AllUnpowerful
usnish

Brain mind dualism probably true

usnish has forfeited round #1.

AllUnpowerful

Con

Introduction:

Hi. I am the contender to this topic. As I introduced the topic, it is my job to expand on the meaning of the topic so that any ambiguities are resolved. The long version of the topic is as follows:

Human minds are likely to be separate entities from both functions of human brains and human brains themselves.

I will try to argue against the topic. In other words, I will argue that brain mind dualism is not probably true.

Argument:

When humans are asked to perform tasks, while under EEG brain scans, specific areas of their brains light up (have increased neural activity). The same areas of the brain light up in almost every tested person's brain when they are performing the same tasks. This proves that there is a correlation between mental tasks and areas of the brain.

Furthermore, if an area of the brain is damaged or removed, the mental task it correlates to is damaged or removed respectively.

Also, many neural networks -- which use the same priciples the brain does -- are capable of cognition, which is expressed in their ability to recognise and generate images, converse with humans, write classical music, beat the best human Go players at Go and other things. This suggests that the framework of brains were developed for cognition -- such as human cognition -- and is suitable to host human minds, meaning that it is likely that they do host human minds.

Given all of this clear evidence that the mind is a product of the brain, it is simply wishful thinking and pitiful superstition to believe anything other than the topic being false.

Therefore, the topic is false.