ChickenHead
Sauh

Brains is better than beauty

Sauh

ChickenHead

Pro

I say that brains is better than beauty

RULES:
1) No swearing or cursing
Sauh

Con

I freakin' accept. Thank you for posting this debate.
I look forward to reading your arguments that brains are better than beauty.
ChickenHead

Pro

I first of all want to thank Con for accepting this challenge.
Good luck to Con!
Now I will post my arguments

'Wit beyond measure is a man's greatest treasure'- J.K. Rowling, author of the Harry potter series

1) If you are smart, you are likely to get a good job and you have a greater chance of success in job than beauty, e.g Doctor, lawyer, dentist, scientist, teacher.
You will likely be in your smart career for a long time and you can start your own business whereas if you are beautiful you will likely need someone to sponsor you.
Plus, smartness is an achievement that you get by studying, beauty is innate(meaning that it is natural),beautiful people shouldn't be acknowledged for their beauty
Besides, the true meaning of 'beauty' is undefined, as different people will think differently of the definition, beauty.
However, brains are much more defined than beauty.
Beauty does not last forever, while brains, and ability do.
The brain is the container of knowledge. The basic difference between a beast and a man, is the latter's possession of an advanced brain which gives him the ability to think and allows him to differentiate between good and evil.
Physical beauty is an added quality.
Life is enlightened for brains and not for beauty.
A beautiful person, especially the female gender in this case, can have a dull brain and might just end up harming herself.
For example, Marilyn Monroe who had power over most men and ended up having drugs, alcohol and killed herself (Note: I am not saying she was dumb, I am saying her ability to judge between good and bad was extremely poor)
I think Con can agree with me that brains has made the most needed inventions such as- electricity, light bulb
I will want Con to answer the following questions-What has beauty done useful in humanity?
You have to become beautiful to___________________
Beautiful meaning(What beauty means to you) :
2)Beauty has a big chance of failing, if you become a actress or a actor and people don't think you look good, then they are not going to even look at you face and look for some other person
Beauty has no meaning, smartness does, you have to become smart to get a job

I will wait for you argument
(Note:I am not even a teen yet so go easy on me and this is my first debate)
Good luck again!
Sauh

Con

I would like to again thank Pro for posting this debate.

I will begin by disputing some of your points.

"Plus, smartness is an achievement that you get by studying, beauty is innate(meaning that it is natural),..."

A person's intelligence is not solely an achievement derived by studying. There are two aspect that determine how intelligent a person becomes; there is learning but there is also genetics. Some people are inherently more intelligent.

"...beautiful people shouldn't be acknowledged for their beauty"

Why shouldn't people be acknowledged for their innate beauty? We recognize a myriad of other natural abilities; athleticism, artistic, humor, a charming personality, just to name a few.

"However, brains are much more defined than beauty."

The fact that beauty is subjective is another reason that beauty is better that brains. Suppose you and I are looking at the same painting; you might find it bland, or uninteresting, where as I might find it to be the most beautiful painting I ever saw. The fact that beauty is not precisely defined makes it so that when someone does see something that is truly beautiful to them there is a deeper connection made.

"Beauty does not last forever, while brains, and ability do."

While brains may be a more stable than beauty, they do not necessarily last forever. People can suffer head trauma and receive brain damage. There are also diseases that cause people to lose their mental faculties; the most notable example is the Alzheimer's disease. There is also a natural decline in mental abilities as people age.

I also think you are looking at the fact that beauty is temporary the wrong way. The fact that beauty is fleeting is one of the great aspects of beauty. Consider a sunset; the few minutes that the sky is painted in color, are so special because the sky doesn't look like that all day.

"A beautiful person, especially the female gender in this case, can have a dull brain and might just end up harming herself.
For example, Marilyn Monroe who had power over most men and ended up having drugs, alcohol and killed herself (Note: I am not saying she was dumb, I am saying her ability to judge between good and bad was extremely poor)"

Just because a person is intelligent does not mean that they have good judgment. Many smart people had issues with alcohol and drug addiction. Take writers for example. Ernest Hemingway, Edgar Allen Poe, William Faulkner, and John Cheever, all had issues with substance abuse and the list goes on.
In fact having brains could lead you to have more issues with alcohol.
http://www.psychologytoday.com...

You state that people with dull brains might end-up harming themselves.
Where it is true that a dullard might harm, or even accidentally kill themselves and those around them; they don't pose a serious risk to the population at large. Intelligent people have the potential to harm and/or kill large numbers of people.

This leads me to my next point, you said:

"I think Con can agree with me that brains has made the most needed inventions such as- electricity, light bulb"

Brains have also made the most destructive inventions.
Consider the intelligence level of the scientist who worked on the Manhattan Project.
The Nuclear bomb, nerve gas, germ warfare; all of these things (and many more) are used to wage war, killing and destroying millions of people's lives.
All of those things were created by 'people with brains'.

"Beauty has a big chance of failing, if you become a actress or a actor and people don't think you look good, then they are not going to even look at you face and look for some other person"

While it is true that the majority of actors are attractive; there are many actors who can not be considered physically beautiful. They continue to get work because they are good actors.

As you said at the beginning of your argument, beauty is innate; therefore there is no chance of beauty failing. It may fade, or be taken away by an accident, but beauty didn't fail.

"Beauty has no meaning, smartness does, you have to become smart to get a job"

I will use this quote of yours as a jumping-off point to explain why beauty is better than brains.

(Just a short aside: You don't have to be smart to get a job, when you do join the workforce you'll notice many of your co workers, and likely your boss, are morons.)

You claim that beauty has no meaning.

This is patently wrong; beauty has very important meanings in many aspects of life.

First of all; life. You wouldn't exist if your father didn't find your mother physically attractive. Men are evolutionarily driven to pick mates based on physical attributes that signify health and good genes; therefore men see these physical attributes to be attractive in an attempt to have the best possible offspring.

Beauty also gives life more meaning. Striving to make something beautiful is a natural trait in humans; it is why we paint, right poetry, compose music and also why we enjoy experiencing beautiful things created by others.

Perhaps we should look at the definition of beauty.

Beauty : the quality or aggregate of qualities in a person or thing that gives pleasure to the senses or pleasurably exalts the mind or spirit : loveliness
http://www.merriam-webster.com...

Beauty brings people joy; whereas brains can bring suffering.

Beautiful people are treated better by the general population than particularly smart people.
Who ever heard of someone picking on someone for being beautiful; but the school yards are full of smart kids getting wedgies, wet willies, purple nurpels, and the like.

This continues into adulthood, the beautiful girl at the bar is the one who gets the most attention, free drinks, and dates (which translates into free dinners).
This is also true, to a lesser extent, for men. Who is more likely to get a date; the guy who looks like Benedict Cumberbatch saying 'What up, baby', or me making a particularly clever pun about that stupid name?

Beautiful people can breeze through life, if they choose to; but many very intelligent people struggle their entire lives.

"Nash is the subject of the Hollywood movie A Beautiful Mind. The film, loosely based on the biography of the same name, focuses on Nash's mathematical genius and struggle with schizophrenia."
http://en.wikipedia.org....

The fact that John Nash, and many other people, were intelligent and had mental disorders is not a coincidence.

"A single gene, known as DARPP-32, is suspected to cause the link between intelligence and mental illness. A study found that people with schizophrenia were more likely to have the version of DARPP-32 that boosted performance on tasks involving thinking and filtering of information [source: National Institute of Mental Health]."
http://science.howstuffworks.com...

On a less extreme level, people who are more intelligent are more likely to be depressed, or have a difficulty finding joy in life.

There is a reason people still say that ignorance is bliss.

People with 'brains' are more likely to be picked on and suffer mental illness, or depression. They are also responsible for the deaths of millions of people through the development of weapon technology.

People with 'beauty' are more likely to live easy lives, where people give them free things and preferential treatment. Beauty is also responsible for bring joy to the lives of millions through paintings and just really attractive women.

From all this we can conclude that beauty is better than brains; not only for the individual, but for all of society.
ChickenHead

Pro

Sorry only 1 mineute left
Sauh

Con

It's okay.
I won't make any arguments this round to keep it even.
Posted by funwiththoughts 3 years ago
funwiththoughts
What makes you think that athleticism, "artism", humor, etc., are inherently there? I would consider them all to be choices. One can choose whether or not to become athletic, artistic, humorous, charming, etc. but you can't choose whether or not you're beautiful.

And what is your evidence that intelligence is genetic?
Vote Placed by funwiththoughts 3 years ago
funwiththoughts
ChickenHeadSauhTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con waited till the last minute to post a final argument and therefore was unable to get in a proper rebuttal.
Vote Placed by jarret 3 years ago
jarret
ChickenHeadSauhTied
Reasons for voting decision: brains ARE better than beauty