Tangerine_Sunshine_1971
Saint_Joshua

Bread is the most underrated rock/pop group

Started: 2/5/2009 Category: Arts

Tangerine_Sunshine_1971

Pro

First off I would like you all to know that I am a fan of Bread. I am here to prove that they are the most underrated rock/pop band of their time. Most of the time if you ask someone if they have ever heard of Bread they look at you like you are stupid. Then when you say you aren't talking about the food, and that you are talking about the band they are like who is Bread. Thank you to whoever chooses to debate with me, and good luck!
Saint_Joshua

Con

"Bread was one of the most popular pop groups of the early '70s" (allmusic.com)

Yes it is true that "Most of the time if you ask someone if they have ever heard of Bread they look at you like you are stupid." when you are talking to a younger generation. I am assuming you are asking people that were not born when they existed. Ask most people that where in the "high school" era of their lives in 1970 and they have heard of them.

Four of Bread's six albums received a four or more stars out of five on allmusic.com, how can you be considered underrated by getting those kinds of ratings?
That is all I need to say.
--- Saint J.
Tangerine_Sunshine_1971

Pro

Yes, It is true that they were popular, however few of their many songs ever reached number one on the charts. People who were in high school at the time knew Bread songs however, few of them really knew who the real Bread was. My only questions as of now, is who rated those albums, and how were they rated?
Saint_Joshua

Con

"People who were in high school at the time knew Bread songs however, few of them really knew who the real Bread was."

How do you define the "real Bread"?

"Yes, It is true that they were popular, however few of their many songs ever reached number one on the charts."

They had minimal songs compared to other bands from the 60-70's such as The Beatles, The Monkees, Pink Floyd, Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Doobie Brothers, Jefferson Airplane, The Doors, I could go on and on. Just because a band doesn't have more than one number one hit doesn't mean they are underrated, they had many hits that came in at top ten hits.
"Make it with you" #1
"Baby I'm- a want you" #3
"Everything I own" #5
"It don't matter to me" In Top ten
"If" In Top ten
"Mother Freedom" #37
Also they had an album at #3 "Baby I'm-a want you" (The Album)
And with all those hits it seems they got what they were worth compared to the amount of material they released and so on.

AMG is the company that rates the albums. This is what they say about who they are and how they rate albums.
"AMG's mission is to provide an independent expert editorial voice on recorded music. Our editorial staff and network of writers represent many of the most knowledgeable experts in music today…with broad and lengthy experience in the entertainment media industry. We strive to provide editorial content that is balanced and informed. Our experts use a 1 to 5 star system (5 is the highest rating). It is important to note that we rate albums only within the scope of an artist's own work -- we only compare a release to other releases by the same artist. We won't compare a Britney Spears album to the latest release by Incubus." --- Taken from FAQ's at Allmusic.com

Thanks.
--- Saint J
Tangerine_Sunshine_1971

Pro

Tangerine_Sunshine_1971 forfeited this round.
Saint_Joshua

Con

Bread is NOT the most underrated rock/pop group.
Posted by Tangerine_Sunshine_1971 8 years ago
Tangerine_Sunshine_1971
I can't believe I totally forgot about this debate...lol. I must say I blame it on all the Chem homework.
Posted by Puck 8 years ago
Puck
I guess you did. :D
Posted by Puck 8 years ago
Puck
Perhaps you mean underrated.
Vote Placed by Tangerine_Sunshine_1971 8 years ago
Tangerine_Sunshine_1971
Tangerine_Sunshine_1971Saint_JoshuaTied
Vote Placed by Saint_Joshua 8 years ago
Saint_Joshua
Tangerine_Sunshine_1971Saint_JoshuaTied