NoobyGurl
Dr.ReaperMan

Breastfeeding in Public

NoobyGurl

Pro

Many people are disgusted by a woman breastfeeding her child in public. I personally do not see the issue, so please enlighten me.
Dr.ReaperMan

Con

Technically I have nothing against breastfeeding in public, and I support it fully but I do understand why some people could be offended or put off by it, so I would also argue that it should be a courtesy to do it privately. The breast is seen as, not just an organ for feeding, but also as a sexual organ (Which is a separate debate) Even though the woman has every right to breastfeed in that public place, it can be embarrassing for other people and, perhaps, even embarrassing for the mother.
NoobyGurl

Pro

Many women try to do it discreetly and cover themselves with a cloth or blanket while their child feeds. I do not know why it would be embarrassing people were once all fully nude and thought nothing of it. Even though we have evolved from that many women wear clothing that barely covers them and seems more like undergarment. Why does no one feel embarrassed of this? Why does no one tell them it's disgusting and should only wear that "in private?"
Dr.ReaperMan

Con

Yes, many people try to do it discreetly, but many people know what they are doing and, so, feel embarrassed. Yes, we were once naked, but at that time we did not have to contend with embarrassment in the way we do now. As I said, the breast is seen as a sexual organ. As to the "revealing" clothes people choose to wear, you must remember that these people may choose to wear these clothes but as soon as they took it upon themselves to strip naked, they would refuse because of embarrassment. Women who breastfeed in public are not revealing themselves in a sexual way, therefore its embarrassing to other people because it feels as though the woman is making herself vulnerable. And, in a way, she is, because breastfeeding in nature is a very dangerous time for the mother and the young due to predators who will use this lull in the mothers concentration to attack. Its a natural feeling, and people want to avoid it and so they ask that breastfeeding be done privately. However, I disagree strongly with your comment on it being considered disgusting, it is not disgusting and it is merely a vocal minority of people who would say that it is.
NoobyGurl

Pro

It should be up for the mothers to decide. If they feel uncomfortable and vulnerable in public they can do it in private, but if they feel the need to do it while in a public place they should be able to without people staring and telling them to do it in private. If people do not like it they should just look the other way. I personally do not feel that anyone should feel embarrassed knowing a woman is feeding her child the natural way rather than using the formula. As for the style of clothing, I am personally against the tight and lack of clothing the women wear, but even if you aren't if you are ok with one woman wearing a shirt that barely covers her then you should be ok with a mother feeding her child for a while.
Dr.ReaperMan

Con

While in theory, and in a perfect world the idea that a woman was to breastfeed without causing themselves or others embarrassment would be pro and undisputed. Logical even. I agree, breastfeeding should not be considered embarrassing, yet it still is for many. Yes women should be allowed to breastfeed in public if they wish, as long as they respect other people's feelings in the same way as they should her privacy. It is using an organ which is otherwise sexual in a place were everyone can see, or assume and it may simple be uncomfortable for a person. This is not a fair position to put someone in. In a much more extreme way, the use of disturbing images of abortion in an attempt to change peoples views is similar. While the people have every right to show said pictures, does that automatically mean they should? Because said pictures could shock young people and children. That is a very extreme example, yes, but in a smaller way the same principle exists when breastfeeding in public. That being said, Women should have the right to breastfeed were ever they need to but a private option should be a priority because you do not know how people are going to react.

I find the act of breastfeeding extremely intriguing, yet I still find it awkward when a female family member bares her breast to feed her baby, and should I feel embarrassed? Yes I should because the embarrassment makes me give her the privacy she deserves.
Posted by rvillanuev1 2 months ago
rvillanuev1
WE all share this nation, and in every nation there are customs.. but within those customs we can not be selfish and we need to remember to respect one another. We are quick to demand respect but not quick to give it. I agree that breastfeeding is a natural thing but it is a Personal Choice. HOW we breastfeed, either in public or in private, is also a Personal Choice, but exposing a woman's breast in public should not be a personal choice. Do not get these two confused, breastfeeding is a wonderful thing but exposing the breast in public is not a respectful and considerate thing for others in the public, plus a woman put herself in danger this way. Please do not use the baby and breastfeeding as an excuse for a woman to be allowed to expose her breast in public.
Posted by MissyT2016 3 months ago
MissyT2016
I am 100% for breastfeeding anywhere a baby is hungry. It is in our DNA, in our babies DNA to breastfeed. Bottles and formula are a good alternative but breastmilk is best. I am a mother who has been exclusively breastfeeding my baby since she was born. She is now 5 months old and we are still going. Breastfeeding is not sexual, it does not "arouse" the woman. It is however the most nutritious for the baby, helps babies not die from SIDS, helps the moms lose weight because the act itself burns calories, it helps preven breast and ovarian cancers in the mothers. It builds babies immune systems so less colds, less trips to the ER or dr from colds/infections. It is FREE. My baby was a preemie and couldnt handle any kind of bottle until she grew a bit which was around 2 months old. now she will not take any bottle because it is foreign to her. Babies do not only nurse for food but also for thirst and comfort. it is their happy place because it is with their mother. Babies do not know what sex is or what is considered a public place or what isnt. all they know is their mom and what they need. and anyone who legitamitly thinks that a baby should be denied their food or drink or comfort just because it makes them uncomfortable needs to reevaluate their life and thoughts. We dont eat in bathrooms so why should babies, why should moms feel the need to go hide in rooms or bathrooms or in their cars just for the comfort of others? Breastfeeding from the breast is natural. we dont flinch when seeing animals do it do we? no. and news flash...we are also animals. highly intelligent, well socialized, top of the food chain ANIMALS. so people really need to get over themselves and stop shaming moms for doing what is natural and best for their babies. I have also seen comments on this subject about how their is a time and place for everything. well try telling my 5 month old that it isnt the right time or place for her to EAT. sorry no can do. end of rant!
Posted by Dr.ReaperMan 8 months ago
Dr.ReaperMan
Yeah xD
Posted by NoobyGurl 8 months ago
NoobyGurl
Good, you don't need any babies yet.
Posted by Dr.ReaperMan 8 months ago
Dr.ReaperMan
I wouldn't know, I'm 16 and unmarried so no babies for me as of yet
Posted by NoobyGurl 8 months ago
NoobyGurl
hahah I don't doubt it. And weening a baby off of the milk and onto formula is SO HARD.
Posted by Dr.ReaperMan 8 months ago
Dr.ReaperMan
My mother couldn't breastfeed me for very long because of the pain xD
Posted by NoobyGurl 8 months ago
NoobyGurl
It hurts like hell
Posted by Dr.ReaperMan 8 months ago
Dr.ReaperMan
I want to point out that I agree with breastfeeding in public, but I can also see why it is, perhaps, not a good idea. But I am a male, so I don't know what its like to breastfeed.
Posted by Deb-8-A-Bull 8 months ago
Deb-8-A-Bull
I would never say it , nor do I care. BUT
The 1st thing that a bloke thinks is .
Sure she could not do that somewhere else more discreet.
I know your going to start going if they need it and so on.
Don't shoot the messenger. I swear 85% of the time it's the 1st thing a man thinks .