Riversidegirl4life
BA_BA_BA

Books are superior to the Kindle

BA_BA_BA

Riversidegirl4life

Pro

I saw that you debated someone with someone else, but had a very limited word limit, so I'd like to give you to opportunity to debate this with a longer word limit. 1st round acceptance, unless you'd like to present your points! It's your choice. Please accept.
BA_BA_BA

Con

I accept. Thank you for your consideration.
Riversidegirl4life

Pro

Riversidegirl4life forfeited this round.
BA_BA_BA

Con

Please debate this. I will give my first argument.
1. You can store a lot of books on it for car trips and can buy books even while you are busy doing something like driving.
2. It can hold together if dropped from a reasonable height, unlike books.
I will bring in more arguments as you refute.
Riversidegirl4life

Pro

Sorry I missed a round.

1. "You can store a lot of books on it"
This is just as much a disadvantge as an advantage. A kindle is so easily lost or stolen. You could leave it in a coffee shop, leave it in a hotel, lose it while travelling, get it stolen at school, get it stolen if your house is robbed, get it pick pocked, it could fall off the top of a bookshelf, it could fall in the bath, it could fall in the swimming pool- the list goes on and on! Although all these things could happen just as easily to a book- when you do leave your copy of the Da Vinci Code in a coffee shop- that's just it. You've lost one book. You leave your kindle in a coffee shop and you could easily have just lost 80 books. That would cost so much to replace, and you've lost SO many books as opposed to just one. We all have our disorganised moments where we leave a book in a hotel, or something like that. The kindle just doesn't cater for situations like this, which is a major flaw in the machine.

1. "can buy books even while you are busy doing something like driving."
People shouldn't be on an electronic device while driving! They should have their eyes on the road!

2. "It can hold together if dropped from a reasonable height, unlike books."
Proof please. If you drop a book from a three meter height, the cover may bend but it will still be readable. Try reading a kindle after a three meter drop. As much as a book can become disfigured- it is still readable; the words are still there in black and white. Once a kindle has smashed, you can't read off it again. The text is gone.

One of the main reasons why I beleive that books are superior to kindles is that kindles just dont cater for everyone! A kindle is prety much for people who make a good income (or their parents do) and are between the ages of 10 and 50. Who's going to go out and buy a kindle for their 4 year old son? He won't be able to fingure out how to buy books or select one to read. It's just not kitted out for children. A book, however, is. You can buy a book for a kid as young as one. Imagine teaching your daughter how to read on a kindle. It's just impractical (not to mention the lack of colour. I'm sure kids in the future will learn just as much from colourful books as kids today and in the past did).

But, there's also the other end of the spectrum. The elderly. I love visiting my town library when I'm out and about and don't have much to do. Libraries are free, which means that anyone can sign up for a card which takes about 6 minutes, and then they have unlimited access to books, as long as they dont have more than 12 out at a time (the rules for my library). The library in my town really caters for the elderly. My grandma loves taking out books, and I don't think she'd be too happy if she had to spend a huge portion of her already low pension on a machine, and then spend MORE money buying every book she wants to read! Yes, eBooks are cheaper than normal books, but certainly not cheaper than library books!

Another reason why I beleive that books are better than kindles is that books are much more versatile! Don't you remember when you were a kid and you'd read the Mr Men books, or those ones where you feel the "fluffy duck" and the "scaly lizard". The colourful illustrations, the fun covers- now imagine reading Dick and Jane in black and white on a cold hard tablet. It's just not the same. A book has a personality. It could be old and dusty, new and shiny, they can have torn old dust covers and yellowing pages. A book is a work of art. A kindle is not.

Thanks for reading, I look forward to your rebuttal.

BA_BA_BA

Con

1. Please be reasonable. No one is going to be reading in the tub or swimming pool even though those may break it. Only irresponsible people are going to be doing half of those things you said and if they are that irresponsible they should not have ANY electronic devices. As for robbery and theft it is easy to keep your home safe and you should take proper measures before you buy comfort items. The same can happen to anything, like a TV. With pick pocketing it is unreasonable that they would take it seeing as you don't store a kindle in your pocket as it is too big. Also, who would steal it. Most robbers don't read a lot because they are too poor to get an education. If you are responsible you also don't put your kindle 3 meters in the air with it balancing on the edge of a bookshelf. Also when traveling, you either have it in your hand or in your luggage. And if not there it will be right next to you where you can see it. Although it is not impossible to lose them, there is only a small chance of doing so if you are responsible and careful.
2. I am sorry for that not being clarified. I mean that when you are on a long car ride (From Wisconsin to Florida) you can buy the books as your guardian drives.
3. Three meters is not a reasonable height. That is about ten feet and I don't think a lot of houses have eleven or twelve foot ceilings. When I say reasonable I mean about three feet. The only proof I need is the fact I have done this myself and so has a friend of mine.
4. Of course you are not going to give a 4 year old a kindle. Do you give a four year old a Television or a iPod. NO!!!!! Of Course not. Kids need to mature and be responsible before they get electronics. If you did not like electronics, then why are you on DDO. I agree with you that they are only for good income families but so what. Other people may not have the education to read. The library is a great resource but you can't hold books forever or for much longer than a month (my library's rules) My family had trouble with that before for a homework assignment where you had to read the book and keep it for questions. Unfortunately, We only had one day to get it and the library was out of copies. So we bought the book on the kindle and read the book right away. No time wasted.
5.Great argument. I agree with you on that point.
6. Sorry, but I can't relate. I was a strong reader right out, due to family help. So I never really got to enjoy those books. This may sound really heartless but if books are works of art, and art is in the museums, then, using common logic, I can deduce books belong in museums.
Riversidegirl4life

Pro

Rebuttal:

1. " No one is going to be reading in the tub or swimming pool even though those may break it. "
I've read a book in a bathtub before. I've also read a book while on an inflatable lilo. I'm sure many voters will agree. What you said is true- that people are unlikely to read a book in the tub or pool, which makes them inferior to books. Put it this way.
1a. A person has a desire to read while in the bath.
2a. A paper book meets this need.
3a. A kindle does not.
4a. Ergo, the book is superior to the kindle as it meets the desire proposed.

2. "Only irresponsible people are going to be doing half of those things you said and if they are that irresponsible they should not have ANY electronic devices."
Just because you have the potential to lose something doesn't mean you shouldn't ever get it. People lose phones, it's a fact of life. Are you stating that if someone has the possibility to once, absent mindedly leave something on a bus or in a hotel cupboard while in a rush- they should never own a laptop/phone/ipod? I'm not saying you said that, just asking because it sounds pretty much like what you're saying.

3. "As for robbery and theft it is easy to keep your home safe and you should take proper measures before you buy comfort items."
Some people can't afford to have a 100% effective alarm system with rapid response, or barbed wire walls around their house, or security guards just a call away. Just because someone has enough money to indulge in an electronic device, doesn't mean that by doing so they should invest in a multi-hundred dollar security system. It's not feasible!

4. "With pick pocketing it is unreasonable that they would take it seeing as you don't store a kindle in your pocket as it is too big. "
Check your sources. This advert for a kindle shows a guy putting it in his pocket (3)

5. "Also, who would steal it. Most robbers don't read a lot because they are too poor to get an education."
You do realise that most robbers would sell a kindle after stealing it, like at a pawn store or on ebay. That's basically the reason they steal them. The chances of them stealing a teenager's kindle so they can go home, snuggle up and read the latest book in the Twilight saga is pretty unlikely.

6. " Also when traveling, you either have it in your hand or in your luggage."
Yes... and luggage can be stolen. (2)

7. "you can buy the books as your guardian drives."
Is this really helpful though? Usually when I'm going on a long car drive, I pack three or four long books in my day bag, and I have rarely felt the desire to buy a book while my parents are driving. It's just a luxury that kindle owners make use of, that isn't actually needed or desired by most people driving. If you don't sit in the car and think "at the next stop I'm getting up and buying a book!" then you don't need to buy one on your kindle.

8. "Three meters is not a reasonable height."
Okay, I admit three meters isn't normally a height one would drop something from. I was just making the point that there isn't really a height which a book, if dropped from, would become unreadable. There is, however, one for a kindle.

9. Do you give a four year old a Television or a iPod. NO!!!!! Of Course not. Kids need to mature and be responsible before they get electronics.
I wasn't in anway suggesting that people should give kindles to children. Lets follow a similar logic to my first rebuttal.
9a. There is a desire for a four year old to read a book.
9b. A paper book fufills this desire.
9c. An eBook does not fufill this desire
9d. Paper books meet desires which kindles don't.
9e. Ergo, the book is superior to the kindle.

10. "If you did not like electronics, then why are you on DDO"
I didn't say I don't like electronics. I said that a book was more suitable for a child than an electronic device.

11. "I agree with you that they are only for good income families but so what. Other people may not have the education to read."#
So only people who can splash out $140 (£89) on a kindle are clever enough to read? That's pretty narrow minded, not to mention insulting. In Britain, which is where I live, education is free. The same applies to the USA, and the majority of the countries in the world, so your argument that people who don't have $140 to spend on an electronic device are not educated is invalid. Did it occur to you that the average pension is about $3400 a month? After bills, food and clothes, pensioners may not have enough money for a kindle. Does this mean that they can't read too?

12. "The library is a great resource but you can't hold books forever or for much longer than a month"
I didn't say that libraries were perfect. They're great for reading a book which you're not going to spend more than a month on. For long term solutions like you mentioned, charity shops and second hand bookshops are a great resource as they are really cheap and help charity. (and the book is yours)

13. " if books are works of art, and art is in the museums, then, using common logic, I can deduce books belong in museums."
You know what is also art? Curtains, and rugs, and lamp shades, and plates! Just because something is pretty doesn't mean it belongs in a museum. Imagine how boring people's houses would be.

1. http://infashion2011.com...
2. http://online.wsj.com...
3. http://www.youtube.com...;
4. http://en.wikipedia.org...
BA_BA_BA

Con

1.Okay, suppose one does read in the bath. Whether reading kindle or paperback, if you drop it, the device/ book is ruined.

2. What I am saying is people who have a tendency to lose things (There are such people) really do not need technology or small things they can lose.

3. A multi-million home is not proper measures. It is eccentric. Proper measures include, Keeping windows shut on the ground floor, locking doors, shutting your garage, and other such common things.

4. Thank you but the advertisement can not be trusted. I checked to see if it fit in my pockets but it didn't. Also, you do realise when something that big is pulled.

5. Sorry, bad argument.

6. thanks but that source does not work. If driving, it is difficult for a robber to steal luggage unless he pulls you over, forces you out of the car, and then proceeds to rob you.

7. Well, it is easier to hold onto one book rather than three or four. Also, If you run out of books to read(car ride goes longer than expected) than you can get new books rather than be bored.

8. Yes, but the height of dropping a kindle is hard to achieve unless you have set out with a passion to destroy your kindle. This can also happen with books. It is just as likely.(not at all)

9. Giving a little kid a paper book it a disaster waiting to happen. The kid is prone to tantrums and will most likely tear the pages creating a greater mess than the kindle would make.

10. I apologise for accusing you wrongly.

11. Sadly but you source is unreliable. The average salary for the American family is $46,326.[1] However it is even higher than that because that counts in all the unemployed and people who don't want a job. At least $65000. I would like to point out I said may. I was saying some (like the family's that don't want to work) will not be able to read.

12. Sadly, but these places are usually not at the average street corner and the some time to get to, unlike the kindles. I will use your lovely little chart.
12a) You need to get a book fast to work on homework.
12b) It is late at night and the book shops near you are closed.
12c) it will take too long to get to the nearest open book shop and back.
12d) The kindle provides instant purchasing and reading.
12e) Kindles are superior to books.

13. Not really. Books can be expensive. Lamps and couches are usually new and crisp and are replaced in about 5-15 years[2]. However books can last long periods of time and are sometimes a lot more expensive than couches. In fact the most expensive book I could find was Leonardo Da Vinci's Codex Leicester which is worth $30.8 million.[3] the least expensive book on kindle is only $6,232.00 (Nuclear Energy by K. Heinloth)[4] and the kindle is, according to you, $140

sources:
1. http://www.mybudget360.com...
2. forums.kiplinger.com/showthread.php?16880-Furniture
3. http://most-expensive.net...
4. http://www.amazon.com...
Riversidegirl4life

Pro

BA_BA_BA

Con

You have forfeited two of the rounds. you obviously aren't committed to his debate. I will sum up with my original points as well as some we have come along to.
1. It has a large storing capacity so you can read multiple books on a long car trip on one device rather than carry four or five books around. You can buy books immediately and not have to drive to a book store or library.
2.It can drop from a reasonable height (three feet.)
3. It is strong enough to survive most things unless you are out to destroy it.
I would have a few more points, but sadly my opponent decided not to debate in this argument.
Vote Con!!!!!! :)
Posted by BA_BA_BA 5 years ago
BA_BA_BA
I havn't won yet, but thanks, this was a fun debate
Posted by Riversidegirl4life 5 years ago
Riversidegirl4life
thanks, well done for winning!
Posted by BA_BA_BA 5 years ago
BA_BA_BA
okay, I am sorry for you and hope things are okay.
Riversidegirl4life
Sorry for not posting the last round. Some stuff has gone down with people very close to me and I just didn't have the time to go on many websites. Not trying to milk votes, just letting my opponent know that it isn't due to uncommittment or whatever you accused me of.
Vote Placed by 1dustpelt 5 years ago
1dustpelt
Riversidegirl4lifeBA_BA_BATied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited, leaving bad conduct and arguments unanswered.