nutls333
deadvirgo

Book Censorship In Public Schools

nutls333

Con

I am arguing that book censorship in public schools is not appropriate. Books are good for kids, and no one book is going to tear a childs life apart. It will only inform and prepare them for the real world.

Good luck to my fellow debater, who ever it may be, and may the best man (or lady) win.
deadvirgo

Pro

Allow me to first suggest that your interpretation of your own argument may be flawed. Perhaps you are confusing the censorship of any book with the censorship of books which are commonly banned from schools. My position is not the status quo. I don't believe that many books which are banned should be, nor do I agree with the alterations of certain literary works for the sake of political correctness (as in the case of the removal of the "n" word from Mark Twain's "Tom Sawyer").

The main problem with your argument, as submitted, is that you do not define the term "book." Does a collection of pornographic images constitute a book, or should we only consider literary works? Certainly there are books which actively encourage behaviors which would be inappropriate for children of certain ages, or which would discourage secular education entirely. Should a pre-teen have unlimited access to Adolf Hitler's "Mein Kampf" without any guidance from their parent or guardian, or is that a subject which is better left until the mind has more fully developed?

The secondary problem with your position is also one of definition. How do we define "censorship?" To censor does not mean to ban, necessarily, although it can include it. Do you mean to suggest that book banning in public schools is inappropriate, or do you mean that altered versions of books should not be banned, or perhaps that the educators should not be prohibited from including certain books as required readings? One could even go so far as to say that limiting certain interpretations of books in public schools amounts to censorship, and therefore your position, as stated, is that any teacher should be able to require a student to not only read a book like the bible or the koran, but to read it as if it were true. Book censorship can be used for good or bad purposes, depending on the person doing the censoring and the biases of the debater. It is not logical to argue that book censorship is bad simply because it can be bad, or even because it is often bad. Your position, as stated, is that it is always bad in every instance and every interpretation of the subject.

I am not arguing that books such as Harry Potter or Fahrenheit 451 deserve to be kept out of schools. That position is much more difficult to defend. My stance, rather, is that some book censorship in public schools in not only defensible but in the best interest of fostering knowledge and building character, which are the two things which schools are designed to do as I see it.
nutls333

Con

nutls333 forfeited this round.
deadvirgo

Pro

deadvirgo forfeited this round.
nutls333

Con

nutls333 forfeited this round.
deadvirgo

Pro

deadvirgo forfeited this round.
nutls333

Con

nutls333 forfeited this round.
deadvirgo

Pro

deadvirgo forfeited this round.
nutls333

Con

nutls333 forfeited this round.
deadvirgo

Pro

deadvirgo forfeited this round.