boom101
ChloeMcIverFloyd

Books are better than movies.

boom101

boom101

Pro

Now, movies are great, almost perfect, when it comes to simply sitting on a couch and viewing them, and that too, while entertaining yourself the same time, without that difficulty of flipping a page. But books let you live everything. Once a filmmaker decides upon settings and characters, we are limited to seeing those characters and settings through their eyes. However, 500 different readers of the same book may have 500 different ideas of a character’s appearance. And if an actor does not measure up to what you imagined when reading the book, there is disappointment.

Well, I'm sure we've all come across this topic multiple times! Albeit, this is quite an interesting topic, which I would love to debate on, on an intellectual level! I have written my opening argument above, and the rule(s) are below.

Rule(s): All references, and bibliography are to be listed at the end of every round.I look forward to anyone open to debate! :)
ChloeMcIverFloyd

Con

I think that movies are better than books for a couple reasons that I will discuss in my argument.

My first reason is, if you are a busy person you probably don't have a ton of time to read books. So it would save time if you watch the movie. If you don't read the book, (you only watch the movie,) you can't be disappointed if the movie isn't exactly like the book, because you never read the book.

The movies have all of the important things from the book, so reading the book is pointless, because you get all the important details from the movie without spending hours reading a book. So the movie is a quicker way to get the same information.
boom101

Pro

Firstly, I would like to thank my fellow opponent for accepting this debate, and I wish them luck! I look forward to an intense debate!

Now, I would like to point out that Con has not rebutted to the following reasons:
            • When you see a movie you are limited to seeing the characters and settings through their eyes. However, 500 different readers of the same book might have 500 different ideas of the character’s appearance.
            • Books let you live everything!
I will now continue with rebutting on my fellow opponent’s reasons, and will present my own reasons.

“If you are a busy person you probably don’t have a ton of time to read books. So it would save time if you watch the movie.”

Con has indirectly stated that a busy person may have time to watch a three hour movie, but does not have the time to read a novel, which may take 2-6 hours, depending on the length of the novel, and the speed of the reader. Either way, a busy person is still uses time. Con also fails to comprehend that if the book is worth the time, then time is not wasted. A busy person can listen to the novel on tape, CD or your MP3 player as well so that can listen to the book when you are doing something that requires your hands but not too much thinking. While listening to the book may not be as good as reading the book, as that improves your vital skill, at least it stimulates your brain! When you watch a movie your brain is dead, which is not healthy, mentally.

“If you don’t read the book, (you only watch the movie,) you can’t be disappointed if the movie isn’t exactly like the book, because you never read the book.”

Again, Con doesn’t seem to apprehend that the pleasures in reading a book, and the benefits, are not even comparable to watching a movie. Yes, I do agree that by not reading the book, you will not be disappointed. But why will you be disappointed in the first place? The reasons for that are because of limited storytelling time and script writing not doing justice. Most movies guide us through their plot in three hours. A book however, is edited and crafted, but the writer is still working within an unlimited time canvas. This condensing of books into movies leads to deleted parts from the book or abbreviation of developments within the book. Which brings me to my next rebuttal.

"The movies have all of the important things from the book, so reading the book is pointless, because you get all the important details from the movie without spending hours reading a book."

As Pro, I refute! Movies do not have all of the important things from the books, and reading the book would not be pointless. The famous ‘Hunger Games’ had a number of differences in the movie, when compared to their original book, such as ‘The Dog Mutants’. (WARNING: SPOLIER ALERT FOR THE NEXT SENTENCE!) In the novel, Katniss recognises that the Capitol has spliced parts of the former tributes into mutant beasts; however, in the film version, the "dogs" are presented as nothing more than over-sized (and vicious) wild beasts. I can name another 100 more important things from several other movies which were based on books. True, you may say that this isn't so important, but what if, this were the most important scene for a reader. When they see the film, it's completely different! My point is that the possibilities in books are endless. Sure technology is getting pretty advanced, but the sky is truly the limit for authors writing books. There will always be limits to what people can do in movies, but never in books.

Now, I will state my own reasons:

1. Books allow for more character development. The feeling of "getting to know" a character through the pages of a book, isn't something you'd get in a film. You are also able to know the characters' thoughts. By knowing the characters' thoughts, you get to know the characters better and often understand the story better, unlike a film.

2. More details of the story are shared through books. You can only fit so much into a 2 hour movie. Books can be pages upon pages. There's always so much more to a story when you read the book, once again, unlike a film.

3. As you're reading a book, you get to use your imagination to create the characters, setting, and how the actions play out. Once a movie comes out, it ruins your ability to fit the book to your liking because all you can think about is the movie's interpretation, which sets limits to your freedom.

Thank you (for making it to the end) ! :)

ChloeMcIverFloyd

Con

ChloeMcIverFloyd forfeited this round.
boom101

Pro

Well, now that's quite a shame. I was really looking forward to an intense debate, Con.

I hope in the next round Con rebuts on my reasons, and introduces some reasons from their side. Meanwhile I will introduce new reasons, and elaborate more on some reasons that I have mentioned above as to why books are better than movies:

Books last longer, have a more intense relationshipe, and are generally far more personal than movies.

A movie may be great and exciting, albeit this is done in 3 hours at most! That's all you can squeeze out of it. A book is a friend, you can take it with you, drown in it when you're bored, and turn to it when you need a healthy distraction. It transports you into another world, a movie rarely, if ever does that. Also, when a book transports you into another world, it's only you to transport, not the other 200 people sitting in the cinema with you, just YOU. Reading is also a much more personal experience, where you get to know the characters on a much more in-depth level, because you see them grow and because they are YOUR characters, they look just the way you want them to look, not through a director's eyes. In movies there is much less engagement. You get what you get and that's it. They may be exciting, possibly even more exciting than a book depending on the story, but its a short lived thing, you're a spectator and no more. It's much harder to really identify with characters in a movie, unlike a novel.

Thank you :) I also apologise for the numerous grammatical mistakes which I have made in the previous rounds (I was typing on an iPad, which made it increasingly difficult, I do apologise for the misconvenience, guys.)

ChloeMcIverFloyd

Con

ChloeMcIverFloyd forfeited this round.
boom101

Pro

My fellow opponent has not informed me as to why they have forfeited nearly all rounds, because of this I will not state any more reasons. This is also because the above two rounds seem sufficient.

Vote fairly. :)

ChloeMcIverFloyd

Con

I have forfeited nearly all of the rounds because of the fact this debate is ludicrous. How can I spend hours of my life writing arguments on things like, " Books are better than movies," when I could be debating things that actually matter to people? I feel contrite that I did not inform you of this sooner, but I was busy at school. Everyone who reads this, please vote for Pro. She deserves it, and she put a lot of work into her arguments, she also took this seriously when I could not, (I know that I should have, but when I got on the site today and saw all of her arguments, I just thought, "Wow, I can't beat this.")

I hope you all understand, and please vote for Pro. Thank you for reading this to the end.
Posted by ChloeMcIverFloyd 3 years ago
ChloeMcIverFloyd
Yeah, I get it. I hope you find time to make your debate, I am sure you will do great.
Posted by boom101 3 years ago
boom101
Thank you. But that is, if I get time? I mean, school is about to start next week or something. Anyhow, thank you.
Posted by ChloeMcIverFloyd 3 years ago
ChloeMcIverFloyd
Oh, no. I wouldn't mind. When I stated this debate I should have made sure I would have time to finish it. I hope that the next person you get to debate this topic with makes sure they will have time to finish the debate.

I wish you the best of luck with your new debate on this topic. :)
Posted by boom101 3 years ago
boom101
Thank you Con. Though, I really wished for an intense debate. If you don't get offended can I repost the same topic for a new debate, with this topic with anyone (If I bother then, because school is starting for me)?
Posted by ChloeMcIverFloyd 3 years ago
ChloeMcIverFloyd
Thank you pro, but my first round doesn't even compare to yours. But thank you very much. All of your arguments were great.
Posted by boom101 3 years ago
boom101
Awww... thank you Con. I seriously appreciate your honesty. No, voters don't vote me, vote equally. Con, your first round was very good.
Posted by boom101 3 years ago
boom101
*Either way a busy person still uses time.

Apologises once again, for the mistake.
Posted by boom101 3 years ago
boom101
*A busy person can download the novel on a tape, CD or your MP3 player as well so that can they can listen to the book when they are doing something that requires their hands but not too much thinking.

I made a grammatical mistake, apologises.
Posted by boom101 3 years ago
boom101
*Rule(s): All the references, and bibliography are to be listed at the end of every round.
Apologies. :)
Vote Placed by Krazzy_Player 3 years ago
Krazzy_Player
boom101ChloeMcIverFloydTied
Vote Placed by larztheloser 3 years ago
larztheloser
boom101ChloeMcIverFloydTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct for the FF. Args because pro had and met BOP. Con had some pretty awesome arguments too, but didn't rebut the arguments that allowed pro to meet their BOP, so anything that they said doesn't matter. Message me for individual feedback.