M4sterDeb8er
malcolmxy

Bowling is a sport

M4sterDeb8er
Started: 1/2/2013 Category: Sports

M4sterDeb8er

Pro

A nice short debate about whether or not bowling is a sport or not.

First round is acceptance, second round is arguments.

Semantics are perfectly acceptable.

Good luck!
malcolmxy

Con

As someone who earned a high school letter in bowling, and, when he could stomach participating, a 200+ average, I will accept this challenge and be taking the position of the Con - Bowling is not a sport. It is a game (and an excuse to drink and smoke).
M4sterDeb8er

Pro

Bowling is a sport because it fits the standard definition of a sport: an activity in which players use physical ability to complete a predetermined task in a manner that intended to be competitive and fun.

It is irrelevant that many bowlers are in poor physical shape, although, I'll point out, most skilled bowlers are in fact in excellent physical shape.

Bowling requires a measure of strength to throw the ball, no matter how little, it is intended to be competitive, and it is fun for the majority of people that play it.

I will note for the record that I myself have a 217 Sport Bowling average, and a 240 regular pattern average. I also lettered in 6 sports and activities in my high school career all four years: American Football, Academic League, Academic Decathlon, Tennis, Soccer, and Water Polo. I know sports pretty well.

In any case, I have proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that by definition, bowling is a sport, as per standard definition. Thank you for participating.

malcolmxy

Con

I'm sorry if I'm coming to the dance a little bit late. I was a bit distracted by ABC's broadcast of the National Tidly-Winks Association Championship Series. And, I don't have a lot of time to make my argument, because NBC is rebroadcasting the Major League Jarts World Series and following that up with the Professional Donkey Kong League "Princess Cup" Finals.

Bowling is a recreational activity that requires very little modification for paralyzed goats & retarded quadriplegics to participate (gutter "bumpers"). Even the esoteric scoring system, which used to set bowling apart somewhat from other drunken activities, is all but gone, and now all the game requires is a beer, a cigarette, the mental capacity to come up with a funny name to put in the "computer", the endurance to wear used shoes for 2 hours and the wherewithal to remember which ball is yours and which fingers go in which holes in that ball.

If you believe that's a sport, I've got a bridge to sell ya.
Posted by malcolmxy 4 years ago
malcolmxy
Would you have made the inference without my argument? If not, then whether you realize it or not, it was my argument that changed your opinion. Just because I didn't bore you silly with "facts" about bowling not being a sport, doesn't mean I didn't made several key points with my sarcasm - chief among them was that by Pro's definition of a sport, Donkey Kong is a sport.

I then went on to draw parallels between the non-sports I highlighted and bowling. If anyone is too obtuse to realize that, there's really nothing I can do about it.

("I changed my mind after reading your argument, but not because of your argument." Oh...must have been divine intervention.)
Posted by DoctorDeku 4 years ago
DoctorDeku
Also, I changed my agreement vote to tied after the debate because I had changed opinion after reading it. Not because of your arguments, but by inference of the arguments; I didn't give you vote because my change in option wasn't because of your argument.
Posted by DoctorDeku 4 years ago
DoctorDeku
The reason I didn't give you arguments was that you opposition wasn't all that compelling. Satire doesn't sit well as a vehicle of advocacy when you have so few characters and you're only reading it online.

Aside from that the conduct of the arguments made their conduct wholly unconvincing to me.
Posted by malcolmxy 4 years ago
malcolmxy
The IOC is comprised of retards, then. If one disregards the electrical impulses one's brain creates which travel through the nervous system, one requires ZERO physical interaction with the board to play chess (my guess is that Steven Hawking plays, but if not, some other immobile individual does).

That's not a sport. That's an activity, a game, a mental pursuit or something of that nature.

Now, Chessboxing - THAT is a sport.

If chess is a sport, then Scrabble is a sport and the definition of sport has become so broad as to be useless as a word.

Sport is derived from Middle English, and its original meaning was "game involving physical exercise."

Yeah, yeah, yeah... I didn't note that in my argument, nor source it. I know. I didn't think I had to.
Posted by likespeace 4 years ago
likespeace
Chess is actually recognized as a sport by the International Olympic Committee. 1,000 words? That is tricky! I just went through a debate like that myself. :)
Posted by malcolmxy 4 years ago
malcolmxy
I only had 1 round and a thousand characters. sheesh, and with my donkey kong/tiddly winks sarcasm, I was arguing semantics. you gotta multi-task when you're restricted like that.
Posted by M4sterDeb8er 4 years ago
M4sterDeb8er
There is a difference between using jest to win an argument and being too arrogant to admit that the opposing debater has formed a coherent argument.

And yes, according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, Donkey Kong IS a sport. There is a clear and natural distinction between vernacular definition and actual definition. I allowed you a rarity on this website, to argue semantics, and you absolutely refused to.

I somewhat agree with your argument about the second voter, but I suppose that can be justified by stating that he did not believe that you actually formed an argument, but rather declared a few things sarcastically and assumed that would suffice as debate.
Posted by malcolmxy 4 years ago
malcolmxy
Out of curiosity, the 2nd voter agreed with pro before the debate and was on the fence after the debate...how did I not have the more convincing argument?

And, I refuted pro through jest. By Pro's definition, Donkey Kong is a sport...
Posted by likespeace 4 years ago
likespeace
Pro provided the definition of "sport" and demonstrated that bowling fits it. Con neither challenged that definition of sport, nor challenged that bowling fails to meet it. Pro has met the burden of proof and is the clear winner in this debate.
Vote Placed by wrichcirw 4 years ago
wrichcirw
M4sterDeb8ermalcolmxyTied
Reasons for voting decision: I'm not sure why CON decided to go on a rant on his last round. Regardless, it lost him this debate.
Vote Placed by DoctorDeku 4 years ago
DoctorDeku
M4sterDeb8ermalcolmxyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con's conduct in this debate was atrocious first foremost; and their arguments where nothing but unwanted attacks against Pro.
Vote Placed by tmar19652 4 years ago
tmar19652
M4sterDeb8ermalcolmxyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Bowling fits the definition of a sport.