cghslaxforce
IraqiStateOfAmerica

Boxing is DEAD: Prepare the way for Mixed Martial Arts

Started: 12/15/2007 Category: Sports

cghslaxforce

Pro

Boxing is archaich and boring. It cannot bring the intensity of a real fight. They are not real fighters. Only in American culture could a fight with only the use of your hands flourish.

I testify to how much harder MMA is than boxing in any facet. From making weight to actual fights to the ultimate paycheck.
IraqiStateOfAmerica

Con

Boxing is one of the most popular games, especially in Europe and the Americas. Legends like Muhammad Ali, Jack Johnson, Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano, Benny Leonard, Mickey Walker along with many stars have brought worldwide fame and recognition to the sport. Boxing was earlier known by the name Pugilism, meaning sweet science. Ask any one on the street in America to name you at least two famous boxers and i guarantee you that they will give you at least three. Ask them to name you at least one famous MMA fighter and they will have a blank look on there face. Boxing is alive and would never die out. Its a multi-billion dollar corporation that brings fans from around the world together to watch two contenders duke it out. Last major event was in Las-Vegas between Floyd Mayweather and Ricky Hatton in which 25,000 Brits descended upon the strip to root on the British native. MMA although very fancy and sweet dosn't really get pulled off in the streets as much. I want to ask the people reading my argument... when was the last time you saw a major MMA fight on PPV? or sponsored by multi-million dollar corporations? Only time i actually witnessed a MMA fight was on a set of a Hollywood movie that i happened to stumble upon when i visited L.A. Historical evidence lead to the fact that boxing was prevalent in North Africa in 4000 BC. It was also popularly played in Greek and Rome.The rules were crude then and boxers often indulged into lethal boxing rounds with leather taped on to their bare hands. It was much much later However, the more recognizable development occurred during a time known as modern era in boxing. In the year 1866 and thats when the Gloves came on along with a set of rules and ever since boxing kept growing and never stoped since.
cghslaxforce

Pro

Allow me to dissect your argument so i can point out each weakness.

"Boxing is one of the most popular games, especially in Europe and the Americas."

Pay-Per-View UFC gets more viewers per event broadcasted than a Pay-Per-View Boxing match will get all year. This is due to the fact that boxers are much more pampered when it comes to their pay checks. They only have to fight once a year if they wanted to. Where as Chuck Lidell has had over 4 major fights this past year. Not even comparable.

"Ask any one on the street in America to name you at least two famous boxers and i guarantee you that they will give you at least three."

Guess what? All of the boxers that they will name are either retired or dead. I can think of maybe one exception and that is Mayweather. This proves that boxing is on the decline. And also it depends on the residence of the people you ask. If you ask someone from Ohio, Illinois, or Pennsylvania, they will be able to tell you 3 famous Olympian wrestlers. It all depends on where you poll. Your argument should be null and void at this point.

"Its a multi-billion dollar corporation that brings fans from around the world together to watch two contenders duke it out."

Yeah so is the UFC. Only when they say duke it out, they don't mean limited ducking is out. They mean really duking it out, like no referee to stop them from **hurting** each other once they get in a clinch. It incorporates all fight sciences.

"I want to ask the people reading my argument... when was the last time you saw a major MMA fight on PPV? or sponsored by multi-million dollar corporations?"

The Ultimate Fighter tv show and UFC 77, 78. I watch both. And there were neighborhood parties that hosted these events too so everyone could come and watch. The answer to your question, not even a month ago.

"It was also popularly played in Greek and Rome. The rules were crude then and boxers often indulged into lethal boxing rounds with leather taped on to their bare hands."

The ancient Greeks in their Olympics also had their own version of a no holds barred fighting sport. This is where we get greek legends like Arrichion, the fighter. Don't pull out a history lesson if you are ignorant of history.

All of you points in fact don't prove anything about an underscoring argument about which is harder. and that is obviously MMA.
IraqiStateOfAmerica

Con

Dear, debater
Allow me to clarify my position on this subject. I am a big fan of both UFC and Boxing and have viewed epic battles numerously in both rings on PPV. I highly respect any legit fighter, boxer or mixed martial artist who gets in a ring and "dukes it out" regardless of his and/or her winning/losing. When you talk about MMA you should have specifically mentioned UFC in your challange title. Regardless I shall continue on with this debate. So with that said "allow me to dissect your argument so i can point out each weakness."

"Boxing is archaich and boring." (believe you meant to say "archaic")

Who is to say what is "boring" in the first place? Many would believe what you or I are doing is very boring yet we still choose to come onto this website. For instance lets take the sport of "soccer" into consideration. I personally believe "soccer" is better form of entertainment then football. Although many might disagree with me there still wrong because we are all individuals and have our own likes and dislikes in this world. *Note- I said better form of entertainment and not a better form of a sport. we each have our own ways of entertainment.

"It cannot bring the intensity of a real fight."

As I recall on the eighth of December of the year 2007 I was in my living room, palms sweaty, heart pounding, up on my two feet in every round in the fight between Hatton and Mayweather I could hear A brass band playing in the upper deck, among thousands of British fans who packed the arena and needed little urging to stand up with beers in hand to sing "There's only one Ricky Hatton" to the tune of Winter Wonderland. Then i realized I was doing the same except I wasn't at the MGM grand and the only fans besides me where my buds from school screaming and cheering at every punch Hatton was landing on Mayweather (Ricky Hatton fans) And Somewhere in England and all over the United States regardless of being at the event, watching it on closed-circuit televisions(UK) or on PPV they were feeling the same "intensity of a real fight" that i was.

"They are not real fighters."

Needless to say, again who are you to decide if they are not "real fighters?
boxing is a very legit and valid form of fighting just like MMA. Each sport has its own unique contenders and forms of fighting. So comparing the two is like comparing oranges to tangerines and calling tangerines "not a real fruit".

"Only in American culture could a fight with only the use of your hands flourish."

And at the same time a sport that uses mixed martial art methods to take down there opponents is flourishing as well, truley that is a marvelous thing. I dont know how you actually see that as a bad thing in the first place.
That is highly ignorant of you on your behalf though because Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts (MMA) organization, currently recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. (http://en.wikipedia.org...)

"Pay-Per-View UFC gets more viewers per event broadcasted than a Pay-Per-View Boxing match will get all year."

Mayweather-De La Hoya fight sets pay-per-view records
Have you looked at the facts lately?
The fight, won by Mayweather, became the first to be purchased by more than two million U.S. households, HBO Pay-Per-View said. The 2.15 million buys beat the previous record of 1.99 million set with the rematch of Mike Tyson and Evander Holyfield in 1997.
At a $55 US price point, the fight generated revenue of $120 million in the U.S. alone. The fight was also broadcast on pay-per-view around the world, including in Canada. according to cbc
(http://www.cbc.ca...)

HBO's Dec. 8 Floyd Mayweather-Ricky Hatton pay-per-view boxing event punched out 850,000 buys, providing a fitting end to a record-setting year for the pay TV network. The fight drew $47 million in revenue, the highest tally ever for a PPV boxing match that did not feature a heavyweight fighter such as Mike Tyson or Evander Holyfield, or a Latino fighter like Oscar De La Hoya.
cghslaxforce

Pro

cghslaxforce forfeited this round.
IraqiStateOfAmerica

Con

I basically said what i had to say. Boxing, amateur boxing, kick boxing, MMA all sports have there own unique style and popularity among different crowds/age groups and aslong as any of these sports remain to be popular among just one person that sport will never die out.
Posted by Vikuta 9 years ago
Vikuta
MMA is my favorite sport. I think it is more interesting and exciting than boxing. However, saying that boxers are not real fighters is a lie. Fedor Emelianenko has boxed for most of his life. He is the greatest fighter in the world. It's true that a one-dimensional boxer doesn't stand much of a chance against a well-rounded MMA fighter. Is boxing dead? No. Is it dying? Maybe. I think MMA will overtake boxing in popularity, but boxing will always be around, just like wrestling, Muay Thai, submission grappling and other aspects of MMA will be.
Posted by wingnut2280 9 years ago
wingnut2280
I thought the topic was whether or not boxing was dying in the wake of MMA? Anyway, I think CON misses the argument. None of his arguments are responsive or topic relevant. Had PRO made a 3rd Rd. This is hands down. But, I have to do a little work to still award it to PRO. PRO addresses the topic better and gives weight to the argument. PRO.
Posted by kylevd 9 years ago
kylevd
"Boxing is a perfectly valid form of fighting and the athletes who participate in it are 'fighters' just like the guys who are a part of UFC."

it is perfectly valid, but the point is that when are you going to use boxing skills? if you got into a real life situation where you had to defend yourself would you use boxing skills that only use your hands or MMA that use every part of your body. when defending yourself, you dont want to minimize the strongest part of your body, your legs. you would want to use everything at your disposal.

"I challenge you to get in the ring with any professional boxer, then tell me whether or not they are 'real fighters'."

you wouldn't win, because you are not trained. they would simply pummel you. the real question is you put a boxer in with an MMA fighter and then you tell me who wins.
Posted by olivemike81 9 years ago
olivemike81
Boxing is a perfectly valid form of fighting and the athletes who participate in it are 'fighters' just like the guys who are a part of UFC. Just because they only use their hands doesn't mean they aren't fighters. I challenge you to get in the ring with any professional boxer, then tell me whether or not they are 'real fighters'.
Vote Placed by nrw 9 years ago
nrw
cghslaxforceIraqiStateOfAmericaTied
Vote Placed by Duron 9 years ago
Duron
cghslaxforceIraqiStateOfAmericaTied
Vote Placed by mrmatt505 9 years ago
mrmatt505
cghslaxforceIraqiStateOfAmericaTied
Vote Placed by braves442 9 years ago
braves442
cghslaxforceIraqiStateOfAmericaTied
Vote Placed by Hoyt13 9 years ago
Hoyt13
cghslaxforceIraqiStateOfAmericaTied
Vote Placed by IraqiStateOfAmerica 9 years ago
IraqiStateOfAmerica
cghslaxforceIraqiStateOfAmericaTied