candice
kels1123

Breast feeding is healthy for your baby, and able mothers should at least try it.

candice

Pro

Having a baby is a beautifull,and bonding with your infant directly after it's birth is crucial. Breast feeding inables you to be very close to your new child and give him or her affection every time they eat. A new borns eye's allow them to see only to the mothers face while breast feeding! It takes patience, and a little bit of pain sometimes, but being a mother your job doesn't stop when tht baby is born, it just begins! Parenthood means sacrifice and your body is not yours any more. Sacrificing things you would like to do, such as drink alcohol, smoke, or drugs aren't healthy for you anyway. It would be selfish to decide to bottle feed just based upon the mothers wish to break free from her new little "bondage". Breast milk (starting off as colostrum) has antibodies,fat,vitamins,and minerals that your baby needs. Unlike formula there's no air (which cuts down on gas), and your body actually formulates and changes the milk as the baby grows to give them everything there body needs. Formula does NOT do that. Formula can also lead to constipation, stomache aches, makes poop smell bad (YES, breast fed babies do not have smelly poop) it's expensive, and if not used properly unsanitary. Babies need nurturing, eye contact, fondling and to be held and suction (breast feeding takes longer than bottle feeding, and this could eliminate pacifiers). Breastfeeding insures that a baby gets all of these things. Forget about geting together bottles every time you go out. Just take a blanket and you can feed so descretly sometimes my own husband doesn't know I'm doing it. Breast feeding is good for a mother and a babies developments, and should be tried and embraced.
kels1123

Con

//Having a baby is a beautifull,and bonding with your infant directly after it's birth is crucial. //
Not arguing , it is beautiful and amazing. However there are other ways to bond with your child. Skin to skin bonding , singing to your child, talking to you child, holding you child, looking at your child. My daughter and I are very bonded and she was not breast fed. Breastfeeding is good , but not for everyone.

//Breast feeding inables you to be very close to your new child and give him or her affection every time they eat. A new borns eye's allow them to see only to the mothers face while breast feeding!//

A mother can bond while feeding a child with a bottle as well ... Also when breast feeding the baby often doesn't bond with the father as quickly . A father then doesn't get to hold his newborn as much and often feels inadequate and left out. My aunt just brestfed her 7th child after bottlefeeding the rest and her husband felt he didnt get to be as close when she was a newborn and often felt leftout.

//It takes patience, and a little bit of pain sometimes, but being a mother your job doesn't stop when tht baby is born, it just begins! Parenthood means sacrifice and your body is not yours any more. Sacrificing things you would like to do, such as drink alcohol, smoke, or drugs aren't healthy for you anyway. It would be selfish to decide to bottle feed just based upon the mothers wish to break free from her new little "bondage". //
Just because a mother chooses not to breastfeed her baby , does not make her selfish. There are other reasons mothers choose not to breastfeed their child besides they want to drink or smoke! Some women can't , some develop thrush which is beyond painful and often times makes it impossible to breastfeed, some mother need help from other family members as they have other young children. If you have 3 or 4 children under 5 , maybe breastfeeding isn't possible. Some mothers have no choice but to go back to work and just can't continue to pump. The list goes on and on. Some babies don't gain enough weight and have to be put on formula.

//Breast milk (starting off as colostrum) has antibodies,fat,vitamins,and minerals that your baby needs. Unlike formula there's no air (which cuts down on gas), and your body actually formulates and changes the milk as the baby grows to give them everything there body needs. Formula does NOT do that. Formula can also lead to constipation, stomache aches, makes poop smell bad (YES, breast fed babies do not have smelly poop) it's expensive, and if not used properly unsanitary.//

Maternity nurses often advocate breast feeding , however most pediatricians don't. They say its best to do what is right for you and your child.My daughter was fed by formula and had no problems with gas and no problems with stomach aches. My cousin is breastfed and is often constipated and if you believe a baby that breastfed has poop that doesnt smell , you are mistaken. The diaper I changed the other day smelt horrible ... so unfortunately I think you are always at risk for smelly diapers regardless as to what your baby drinks. Formula can be expensive , but some women can afford it and don't mind paying for it. That is their choice and their money. There also is WIC , a program that helps mother and infants from low to middle incomes . You do not need to be LOw income to recieve help from them. They give mothers checks good for formula at any local grocery store , or if you are breastfeeding they will give these checks/vouchers for whole milk, Peanut butter etc. Also its is a mothers responsibility to make sure the formula is sanitary, just as it is a mothers responsibility to make sure her breast milk is sanitary (ie from smoking , alcohol etc.) Also my daughter was formula fed and she was hardly ever sick when she was a baby. I know breastfed kids that have been sick ... Some kids are healthier as babies , some aren't. It always depends.

//Babies need nurturing, eye contact, fondling and to be held and suction (breast feeding takes longer than bottle feeding, and this could eliminate pacifiers). Breastfeeding insures that a baby gets all of these things. Forget about geting together bottles every time you go out. Just take a blanket and you can feed so descretly sometimes my own husband doesn't know I'm doing it. Breast feeding is good for a mother and a babies developments, and should be tried and embraced.//
Some Babies that are breastfed take pacifiers , just as some some babies that are formula fed take pacifiers. Thats just because certain babies are different. Some women do not feel comfortable breastfeeding in public. That should be their choice. Maybe you find it can be discreet , but not everyone feels that way. As much as it should be breastfeeding in public places is not always accepted and that puts some women off and thats their choice. You can not say that babies that are not breastfed don't receive nurturing. My daughter and I have been bonded since the day she was born. We also have always made eye contact ..whether she was drinking her bottle , Some women do not mind getting bottles together to go out. It shouls be a personal decision based on whats best for each mother and child.
candice

Pro

So, lets take a look at the topic of this debate: Breat feeding is healthy for your baby, and ABLE mothers should at least TRY it. Never in my opening statement or topic, did I state that bottle feeding mothers were bad. Nor, did I say that everyone should (for one year) breast feed their babies. My debate is about TRYING to breast feed. In the begining colostrum is very important. The arguments I gave were incintives to why you should at least TRY to breast feed. Some mothers don't even see if they could or like to breast feed. Of course not everyone feels that breast feeding is exceptable because of societies biased it is not gross or perverted to breast feed. Our culture should make natural feeding mothers feel more comfortable. As you say there are other ways you can bond with your child. Personally, I think there all good interactions... but don't discredit the fact that breastfeeding is a good way to bond. Personally, I believe you should do more than one thing to bond with your offspring. Just as you say there's more than one way to bond with babies other than breastfeeding, aren't all the wonderfull examples you gave ways for a Father to bond with the baby as well?

It takes patience, and a little bit of pain sometimes, but being a mother your job doesn't stop when tht baby is born, it just begins! Parenthood means sacrifice and your body is not yours any more. Sacrificing things you would like to do, such as drink alcohol, smoke, or drugs aren't healthy for you anyway. It would be selfish to decide to bottle feed just based upon the mothers wish to break free from her new little "bondage". //

In the excerpt, I never said a mother was selfish for having to go back to work, or having something physical happen to deter breast feeding. Not sacrificing uneeded things is what I suggested was selfish.

Was the smelly poop baby eating baby food?

Some familes are not in the proper financial bracket to receive WIC, and you can only get certain types of formula with it.

Please realize this is not an attack on bottle feeding familes... and if there's any more confusion please report back to the topic of the debate. So, do you belive women SHOULDN'T TRY to breast feed?
kels1123

Con

You think a mother bottle feeding her baby means she feels her job is done? I don't agree with that. Just because you feed your baby by bottle , does not mean you do not care about your baby or want to break free of your new "bondage" I think being a good mother is alot more then feeding your child by breastfeeding... Some people its a family thing and their own upbringings that make them choose bottles ... But its a personal decision.

//In the excerpt, I never said a mother was selfish for having to go back to work, or having something physical happen to deter breast feeding. Not sacrificing uneeded things is what I suggested was selfish.//

I think if a mother knows she will drink or smoke and decides to not breastfeed , she is not being selfish , she is thinking of her baby and knows that it would do more harm for her to breastfeed. I think that is a noble thing to do. Not every mother is perfect. Some mothers are addicted to smoking and feel they can not quit smoking. At least a mother choosing to not breastfeed while smoking is looking out for her child.

//Was the smelly poop baby eating baby food?//

No she wasn't

//Some familes are not in the proper financial bracket to receive WIC, and you can only get certain types of formula with it.//
Again , I will say that if a family cant qualify for WIC and still chooses to use formula , that is their choice. Some parents would rather pay money than to breastfeed. That is the choice they have decided on ... Also if you do not qualify for WIC , chances are that you have enough money that you aren't worrying about paying for it...

//Please realize this is not an attack on bottle feeding familes... and if there's any more confusion please report back to the topic of the debate. So, do you belive women SHOULDN'T TRY to breast feed?//

I don't think any mother should try anything they aren't comfortable with or isn't a good fit for them. You obviously felt it was the right decision for you and your family. Not everyone feels that way. It is a mothers choice to make for her and her child and also for her family. You may not feel you are judging , but it comes across that way...
candice

Pro

I don't know where your geting I said that a mothers job was done after giving your baby a bottle. Not to be redundant (because I know you like to quote my arguments):

As you say there are other ways you can bond with your child. Personally, I think there all good interactions... but don't discredit the fact that breastfeeding is a good way to bond. Personally, I believe you should do more than one thing to bond with your offspring.

Where does it say that a bottle feeding mother does not interact with her baby? My saying i believe you should do more than one thing with your offspring means, I don't just breast feed, I do all the other things you mentioned as well. Just as a bottle feeding mom would...

If you can't find it in yoru heart of hearts to stop smoking or drinking for your family, I believe fully you ARE selfish. Addicts can quit. Being an addict is not a very good excuse to keep doing something you shouldn't. Many addicts have quit, it's not imposible.

How do you know that breastfeeding is "not fit" for you if you haven't tried it? Trying things is a very zesty interprise for finding if you like something. Again, never did I say that bottle feeding is negligible. You are arguing that breast feeding shouldn't be tried. Which is wrong. Of course breastfeeding is a personal choice, but I believe a woman should at least try it, and see if it could work for them.
kels1123

Con

Again , I don't believe that any mother should be obligated to try breastfeeding if she doesn't want to and I don't think not trying it makes her selfish in any way. I dont think someone should push their views on another. What is right for you may not be right for someone else. Some women would just rather bottlefeed their baby. Its a personal decision. MY daughter is 4 and is doing just fine and she was bottlefed. We are very close , bonded and she is a healthy little girl. I don't think a women who doesn't breastfeed because she wants to continue smoking is a selfish women. I think she knows she will not be able to succeed and for her and baby it is a better choice if she bottle feeds her baby. I don't think that is selfish. What is right for one woman is not right for all women. I am not saying breastfeeding is bad, just not for everyone. I do not think any woman should have to try breastfeeding , some people just aren't comfortable with it ...that should be their choice. It's their body , their child. Children that drink bottles are not in any harm , so why should it matter if someone doesn't want to do it. I am not saying it is bad to breastfeed , I am saying it is NOT bad if you don't want to do it. I do not think it is right to think my way is right over anothers. AS long as the child is not being harmed in anyway , then why does it matter how a mother chooses to feed her baby. MY grandmother bottle fed her 7 kids , my mom bottle fed her 5 kids , my husband's grandmother and mother did the same. I bottle fed my daughter so that my husband and her could bond as well and it was the right thing for us. I didn't have to try breastfeeding , because my decision wasn't based on whether I would like it or not , it was based on what was best for us and our family.
Posted by rloubet 2 years ago
rloubet
I liked this debate! I feel like both sides had great insights. Coming from a mom who tried breastfeeding and it did not work out, I'm glad that I tried. However, when my second one came around, I was pressured to try nursing again. I already knew that I hated it and did not want to try again, it was not good for me or my baby. I think if people don't want to try to nurse, they shouldn't feel like they need to. Formula is such a great option now days that babies will thrive on it just as much as they will thrive on breast milk. The important thing is that they have a mom who loves them.
Posted by candice 9 years ago
candice
I enjoyed this debate! It was pretty fun... and I thought it was pretty good. Nothing like some arguing to mix up the monotony of Holiday visiting... Merry Christmas everyone, and thanks for reading our debate!
Vote Placed by Mharman 3 months ago
Mharman
candicekels1123Tied
Vote Placed by kels1123 8 years ago
kels1123
candicekels1123Tied
Vote Placed by danny445 9 years ago
danny445
candicekels1123Tied
Vote Placed by PreacherFred 9 years ago
PreacherFred
candicekels1123Tied
Vote Placed by padfo0t 9 years ago
padfo0t
candicekels1123Tied
Vote Placed by RepublicanView333 9 years ago
RepublicanView333
candicekels1123Tied
Vote Placed by Guardian27 9 years ago
Guardian27
candicekels1123Tied
Vote Placed by NSG 9 years ago
NSG
candicekels1123Tied
Vote Placed by gonovice 9 years ago
gonovice
candicekels1123Tied
Vote Placed by TheMasterBrask 9 years ago
TheMasterBrask
candicekels1123Tied