bettabreeder
aburk903

Bob's Burgers is the Best Show on air Right Now

aburk903
Started: 5/6/2014 Category: TV

bettabreeder

Pro

First Round is for acception only
aburk903

Con

Thanks for the topic, Pro. I gladly accept.
Before we really begin, let's agree to define best as "better than all others in quality or value" as it is defined in the Merriam-Webster Dictionary.
I look forward to your first round.
bettabreeder

Pro

Bob's Burgers includes humor but never tries to offend the viewer. It gives all the charaters a personality like how we will act. Each Charater is different but they all make they show fun, Tina Belcher has aspergers and has schoolgirl crushes on all the guys. deffinaly Jimmy Jr. Lousie hasen't been through puberty yet so she doesen't find intrest in the oppisite sex but helps and sticks up for Tina. Gene is the middle aged child and is into house music and making fart sounds out of his insterments. Linda and Bob are the parents and they run the resterurant with the kids.

Tina Belcher is a character on the show, Buzzfeed rated her to be the coolest charater for teens. She isn't afraid to be her self or try something new and she never gives up. By Slate she has been called a "Folk Hero for Young Anxouis teens. I am one of them and I can say that is true. All young adults and teens with a form of aspergers have a inner Tina. She has been also been called a "Feminist Icon"

http://www.slate.com...;
http://www.buzzfeed.com...
aburk903

Con

I.Bob"s Burgers Rebuttal

A.Lack of Intentional Vulgarity Does Not Indicate Quality

-The assertion that Bob"s Burgers is not offensive does not contribute anything to the claim that it is the best show on the air now. As stated in my uncontested definition of best, we are looking for quality or value, not for a lack of offensive content. Additionally, Bob"s Burgers does contain content that some would find offensive. (http://www.imdb.com...)

B.Well-developed Characters Are Not Indicative Of Quality, And Are Not Exclusive To Bob"s Burgers

- Diverse and round characters are present in most fictional television shows, and unless something is unique to Bob"s Burgers, that assertion does not bear any weight towards the value of the show. It is simply good storytelling.

C. "Coolness" Is Not A Factor When Judging Quality

-To suggest that this makes Bob"s Burgers superior to all other shows is absurd. Additionally, to suggest that an animated character in an adult cartoon is a "Feminist Icon" is as far-fetched as calling Bobby Hill a figurehead for athletic children or Eric Cartman as a role model for overweight kids. My opponent has simply not shown how Bob"s Burgers is definitely best.

II. Alternative Show For Consideration

Cosmos- A Spacetime Odyssey
-Not only is this show higher in quality and value then Bob"s Burgers, but it is also on the same network. Following this, not only will my opponent be unable to claim that Bob"s Burgers is the best show on the air, but he also won"t be able to claim it is even the best on its network. Cosmos has not only received higher ratings from critics then Bob"s Burgers, but it also contains educational value. (http://www.imdb.com...)

In summary, my opponent has failed to present compelling evidence to indicate that Bob"s Burgers is the best show on the air. Education is a higher quality then entertainment as well, so even given only my example of Cosmos, I have shown that there are shows superior to Bob"s Burgers.
bettabreeder

Pro

bettabreeder forfeited this round.
aburk903

Con

My opponent has failed to offer a rebuttal, so I extend all arguments. Additionally, to all voters, I'm not sure why all of my apostrophes became quotation marks last round, but I assure you it was a formatting error and not grammatical ineptness.
I hope my opponent is well, but I am compelled to point out that his account shows him as being active 1 day ago (while each round is allotted 72 hours).
bettabreeder

Pro

bettabreeder forfeited this round.
aburk903

Con

My opponent has failed to offer any type of rebuttal. I have clearly shown that my opponent's criteria for what qualifies as the best TV show are not good indicators, and that there are better alternative to his proposed show, Bob's Burgers. Vote Con.
Posted by bettabreeder 2 years ago
bettabreeder
both

Never seen it but if you want to debate you can use it
Posted by Only-Human 2 years ago
Only-Human
Question: When you mean on the air do you mean shows that are making new episodes right now or could it be shows that will have another season?
Follow up question: Do you like the Walking Dead?
Vote Placed by bladerunner060 2 years ago
bladerunner060
bettabreederaburk903Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct, obviously, for the forfeits. And Pro basically threw away any chance at a win on Arguments by failing to respond whatsoever to Con's case. I appreciate that Con noted the formatting problem he experienced--it wouldn't have been enough to warrant S&G, but I'm still glad he did so. S&G was equal enough, and sourcing was not really an issue. As always, happy to clarify this RFD.