BriarMarie
redorc19

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day

redorc19

BriarMarie

Pro

Let's Begin...
redorc19

Con

I humbly accept...
BriarMarie

Pro

Very well..
In my opinion, i believe this statement is in fact true. There is scientific proof that if a child skips breakfast this can cause several things including: Tiredness, their thinking momentum is low and their mood is often grumpy.
redorc19

Con

Ladies and gentlemen...

My opponent has claimed there to be scientific evidence for his/her claims, but has not cited any. I, on the other hand, do have evidence that shows that not eating breakfast is in no way related to decreased energy levels and energy intake at subsequent meals, negating the Pro's first and second points:

Am J Clin Nutr. 2011 Feb;93(2):284-91. Epub 2010 Nov 17. Pub Med ID # 21084650

This study showed “there was no significant main effect of breakfast condition on energy intake at lunch (P = 0.36) or throughout the remainder of the day (P = 0.85)... Leading to the conclusion that omitting breakfast affected children’s appetite ratings but not their energy intake at subsequent meals. The dissonance between children’s subjective ratings of prospective consumption and their actual intake should be further examined.”

I would also like to point out that skipping any meal will cause hunger, which leads to overall grumpiness. However, as shown by the evidence above, there is no conclusive evidence relating skipped breakfast to reduced energy in intake. Mark Bunn of "Wisdoms of Health" said:

Just as the early morning sun is relatively weak in strength, our digestive fire, which we need to digest food, is relatively weak in the early hours of the day. As such, most of us do not have strong appetites or the digestive strength to process much food at this time.Unlike modern health directives, in Ayurveda and other time-tested natural health sciences, breakfast is not recommended to be a large meal, let alone the most substantial meal of the day. In long-living groups such as the Okinawans, Vilcabambans, Campodimelani and Abkhasians, none have breakfast as the most important or substantial meal of the day. They have understood that the time when the sun reaches its peak is when we are best equipped to eat more.

The Con's case should be valued over that of the Pro for the substantial, thorough, and evidence-based answer given in the 2nd Con Speech compared to that of the 2nd Pro.

BriarMarie

Pro

Here is my proof:
http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com...

"Skipping breakfast also triggers bad eating habits during the day, as cravings ensue and quick-fix fast foods are often eaten. Having breakfast boosts metabolism and increases your energy levels throughout the day. When you miss it, your energy is reduced and physical activity levels decline," beleives Dr Dube.

I rest my case
redorc19

Con

My opponent has conceded the "grumpiness" argument by not answering my reply to it; I shall, therefore, only address her first/second points.

Never skip your breakfast
ZEENIA F BARIA Oct 13, 2012, 12.00AM IST

They do say, however, that the case for breakfast's benefits is far from airtight -- especially for adults, many of whom, if anything, could stand skipping a meal.

"For adults, I think the evidence is mixed," says Marion Nestle, professor of nutrition, food studies and public health at New York University who hasn't eaten breakfast in years because she is just not hungry in the morning.

"I am well aware that everyone says breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but I am not convinced," Nestle wrote in her book, "What to Eat." (She later received many e-mails from readers telling her that they were relieved to hear it.) "What you eat -- and how much -- matters more to your health than when you eat."

A few scientists go further than this. They say it may be more healthful for adults to skip breakfast, as long as they eat carefully the rest of the day.

"No clear evidence shows that the skipping of breakfast or lunch (or both) is unhealthy, and animal data suggest quite the opposite," wrote Mattson, possibly the ultimate anti-breakfast iconoclast, last year in the medical journal the Lancet. Advice to eat smaller and more frequent meals, he wrote, "is given despite the lack of clear scientific evidence to justify it."

Also, extend my evidence from Round 2, coming from credited nutritionists: no conclusive evidence to show the negatives of skipping breakfast.

BriarMarie

Pro

Breakfast helps kick.start the day
redorc19

Con

Ladies and gentlemen, "Breakfast helps kick.start the day" is not in and of itself an argument. Perhaps it could be used as a closing remark to a well thought-out, well organized speech using evidence and logic; however, the Pro's 4th Round is devoid of all of these things. It is clear that my opponent is not interested in the topic, nor does she show the courtesy of giving substantive speeches, at the very least. Extend my Round 3 evidence, which directly negates her Round 3 arguments, as conceded, for an argument not responded to is dropped. "Breakfast helps kick.start the day" is the thesis of her argument; no warrants were given in the 4th speech, and so no rebuttal to it is deserved. Once again, extend all Con Round 3 arguments as dropped, securing a Negative vote. Thank you.
BriarMarie

Pro

Ladies & Gentlemen,
To conclude I believe breakfast is the most impotant meal of the day. I think people need to know that breakfast is very important for everyday lives.
I rest my case
redorc19

Con

Ladies and Gentlemen, Let me start by summarizing the debate as I have seen it:
R1 (Acceptance, rules, all of which were followed)

R2: Pro argument based on conjecture only, and no evidence presented in that speech for said conjecture; Con argument responded to Pro's case, and presented his own, all with reasoning based on displayed evidence.

R3: Pro shows evidence for R2 which should have already been provided; Con continues to back on his case with evidence and extends previously unanswered arguments

R4: Pro, obviously tired of the debate, gives a short and insubstantial summary of his/her case without backing it up. No reason to believe it!!! Con pointed this out and extended all R3 arguments which were completely unanswered.

Now, R5, I give you voters:
-More evidence-based arguments on Con's side
-Pro getting tired halfway through the debate, dropping most of my arguments, and giving inadequate responses, such as "Breakfast helps kick.start the day"

For these reasons, I urge you to vote Con. Thank you.
Posted by wrichcirw 3 years ago
wrichcirw
What a terrible debate.

1) PRO essentially forfeited the last 2 rounds, so conduct to CON.
2) CON actually made arguments, so argument and S&G to CON.
3) Not at all convinced by CON's arguments, but PRO was simply so bad that it didn't matter.

Welcome to the website CON.
Posted by poorenglishspeaker 3 years ago
poorenglishspeaker
Con has Pro for breakfast.
Whether you need breakfast or not depends upon what time you get up.
The hour of rising should had been defined.
Vote Placed by wrichcirw 3 years ago
wrichcirw
BriarMarieredorc19Tied
Reasons for voting decision: see comment
Vote Placed by Azul145 3 years ago
Azul145
BriarMarieredorc19Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro was an idiot
Vote Placed by philochristos 3 years ago
philochristos
BriarMarieredorc19Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con just put a lot more into this than Pro did.