Hail_Myself
abard124

Both Atheists and religious-believers are wrong.

Hail_Myself

Pro

Atheists believe that there is no God. They believe that before the Universe there was nothing (As most scientific theories claim).

Religious-believers (mainly Christians) believe there is a God. They believe before the Universe there was just God.

They are both wrong. I am the only one I know with this belief. I believe that there is a God, but he is not some elderly man with long hair, blowing in the wind, with long robes upon the clouds. I believe that God is not a man, nor a woman, God is an it. It is an energy with infinite knowledge and power. God was the only thing that existed, untill it decided to use its powers to created Universes. It created multiple Universes with differing physics. God is simply using the Universes like an ant farm, watching what it does out of curiousity.

Many parts of the Bible are false. Many parts are true. God created us in his image. And that is true, so if we were to look upon the Universe and find intelligent life, we would find Humans. God created Humans to look after his world he was given. Do you believe in Jesus? I do. But I do not think he was God, or his son. I believe he was a spirit created by God in order to deliver a message to the people of Earth, and of course other planets with Humans.

I think that this is the true belief, and I am correct.

I may not hold a strong position in this arguement, but hey, I try. :/
abard124

Con

You make a good argument, and I agree with some points, but I would argue that they are neither right nor wrong, your ideas and mine included.
First a bit of background. I myself consider myself Atheist, Agnostic, and Jewish. I will explain that for you. I am Jewish in title only, in other words, I call myself Jewish, but that is the only think that keeps me in. Conservative Judaism isn't lie fundamentalist Christianity. As long as you call yourself Jewish, you're in. I definitely don't believe in God, but I'm not sure whether there is "something."
Let's get back to the argument. The way I'll formulate it is to provide some points for and against each one and then make a closing statement.
Atheists believe that there is nothing. It makes sense, because the idea of some all-powerful guy controlling how everything works is kind of ludicrous. If it is true, how come there are so many discrepancies? Nothing can just say, "let there be light," and then there's light. That's crazy. However, on the other side, just look at our cell structure, mitosis, DNA, etc. It can't be a coincidence.
I'm not going to specify any religion, so I'll just use the blanket category of "believer." Believers believe in a God. God has to exist. Look at how perfectly everything works, in the scheme of things. Look at DNA. Every one of your characteristics are based on the nitrogen compounds of Adenine, Guanine, Thymine, and Cytosine. How can that be? God. Look at Mitosis. It never messes up. The cell grows, with all of its Organelles. Then the DNA splits perfectly. Helicase breaks it open every time. DNA polymerase almost always brings the right nucleotide. How can it be that perfect? God. However, there are so many contradicting thoughts that all they are are opinions. Opinions of what God is. Now, if something exists, than there should never be opinions on what something is. It's basic logic. You can see something you've never seen before, and think it is something, and your friend can think something completely different. However, that is a hypothesis, not an opinion. Also, If God exists, how come bad things still happen. Some things, like natural disasters, (A.K.A. Acts of God) are understandable. However, If God has the power to take away life, why didn't he kill Hitler and Himmler and Mengele and Eichmann before the Holocaust got so bad? Why isn't Omar Al Bashir dead? Many people would have benefited from the deaths of Agustin Bizimungu and George Ruteganda. Why didn't God strike them down? Quite simple: he is not real.
Now, let's discuss your thoughts. It is an interesting idea. It makes more sense than many other beliefs. It uses practicality and nature to formulate, and is plausible. I still have to find ways to disprove it, though. Luckily, I have a few. The only way to have knowledge is to have either a brain or a computer, which must be made of matter. Your God is made of energy. There are only a few kinds of energy, and although they are used in thought, it wouldn't work without the brain, which is made of matter. I am also not a big believer in infinity. My last issue with your belief is that, if God has infinite knowledge, then he knows everything, including what would happen in his "ant farms." He wouldn't have curiosity because he'd already know.
Every belief is true. Every belief is also false. That may seem contradictory, and that's mostly because it is. However, it's one of the few occasions where contradiction is okay. The real answer is that we don't know, so for now, everything is right and everything is wrong.
You had some good ideas. It's an interesting belief system, and it makes sense, except for a few problems.
Posted by abard124 7 years ago
abard124
I interpreted Religious believers to mean those who follow a specific religion, such as Christianity.
Posted by sabrafink 7 years ago
sabrafink
This is a great debate guys!! But what is meant by religious believers? Theists? Because I am not an expert or anything, but those are the only options.
Posted by Epicism 7 years ago
Epicism
There goes DATCMOTO preaching in the comments again.. You like to ENUNCIATE your WORDS too MUCH is all I got from that. :P
Posted by RoyLatham 7 years ago
RoyLatham
Pro made no affirmative case, just stated a belief. The belief he stated affirmed a god, contracting what we might guess the resolution to be.
Posted by DATCMOTO 7 years ago
DATCMOTO
Hail_Myself: It is not astounding that you alone have managed to work out who God is? That you alone happen to be right?
You have it EXACTLY upside-down.. you have endeavoured to 'create' God.. as you would like Him to be.. someone you do not 'owe' anything to.
NO, God created YOU. And you SHALL be called to account when you stand before Him, as we ALL must.
Jesus Christ is THE Truth, THE Way and THE Life.
(you do have an unusually honest, however tongue in cheek, user name however..)
Posted by Ragnar_Rahl 7 years ago
Ragnar_Rahl
Religion is not merely a term to describe it's opinions. At best, it's a term to describe deeply held values and the opinions from which they spring. The opinion "Yo' momma is fat," for most people, is not religion.
Posted by s0m31john 7 years ago
s0m31john
beem0r said rectum.

wat
Posted by rougeagent21 7 years ago
rougeagent21
Everyone is religious. Whether or not your belief is in God, aliens, or the big bang, everyone has opinions. "Religion" is simply a term to describe these opinions. Since everyone is religious, including you, hail, you must specify further.
Posted by beem0r 7 years ago
beem0r
If only most religious people so openly admitted their beliefs to be wild conjecture pulled ex rectum.
Posted by TheSkeptic 7 years ago
TheSkeptic
"What is your resolution? Just that both Atheists and Theists are incorrect, or that you are correct (in the beliefs you outlined)."

Well if the beliefs he outlined were to be correct, than Atheists and Theists are wrong. He's probably a Deist - Christian...of weird sorts o.O (look at his profile for the Christian thing).
Vote Placed by abard124 7 years ago
abard124
Hail_Myselfabard124Tied
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 7 years ago
RoyLatham
Hail_Myselfabard124Tied
Vote Placed by KRFournier 7 years ago
KRFournier
Hail_Myselfabard124Tied
Vote Placed by Angrypants66 7 years ago
Angrypants66
Hail_Myselfabard124Tied
Vote Placed by rougeagent21 7 years ago
rougeagent21
Hail_Myselfabard124Tied
Vote Placed by EnragedParrot 7 years ago
EnragedParrot
Hail_Myselfabard124Tied
Vote Placed by trendem 7 years ago
trendem
Hail_Myselfabard124Tied