Russia_The_almighty
Kylar

Border Fence

Russia_The_almighty

Russia_The_almighty

Con

People suggest putting up a border fence to stop illegal immigration from Mexico where it mainly is such as my opponent I have challenged, Kylar. Am I against illegal immigration, mainly yes, but a fence won't do.
I would say more, but I will wait for my opponent to accept
Rules:
1. No plagiarism.
2. Maintain appropriate conduct.
3. Pro must prove a border fence should be put up at the US-Mexican border.
4. Con must prove a border fence should not be put up at the US-Mexican border
Round 1 Acceptance
Round 2-4 Arguments and rebuttals
Round 5 Conclusions and final rebuttals.
Kylar

Pro

I gladly accept this debate with you my friend and thank you for the offer of debate. This should be a good debate.
Russia_The_almighty

Con

I thank Kylar for accepting this. Let us see if we can change each others viewpoints on the border fence or just have a good debate.
Now lets begin!
Do you really think a fence will stop people from coming to America from Mexico?
I can think of 5 ways to get around 10 foot fence which is what many think is how tall it should be.
1. Give a person/people a leg up for him/her to get to the top to pull you up.
2. Get a boat to secretly enter Texas by reaching the closest port to Mexico.
3. Use a ladder or rope.
4. Knock part of it down.
5. Make a tunnel under it.
I could say more, but those are right of the bat.
A fence isn't going to stop people from going to America. In fact it will likely only slow them down by a few minutes. Plus do you realize the cost to build a 700 mile fence that will barely slow anyone down? A huge waste of taxpayers money! This is going to be the son of the Berlin Wall! Less effective and people from one side will take risks attempting to reach the other side. A fence should not be put up because it simply won't work. Plus this won't be good in other reasons. What if a company(s) wants to sell some of its merchandise in Mexico because in Mexico there is high demand, but low supply and by land would seem cheapest assuming they don't take the fence into account? Well this is a fence and I doubt there will be very many if there are any gates to pass through. So the company(s) may end up spending more money causing them to have to raise prices to already poor Mexicans. It doesn't get much better after that.
For those pro environmental protection listen to this, IT HARMS THE ENVIRONMENT!
https://www.youtube.com...
Most animals can't easily cross a 10 foot fence unless they can fly. The fence would basically cut up habitats which is not good for endangered species. Also If it goes through rivers, mainly the Rio Grande that basically makes a dam which means part of that river is blocked also not good for animals or water suplies. So unless you want a few endangered species to die, cause a reduction in water supplies, and to change the name of the Rio Grande to the Rio Pequeno, a border fence won't be good.
Now onto my solution. Have guards patrol with vehicles the border let's say around 2,000-3,000 meaning less than to 1 guard per 1/4-1/3 mile. Your solution could only work factoring in the guards and would merely just cost more and be bad for the environment
http://www.csmonitor.com...
Your turn, if you dare!
Kylar

Pro

I thank you my friend for this debate.
Yes, you need guards to patrol the border. But a border fence will help secure it more. The border fence will act as a visual deterrent. It could show, along with guards and tanks. They will detain and deport all illegal immigrants. And not only that they will help show that illegals will not be tolerated.
This is what I say for Round I of arguments, thanks for the debate friend :)
Russia_The_almighty

Con

That was.......quick. I expected to wait an hour of playing Mario and then come back to wait another minute. Nevertheless lets continue!
You are pro environmental protection am I right? Well apologies if I insult you or anything. If I do I did not intend it, but that is hypocritical since the border fence would hurt the environment based on my previous reasons and source. The cost would take millions even billions of taxpayers money to do. Also as I said it may hurt businesses. I say a few thousand soldiers, AFVS, and tanks give a clear message that says "Don't come unless you want to be legal". I just don't see why we should bear the financial burden of this and nature to bear the environmental burden. No matter what we do we can't deny that illegals will keep coming. However we can at least try to slow the flow with soldiers. Plus if the corrupt Mexican government ever decides to do a stupid move like attack America the US soldiers there could hold them off until support arrives while if the fence is destroyed by the Mexican army, there goes another few billion dollars of taxpayers money.
I wish my friend good luck.
Kylar

Pro

You will never insult me as I am very respectful of other views my friend :). I am naturally a quick debater :).
My arguments are these

We Need the Fence

Policing borders has been integral to the preservation of nations around the globe for centuries. The construction of a fence to safeguard American citizens from illegal activities is in the best interest of the nation.

Illegal immigration is estimated to cost the United States millions of dollars in lost income tax revenue. It also drains government spending by overburdening social welfare, health and education programs.

The use of physical barriers and high-tech surveillance equipment increases the probability of apprehension. The fences that are currently in place have shown success.

Arizona has been the epicenter for crossings by illegal immigrants for several years. Last year, authorities apprehended 8,600 people trying to enter the U.S. illegally in the Barry M. Goldwater Range.

The number of people caught crossing San Diego's border illegally has also dropped dramatically. In the early '90s, about 600,000 people attempted to cross the border illegally. After the construction of a fence and increasedborder patrols, that number dropped to just 153,000 in 2007.

Source: http://immigration.about.com...
Russia_The_almighty

Con

While you may be correct in your points, it still seems to me like a second Berlin Wall that like the first will eventually fall. The environment will suffer because of this. Taxpayers would have to bear the great financial burden. Depending on what the fence is made of or how tall it is will be(most want to say 10 feet) The cost will either grow or lessen. The border fence will have to be sturdy so concrete, steel, other metals, seem like the most valid options. Also a fence/wall require maintenance. What happens if there is an explosion close to or at the wall? Whelp there goes another million of taxpayers money. Companies wanting to send products to and from Mexico will not do as good without a fence. Legal immigration from Mexico might slow with a wall to deal with. Mexico used to have Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, Utah. California(until we beat their @$$), and now they see a wall. People tried so hard to get past the Berlin Wall and were at a far higher risk of being killed than Mexicans passing into America. Its going to go like this, tens of thousands of Mexican from Mexico and the US are going to go towards the wall demanding it is taken down with what your typical riot has. What are going to do? If the soldiers there decide to shoot, imagine what we would be considered. A democracy to authoritarian government. If you think even with all this evidence that they were threatened we wouldn't be considered bad, yeah look at several court cases. Even with plenty of evidence free black people had in America proving they are free, they could still possibly be thrown into slavery. Even though the jury ruled that in Ferguson that officer fired in self-defense, that din't quell the angry mobs that followed afterwards. So America would basically look like China, where if the government wants to do something, its gonna happen. Then to look kin of good we will then tear the wall down. Several billion dollars of taxpayers money down the drain. I just don't see how this wall could be any better than just placing border patrols, tanks, trucks, and such instead.
Kylar

Pro

Thank you so much for the debate :). It has been good so far, and you may yet persuade me over to your side.
There is a good point in that the border fence will have to be very sturdy, and very well made. The fence must be high too, and able to barricade the illegal immigrants. Yes it would cost a lot of money, in truth to maintain. Now we as Americans would not kill them, no. We would not kill illegal immigrants. However, we would need to send them back in peace to their nations.
If an explosion did occur, we could potentially to keep out the illegal immigrants, ask for a little more money.
I do not want to seem socialist, but I think we need the fence to keep them out.
Thanks for the debate my friend :)
Russia_The_almighty

Con

Final Rebuttal: Unless they are heavily equipped with riot shiels and other gear, they might panic and fire if there is a massive crowd on two sides.
Conclusion: This was a fun debate. I thank you.
Kylar

Pro

Final statements: I agree with you 100%
This was a great debate, thank you my friend :)
Posted by Nivek 1 year ago
Nivek
" I expected to wait an hour of playing Mario and then come back to wait another minute. Nevertheless lets continue!"

lol
Vote Placed by The-Voice-of-Truth 1 year ago
The-Voice-of-Truth
Russia_The_almightyKylarTied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession by Pro.
Vote Placed by Lexus 1 year ago
Lexus
Russia_The_almightyKylarTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro concedes in final round
Vote Placed by tejretics 1 year ago
tejretics
Russia_The_almightyKylarTied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession.