TheFlashGordon
PhantomEXO

Boxing Should be allowed as a School Sport

Started: 11/20/2015 Category: Sports

TheFlashGordon

Pro

Boxing should be taught as an extra curricular activity in schools. Boxing is good for you. You cannot box without getting fit just like you cannot swim without getting wet. That being said, having boxing in schools will help today's youth get in shape, as well as stay in shape. Nothing gets your blood pumping quite like boxing.
Boxing is also a sport you must commit to. It is not a sport you can play with emotion. You must prepare yourself mentally and physically for the task ahead. Mentally boxing teaches you control and makes you calmer. It demands respect, for yourself and others. Most people see the athletes as wild, crazy men and women; and while boxing may attract those of that nature, it transforms them into calm and collected athletes. It teaches them discipline. Boxing changes a man. So if they allowed boxing in schools, then maybe it would teach today's youth what many of them are missing, respect.
Boxing also teaches self defense. It would also end a fair share of bullying. If a bully knows that the person they are trying to pick on can fight, chances are they won't risk the embarrassment. As well as someone who is in boxing would not attempt to be the bully because they've learned the control and respect that was said earlier in the argument. Boxers don't see themselves as a force to be used outside of the ring. They see themselves as athletes. They realize what they are capable of and why they need to keep that inside the ring.
PhantomEXO

Con

Hello! First i would like to thank my opponet for letting my debate this topic with you.

I disagree, i do not think that boxing should be allowed to be catagorized as a school sport, or to be allowed in school at all. Boxing will actually increase the amount of bullying that goes on in school. The bullies will be able to box their opponets, and be allowed to beat the crap out of them, and get away with it. What will people do when they go up against a guy who can box? And worst of all, it would be allowed. The students getting bullied would have no chance at defending themselves from it. Thus boxing would be bad for bullied students.
TheFlashGordon

Pro

Boxing teaches discipline. It would teach kids to remain humble. But you stated the bullies will be able to box their opponents, and this is where you are wrong. The student who have a problem with each other will not get the chance to box each other. The closest they will get it a sparring session which are heavily controlled and safe. There is no better bond you can form with someone than when you are preparing another for a fight. So the people you have a chance to spar with will actually become some of your closest friends. You make the statement of "The students getting bullied would have no chance at defending themselves from it" as it the bully will always be a stronger force. But like I said, if the bully is not a boxer, and the victim is, chances are the bully won't risk the embarrassment of possibly getting beat if the victim chooses to retaliate. But vise-versa, if the bully is the boxer and the victim isn't I mentioned how boxing does teach respect. As a fighter myself, we do not see ourselves as a force. We know what it's like to have someone stronger and better trained go against us, and that makes us humble. We would never put someone in the situation of making them feel weak. But the possibility of that happening is still there. But just like any school sport, there would be penalties to such action. Maybe if one of the boxers does become a bully, he is done for the season. That would motivate the athletes to not bully, or get in trouble at all.
PhantomEXO

Con

Boxing will not only affect kids in school, but also for the rest of their lives. It will promote a,"beat the crap out of everyone"lifestyle. It will make kids first reaction to get angry and fight, so what happens when they marry and get a little angry? Child abuse, wife abuse, and even molestation can occur. It was proven in studies that people who box are 52.2% More likely to abuse their wives and children than people who dont box. It is a bad idea to have boxing in schools.
TheFlashGordon

Pro

Will it promote a "beat the crap out of everyone" lifestyle? A fighter can only excel in the sport with proper discipline and respect for themselves and others. May I ask for a reliable source for the 52.2% statistic you brought up? Just because someone knows how to fight, doesn't mean they walk around fighting everyone. Nature vs nurture. Your life and the way you treat others is completely dependent upon your upbringing and your lifestyle. Lately we have seen several football players involved in violent crimes including domestic violence, child abuse, and even murder. But we don't associate this violent behavior in correlation with the sport of football. So if we don't blame football for those violent crimes, why would we blame boxing? Maybe we should take football out of schools as well. Maybe we should take basketball as well since Kobe Bryant was accused of rape. What I'm saying is, the violent behavior of some, doesn't mean we should take the opportunities given in boxing away from today's youth. Child abuse, domestic violence, and even molestation are not brought upon because of boxing. That stuff all happens outside the ring, by people who have never fought a day in their life. It is brought on by the way you are raised, and your own mental state. You cannot blame a controlled sport for the act of people all around the world.
With all this being said I thank you for having this debate with me over the past few days. I do believe boxing should be allowed for today's youth as an extra curricular activity in today's schools. It teaches discipline and control, and it allows students to create a closer bond that they could not get anywhere else.
PhantomEXO

Con

I will give a source for the percentage.

I do not deny that that had happened to football players, as well as basketball. But it is a proven fact that things, like video games, can effect ones emotions and way of acting. It was shown in tests that even music effects ones emotions. Violent video games like Black Ops 1-3(I do play them)can and will effect ones emotions, and many have faced it. It even says on in the game,"WARNING, extended play may influence ones emotions." Thought not all violence can relate to things like this.

My sources~
https://www.wikipedia.org...
http://www.aaas.org...
https://www.google.com...