surpy
jmar8542

Breath mints are better then gum

jmar8542

surpy

Pro

This is a debate saying (pro) breath mints are better then gum or (con) gum is better then breath mints. this is based on a fun kind of debate.

I will post my argument and let my opponent accept and then post its argument.

Imagine, you are in a very important meeting, you are bored, and wish you can leave as soon as possible, so you dig through your pocket, until you find a stick of gum and you put it in your mouth and start to chew away at it and every one looks at you and thinks that you are being so unprofessional. I am in firm pro for breath mints are better then gum, for these three points, 1. they give you a good feeling of freshness in your mouth longer then gum, 2. breath mints are better for all occasions, and 3. gum loses its flavor faster then breath mints.

1. They give you a good feeling of freshness in your mouth longer then gum.
Picture this, you are on a date, and just had onions and pickles for dinner and your breath is stinky and disgusting, and then you grab a breath mint from your pocket and then your mouth gets purged from all stinky and foul smells. Breath mints were invented to give your mouth freshness and gum does it for about a minute.

2. Breath mints are better for all occasions.
Breath mints usually dissolve in your mouth and you don't have to worry about it, but with gum you still chew and chew it until you find a trash can, its harder to talk with a piece of gum in your mouth then a breath mint. In places where you are supposed to be quiet, people can hear you chewing away on gum but you can just put a breath mint in your mouth and forget about it.

3. Gum loses its flavor faster then breath mints.
Gum has been know for losing it's flavor very quickly but with breath mints, they have been designed for making it so that the flavor and freshness stay's for a very long time. The big business's of gum say it lasts long so you buy their gum but the flavor of gum goes away rather quickly, they have designed their gum to lose its flavor on purpose so you have to go through your whole pack of gum, then you have to go buy more packs of gum.

So I ask you to please vote for the pro, I am now ready for my opponent to make their argument and to attack my argument.
jmar8542

Con

Great opening Pro,

First I'd like to post a definition
Better: of superior suitability, advisability, desirability, acceptableness, etc.; preferable [1]

I'll use that definition just to clarify that the debate is about better overall, rather than a specific property being better.

Pro asserts that it is unprofessional to chew gum. I have had no experience in a professional position, so I could not affirm this; however, I've never gotten strange looks while chewing gum.

Pro's points:

1. "They give you a good feeling of freshness in your mouth longer than gum."
The example presented refers to a dinner date. While breath mints last longer after expired, they do nothing for the small bits of food in one's mouth. Gum is better in this instance because of its sticky texture when chewed. Studies show that chewing gum reduces the amount of bacteria and plaque left over from the meal, including bacteria that causes bad breath [2]. This results in a cleaner, more "kissable" mouth. Aside from that benefit, chewing gum provides a convenient opportunity to insert a witty line (such as "want to share this gum with me?"), thus increasing the chances of a kissing session; a very desirable benefit in my opinion. Pro did say this debate was for fun. :)

2. "Breath mints are better for all occasions."
Talking with gum is an easy skill to learn (personal experience), and it is easy to silence the sound by chewing with one's mouth closed. It is also a very relaxing activity, even after the flavor has worn off, and can put one in a pleasant mindset in any situation [3]. While breath mints disappear in the user's mouth, gum is just as easy to get rid of when desired; it can be wrapped in the original wrapping and put in one's pocket.

3. "Gum loses its flavor faster than breath mints."
It is true that gum loses its flavor quickly, however, breath mints dissolve in about the same amount of time. I've found multiple times that I run out of breath mints just as quickly as gum, if not more quickly. Of the mints I've tried, the flavor isn't very strong in one single mint, causing me to go through them at a faster rate.

In conclusion, I believe my rebuttals affirm the belief that chewing gum is better than breath mints.

[1] http://dictionary.reference.com...
[2] http://worldental.org...
[3] http://www.wrigley.com...
surpy

Pro

Thank you for this debate. I will first defend my points and then attack my opponents points.

Pro points:

1. My opponent has attacked my first point by saying that breath mints don't do anything with the little bits of food in your mouth left over, and with my dinner date example, what if you just get the soup? If you don't get the soup, and you get food bits in your mouth, then the "sucking" on the breath mints will also suck out the food bits in your teeth, and with the "kissable" mouth, breath mints offer the minty freshness or what ever flavor of mint you get, and if you are dating a nice girl, they probably wont want to taste your gum.

2. I bring up that breath mints are better for all occasions, and my opponent says that it is easy to silence the sound of chewing with one's mouth closed. Well, you can still hear the sound of it and when someone is talking to you and you are chewing away you could only catch a little that person said.

3. I bring up that gum loses its flavor faster then breath mints, and my opponent says that they dissolve in about the same time, breath mints are designed to stay in your mouth for a very long time and gum on the other hand, loses its flavor quickly.

Time to attack my opponent's argument

1. All attack was in my defending my first point.

2. My opponent brings up that it is a relaxing activity, but what if you don't have teeth? or what if you can't chew gum because of your braces or something? but with breath mints it can be enjoyed by everybody, and if you have trouble chewing, then I don't think chewing a piece of gum wont be very relaxing, I would also bring up that I said for ALL occasions.

3. It is possible to buy big bags of mints, and if you are about to go out on the town you just grab a hand full and go on your merry way, from personal experience, I would take a handful of life savors (a kind of breath mint) and I would go out, and I would only use like 1 maybe 2, but I tried taking gum, it didn't last me 5 minuets.

So I would ask you again to please vote for the pro in this debate. Thank you.
jmar8542

Con

Nice points Pro.

My rebuttals:

1. "...the 'sucking' on the breath mints will also suck out the food bits in your teeth..."
Possible, but Pro has no proof of this. If Pro is going only by personal experience, I'll add that I have had much more luck cleaning my teeth on the go with gum as opposed to mints.

"...they probably won't want to taste your gum."
The preference of tastes of gum or mints is entirely up to personal opinion.

2. "Well, you can still hear the sound of it and when someone is talking to you and you are chewing away you could only catch a little that person said."
True...but what if the one who is chewing wants to be left alone, such as when wearing headphones? It wouldn't matter whether the user had mints or gum. Aside from that, one can just stop chewing when he/she is being spoken to.

3. "...breath mints are designed to stay in your mouth for a very long time and gum on the other hand, loses its flavor quickly."
if this is true, does it matter? Your most compelling points seem to revolve around the idea that mints are better for all occasions and produces long-lasting freshness. Which are you considering more important, enjoyment or effects? What if the user doesn't want something in his/her mouth a long time, such as having a drink after the meal?

My points:

1. Gum is cheaper than mints. When comparing the price per pack/tin of Wrigley's 5 gum [1] with Altoids Wintergreen mints [2], the cheaper option is a pack of gum.

2. If the user cares about flavor, there may be a smaller amount of sticks in a pack of gum than mints in a tin, but one stick is as strong as multiple mints, making the amount of flavor equal.

3. If the user cares about convenience, gum stays in your mouth for a much shorter amount of time (reinforced by my opponent's statements).

[1] http://www.amazon.com...
[2] http://www.groovycandies.com...
surpy

Pro

surpy forfeited this round.
jmar8542

Con

Good debate...sorry it ended so soon.
Posted by batman1200 6 years ago
batman1200
is it just me, or does debate.org sent you a notification e-mail?
Posted by surpy 6 years ago
surpy
I am sorry, I have been so busy I forgot about this ><
Posted by Atheism 6 years ago
Atheism
Surpy is going to forfeit.
Posted by batman1200 6 years ago
batman1200
just for you to know, i think that the soft gum would be better on someone's mouth in which there are no teeth present, but the hard edges mints would be rather hard.

btw, i find chewing gum very relaxing
Posted by omfg_ds_69 6 years ago
omfg_ds_69
Both of you have great openings so far with good points :) This will be interesting.
Vote Placed by Atheism 6 years ago
Atheism
surpyjmar8542Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Automatic conduct point to Con because of forfeit.