Mockery
SirReed

Boys Should Be Allowed to Play with Dolls

Mockery

Mockery

Pro

I'm going to argue that it's okay for little boys to play with dolls
SirReed

Con

I will be arguing that boys should not play with dolls , and i will assume that by doll you mean a doll that a girl would play with, not GI Joe's, as they are action figure's, NOT dolls [1] (or a blow up sex doll for that matter,because eueee) I thank pro for this debate and shall begin!

First off lets talk about gender roles, yeah i know its not the 1950's and girls can wear pants and vote, men can cook and clean, but like it or not, gender rolls still exist [2]. Keep this in mind, and now think of what will happen to a boy that plays with dolls, we'll call him billy, he is a first grader, and like most kids loves to play at recess. And on one particular day billy decides to bring his favorite barbie doll's from home, its great they have high heels, they each have their own purse even a car to ride in, I don't know what ever the expensive barbies have. Anyway, He stars to play with them and is having fun. When all of a sudden Grossberger a 3th grader walks by and sees the dolls, he stares then smiles a wicked smile and shouts "Hey everyone billy plays with dolls!" then all the other kids at recess start to laugh and giggle calling him names, which makes poor billy run away, shoving the dolls in his bag as he try's to fight back tears. That's a unfortunate, unfair situation for little bill, but one that could be easily predicted.So boys should not play with dolls because in doing so they risk becoming social outcasts, who are endlessly made fun of.

Also, Boys are brutal, ferocious, little things packed full of energy ( i know i was one), they treat toys like south park treat's political correctness (poorly), so if a boy plays with doll's, he'll more then likely smash his doll's with rock's, and make them fight. Well then that's teaching him that violence against women is OK, and that's just terrible!
Mockery

Pro

Thank you for accepting my argument!

Now I understand that little kids are be mean but little kids can also be sweet and understanding. If Little Billy is playing with a doll, than maybe Sally will see it and say, "What a nice doll you have! Can we play together?" You are assuming that all kids will automatically judge Billy because he is doing something different. Yes, there are still gender roles but slowly, they are still changing and when they do, parents will teach their kids differently. Not all children are the same.

That and not all boys are the same either. Some boys like to play rough while others prefer to read a book. Honestly, it'll depend on the child. As for violence against women, I doubt a child would think violence against a woman would be okay just because he hit or destroyed a doll. A real parent would teach their kids at an early age that violence is wrong and not acceptable.

Your turn!
SirReed

Con

"Now I understand that little kids are be mean but little kids can also be sweet and understanding".

I'm not saying that kids can't be kind or "understanding", neither am i implying that in every situation they will be bullied or ostracized, i agree in certain situations. maybe even most , a boy could play with dolls and have no negative social repercussions. However is it worth letting your son face the unnecessary risk of being made more vulnerable to bulling, and the potential social problems that could arise? Again whether you like it or not, our society is filled with bullies and people who could be considered psychopaths. And a boy who play with dolls is going to be their red meat. Please skim a few of these articles and tell me if all kids are "sweet", most are... but it only take one to make a boys life a living hell. [1] [2] [3]

"That and not all boys are the same either. Some boys like to play rough while others prefer to read a book. Honestly, it'll depend on the child."

Yes that's true to a extent, I had friend's who were more academic, and other who were more physical, most fell somewhere in between. But nearly none, of us liked to play with dolls! Honestly how many boys play with dolls? Or want to for that matter? How many will pass the transformer or the G.I Joe or the power Ranger, or the Nerf Gun, for a cabbage patch kid? VERY FEW! Unless of course their parents are trying to make some pathetic political statement and are forcibly buying them dolls.

" Sally will see it and say, 'What a nice doll you have! Can we play together?' "
She's probably just looking for a Gay friend.

"As for violence against women, I doubt a child would think violence against a woman would be okay just because he hit or destroyed a doll. A real parent would teach their kids at an early age that violence is wrong and not acceptable."

Maybe, maybe not, but for the sake of our women we shouldn't take the chance!

I look forward to seeing your arguments.

[1] http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...
[2] http://latimesblogs.latimes.com...
[3] http://www.cnn.com...
Previous round Sources
[1] http://www.bradley.edu...
[2] http://www.cnn.com...
Mockery

Pro

You sent me articles about kids trying to kill other kids. You do realize that's just human nature right? Yes, it's sad that they are kids but sometimes, there are things out of our control. Maybe those kids were sick in the brain. You are trying to say that only boys are capable of violence? [1]

Again, you make it seem like every single boy is the same. You can't lump them all together. There are a lot of men who'd rather stay at home and do the cooking then work. You have to be more open minded about this because everyone is different. Did you forget that there are male models, fashion designers and even males who make dolls? [2]

Sally just wants a gay friend? Really? Do you have any idea how stupid that sounds? Most children don't even have a concept of gay when they're young. But if they do, I doubt that would be a big role in choosing to play with a boy who is playing with a doll. It's more like, "Hey, you're playing with something I like." When I was a kid, I was into Pokemon and so were most of the boys. Therefore, I hung out with the boys. It's that simple.

There is also this. I have a nephew. He is three. I collect dolls and he comes down to my room to play with them. He'll brush their hair and make them fight. He doesn't realize they are girls just yet. He just wants to play. That's all.

You turn!

[1]http://www.cbsnews.com...
[2]http://krwordgazer.blogspot.com...
SirReed

Con

"You sent me articles about kids trying to kill other kids. You do realize that's just human nature right? Yes, it's sad that they are kids but sometimes, there are things out of our control. Maybe those kids were sick in the brain.You are trying to say that only boys are capable of violence? [1]"

Yes it's its in our human nature to be violent, but how does this disprove my original assertion? It doesn't matter WHY people, specifically kids, are capable of cruelty, it only matters that some of them enjoy other people's suffering, and for what ever reason exist. And would gleefully pick on a boy who play's with dolls, as they are a easy target.

"You are trying to say that only boys are capable of violence? [1] "

This statement deserves its own explanation! Am i trying to say only boys can be violent? No, What I'm am saying is that CHILDREN are capable of cruelty, I'm not saying that they all want to shoot up their school, rather that like adults there are good kids, and there are bad kids, and a boy playing with dolls will be a easy target for the bad ones so maybe, they should play with something else, because dolls aren't the only toys they can enjoy. So ironically, the sources that you provided actually prove my point, as they show's that kids regardless of gender can be violent and vindictive.

"Again, you make it seem like every single boy is the same. You can't lump them all together. There are a lot of men who'd rather stay at home and do the cooking then work. You have to be more open minded about this because everyone is different. Did you forget that there are male models, fashion designers and even males who make dolls? [2]"

I'm not lumping them all together notice how i said "nearly" not all, but NEARLY all boys don't play with dolls. Your saying that not all men are the same, and some like to be male models, fashion designers, some even like to make dolls. OK that's great, but the professions you listed are not really confined to one gender or the other, there have been male models since the Greek Empire[1], who do you think posed for all the status and monuments they made? What we today call Fashion designers, have also been around basically forever, they were more commonly referred to as Tailors. Much of are cloths were designed by them. This was considered to be a common male and female profession[2]. Same with toy designers[3], and there are thousands of chefs in the world, in fact most of them are men[4]. So yeah, not all boys are the same not every boy will grow up to be lumber Jacks or Football coaches. But very few will like to wear make up or high heels, or watch sex in the city, some will...but MOST will not. Sort of like how most boys won't like playing with dolls, but some, a small percent will. Sort of common sense if you think about it.

"Sally just wants a gay friend? Really? Do you have any idea how stupid that sounds? Most children don't even have a concept of gay when they're young. But if they do, I doubt that would be a big role in choosing to play with a boy who is playing with a doll. It's more like, "Hey, you're playing with something I like." When I was a kid, I was into Pokemon and so were most of the boys. Therefore, I hung out with the boys. It's that simple."

That last one was a joke, maybe in poor taste but shesse! Calling my argument "stupid", that's not nice! I wonder if bullies will call Billy stupid for playing with dolls?

"There is also this. I have a nephew. He is three. I collect dolls and he comes down to my room to play with them. He'll brush their hair and make them fight. He doesn't realize they are girls just yet. He just wants to play. That's all."

Wait, how old is you nephew? Three? I think Pro is confusing the word boy with baby, I have many cousins and let me tell you at that age they'll love to play with anything, from measuring cups to vacuum parts, so i could see him playing with dolls. But one of my older cousins who is in the 4th grade, begs me every time i see him to play some FPS, or shoot my BB gun. Are you telling me that he would want to play with dolls? I really think he, and most every other boy would chose the FPS or the BB gun over a doll, and would most likely bypass the doll entirely, and laugh at you, or think you were joking if you said" hey lets play tea cups with Barby!".

I'll post new augments next round, i suggest you do the same as you haven't really shown the benefits, that arise when boys play with dolls.

[1] http://www.ancientgreece.com...
[2] http://www.ranker.com...
[3] http://www.saturdayeveningpost.com...
[4] http://sexyfeminist.com...
Mockery

Pro

I'm sorry if I insulted you. I wasn't calling you stupid, I really wasn't.

Okay, new arguments.

The reason I think boys should be able to play with dolls is because force gender rules sometimes do more harm than good. There is nothing wrong with a man who wants to wear make up and wear a dress. It's important that at a young age that boys are taught that just because they don't play with trucks doesn't make them sick or weird, just different. If not, the child could go through constant problems trying to fit in.

Not only that but saying a boy should only play with certain toys is silly. Why does it matter if a boy plays with a doll? It's a toy, that's it. It's not going to hurt the boy in the long run. It's only hurt him if people judge him and say that he's a freak for liking a doll. The real big problem is this idea that men need to be 'manly.' That seems to do more harm in the end.

As for my nephew: yes, he is three but it shows that gender roles don't really play an issue until older. He doesn't CARE that he is playing with girly toys. He just wants to play and have fun.
SirReed

Con

"I'm sorry if I insulted you. I wasn't calling you stupid, I really wasn't."
It's all good! Now then...

There are many unforeseen consequences that can occur if boys are allowed to play with dolls, you may think that "boys can play with anything" and "dolls are harmless", but you'd be very wrong. First what do boys typically like? Fighting, playing with toy guns, sword fighting, tag, football, etc. All of which in some way are violent and competitive. But did you ever think to ask why? Well theses types of rough physical sports prepare young boys to become men later in life [1,2]. Dolls just can't provide this type of learning, can boys learn how to fight? No, can they learn how to stick up for themselves? No. They really can't learn much from dolls. And the few lessons they possibly could learn, like "playing nice" or "sharing", could just as easily be learn through, regular boy activities.

Also as i previously stated most boys do not play with dolls, at least boys in the that are older then seven , so what that means is that they will have a harder time making male friends as most of their (male) classmate will not be interested in playing with dolls. How many boys do you think would accept the invitation to "come over! and play tea with my doll's" Very few when they could play football, build a fort... set things on fire, etc. And sure maybe some girls would say yes, but then that boy would have a harder time making male friends. So boys should go make swords out of tree branches, or some other masculine activity and shouldn't play with dolls.
Mockery

Pro

I'm going to end this debate with this.

Boys should be able to play with dolls because it's their right. No one has the right to tell them they are a freak or that they are abnormal. Society is changing and I'm sure we'll see more boys playing with dolls. Gender roles are breaking down, showing little kids that they don't have to follow them. It's sad to think that someone would chide a boy for wanting a Barbie instead of an action figure. A toy is harmless. What matters is what the child will do with it. We should be encouraging kids to explore and find themselves, not try to reinforce stale, old gender roles.

SirReed

Con

Vote Con to keep men manly!
Posted by bladerunner060 3 years ago
bladerunner060
Conduct was equal enough. As was S&G. Con had a few more sources, but it didn't seem sufficient to warrant scoring.

As to arguments:

There were a lot of what I call "rabbit-holes" in this debate. Lines of argument that are contentious, but don't really directly address the question.

The resolution was whether boys should be allowed to play with dolls. Con seemed almost to be arguing against the idea that boys should be forced to play with dolls--which wasn't the resolution.

Con defeats himself with: "...most boys won't like playing with dolls, but some, a small percent will. Sort of common sense if you think about it."

Indeed, it does make common sense, though of course I'm scoring based on performance within this debate.

Pro closes with "Boys should be able to play with dolls because it's their right. No one has the right to tell them they are a freak or that they are abnormal. "

Con has nothing in response but "Vote Con to keep men manly!"

The only argument of Con's that seemed to hold any water was the "boys who play with dolls will be mocked/bullied" argument. The problem with that argument, though, is that it never sufficiently justified the bullying; by not justifying it, it's merely an appeal to consequences. I agree with Pro that the bullying is a bad thing--I also agree with Con that the bullying is something that we need to try to avoid. Where I don't agree is with Con's argument that we should therefore prohibit boys from playing with dolls <em>because</em> of the bullying. It's simply not a strong enough case--it gives free reign to bad behavior.

Because of all that, arguments to Pro.

As always, happy to clarify anything in this RFD!
Posted by KaleBevilacqua 3 years ago
KaleBevilacqua
Isn't the bullying the issue that needs to be stopped, not the boys playing with dolls?
Vote Placed by bladerunner060 3 years ago
bladerunner060
MockerySirReedTied
Reasons for voting decision: RFD in comments.