choice is predetermined by our personality and taste. Factors we have no control over. Therefore our choice is not free. Here I rest...
dodomf22

Pro

I read you. On God: who created the earth? sands? the moon? Who gives life and takes it away? GOD is the author of this. In God we trust- the entire US population can"t be fool.
On Free will you wrote ""At any given moment we can only have one choice. That choice is predetermined by our personality and taste. Factors we have no control over. Therefore our choice is not free."" Well at any given moment you may have a choice. It can be between four types of drinks and you shortlist two (mango juice or tropical fruits), between colors and you shortlist two (light blue tie and dark blue tie), between hiring one car (Lambg'ni or Ferrari). You have free to choose either way without any pre-determination. u chose one 2day, other 2morrow
Furyan5

Con

But today and tomorrow are 2 different situations. You cant go back and change yesterdays decision or go forward and change tomorrows decision. Only todays decision matters. Who knows what will affect your decision tomorrow? The weather? Your financial situation? A million other things could, but none of these things are under your control. Likewise you can't go back and change any experience in your past. If you were a guest in my house now and I offered you a drink, anything you can think of is available, what would you have?
dodomf22

Pro

Well I am losing you now and seem deviating from the debate. Your thesis was 'no one has a free will everything is pre-determined' as proved to you that was incorrect. We are now deviating from the debate.

You now just wrote: 'You cant go back and change yesterdays decision or go forward and change tomorrows decision. Only todays decision matters.' I agree on the past...i don't follow you on next words.

We have now deviated. Please accept defeat.
Furyan5

Con

we make choices for 3 reasons. A is good or B is evil. A is better for me and B is harmful. Or. A I like or B I dnt like. You could say well what if I like A and B? Well we can like A more or B more. If we like both equally it has zero score on the like/dnt like vector. Then we turn to good/evil or better/harmful to help decide. At any moment you cant like/dislike anything at the same time. This is all done subconciously and the only time we become aware of the process is when conflict arises. Ie something we like is bad. Or something good could be harmful. Like helping someone on the side of the road. Its good but dangerous. our choice is predetermined. We only realise what the obvious choice is. We have no choice.
dodomf22

Pro

We are going round and round and you keep deviating and contradicting yourself. You just wrote:
' Its good but dangerous. our choice is predetermined. We only realise what the obvious choice is. We have no choice. '

but earlier you wrote 'we can choose good vs evil, good vs harmful

So it means we have choice!
Posted by Furyan5 2 years ago
Furyan5
Now that the debate is over I can convincingly state that the answer to blue or chicken is 42.
Posted by Furyan5 2 years ago
Furyan5
Please do not write your choice in comments. You'll set a president for others to either follow or oppose. Just choose one and ask yourself why?
Posted by Furyan5 2 years ago
Furyan5
Lol its a choice you have nothing to measure it to.
Posted by lord_megatron 2 years ago
lord_megatron
what does the resolution mean?