divyansh1302
dsjpk5

Brexit

dsjpk5

divyansh1302

Pro

Britain's latest campaign to leave the EU is the biggest yet and it has garnered enough momentum to have a referendum. The Leave Campaign argues that Britain is losing out a big deal by staying in the EU: it has to pay millions of pounds each week as a contribution to the European budget; the extremely bureaucratic nature of the European parliament is hurting British exporters; and finally, that unmitigated migration from the European Union into Britain is creating an imbalance in the welfare schemes of the UK government.

However, as numerous experts have pointed out, none of this truly holds water. Britain gains much more from the EU than it pays as contributions; despite the bureaucratic hurdles, British companies have unfettered access to the entire European Union; and finally, Britain would not be able to shut its doors to immigrants even if it exits the EU because to trade with the bloc, it would need to accept some share of outsiders within its borders.

Despite being a ludicrous proposition, countries across the world must address the contingency of a Brexit. If it does happen, it will have wide-ranging repercussions on every country that is remotely connected with the global financial market. Here are five ways in which India will be affected:

1. The uncertainty following Brexit: The biggest drawback of the Leave Campaign is that they have not mapped out the future course of action if Brexit indeed happens. There is no sound plan regarding Britain's future relationship with the EU or any other specific country within the EU. Will they continue to have access to the European markets? Will trade barriers increase if they leave? Are there any agreements with the Union regarding the movement of goods, capital and labour? These are the important questions that are left unanswered by those advocating for Britain to leave the EU. And it is precisely the uncertainty over these questions that are spooking financial markets across the world.

If Brexit does happen, global financial market volatility can be readily expected. Markets across the world will tank. The pound will depreciate against most major economies. India cannot remain immune to this. Sensex and Nifty will tumble in the short-run.

2. Investment: India is presently the second biggest source of FDI (Foreign Direct Investment) for Great Britain. One of the main reasons for this is the historic and cultural ties with the UK that India shares along with the fact that the UK proved to be a gateway into the rest of Europe. Indian companies that would set up their factories in the UK could sell their products to the rest of Europe under the European free market system. However, if Britain exits the EU, it will not be as attractive a destination for Indian FDI as before. Having said that, Britain would not want to lose out on capital coming in from India. Thus, one can expect Britain to try extra hard to woo Indian companies to invest there by providing much bigger incentives in terms of tax breaks, lesser regulation and other financial incentives. Further, if Britain is leaving the EU due to the latter's complex bureaucratic regulatory structure, Indian companies can expect a deregulated and freer market in Britain.

3. Another EU partner: As aforementioned, if Britain exits the EU, India will lose its gateway to Europe. This might force India to forge ties with another country within the EU, which would be a good result in the long run. India is already trying to build trade negotiations with Netherlands, France, Germany, and others, albeit in a small way. Netherlands is India's top FDI destination as of now. A Brexit could force India to build trading partnership with other EU nations in order to access the large EU market.

4. The Commonwealth: With Britain cutting off ties with the EU, it will be desperate to find new trading partners and a source of capital and labour. There have already been many proponents of the Leave Campaign that suggest that the UK should look towards the Commonwealth to forge new alliances. Britain will still need a steady inflow of talented labour, and India fits the bill perfectly due to its English-speaking population. With migration from mainland Europe drying up, Britain would be able to accommodate migration from other countries, which will suit India's interests.

Further, Britain is one of the most important destinations for Indians who want to study abroad. Presently, British universities are forced to offer subsidized rates for citizens of the UK and EU. With Brexit, however, the universities will no longer be obliged to provide scholarships to EU citizens, which will free up funds for students from other countries. Many more Indian students may be able to get scholarships for studying in the UK.

5. Ties with European Union: With or without a Brexit, it would be in Europe's interest to develop India as a strong trade and strategic partner. Brexit would surely accelerate this process. Europe needs to counterbalance United States and China geopolitically and would also need to hedge against a slowing China for its economic interests. For this, Europe would be looking at the fastest-growing major economy in the world and would need to quickly resolve the pending trade issues with India in order to develop a lasting relationship.

Thus, even though Britain stands to suffer from leaving the European Union in terms of reduced trade and a sustained drop in its GDP, the net effect can turn out to be positive for India.
dsjpk5

Con

I'd like to thank my opponent for creating this debate.

PLAGIARISM

My opponent plagiarized his entire first round argument from the following website:

http://m.ndtv.com...

I ask the voters to consider this when voting on this debate.
divyansh1302

Pro

I would literally like to teach u that in a debate u are allowed to gather your info from any source and I would request you to debate and not only try to win
dsjpk5

Con

But what you're not allowed to do is steal someone else's work and pass it off as your own. We're two rounds in, and you have yet to offer any original argument concerning the topic. I'm supposed to be debating you, not the author of that blog. With this in mind, you've given me nothing to refute.
divyansh1302

Pro

So you are telling me I cannot go online to get data about anything but let's just leave it and all I wanna say in brexit is important for india as after exit of Britain from Russia it will use euro as its currency and that will be beneficial for INDIAN market
dsjpk5

Con

My opponent seems to be missing the point. I'm not saying one shouldn't use sources. What I'm saying is that when you do use a source, you need to use quotation marks, and reference your source. If you don't, you're guilty of plagiarism.

REBUTTAL

I'm glad to see my opponent has finally made an original argument. Having said that, I hate you inform him that he went too far the other way. This time he's fallen into a logical fallacy known as a "bare assertion" fallacy. [1] This is when someone makes a claim without providing any substantiation.

With this in mind, I ask the voters to reject his arguments as the baseless claims that they are.

NEGATIVE CASE

According to India's Secretary General of Industry, A. Didan Singh, "We firmly believe that leaving the EU would create considerable uncertainty for Indian businesses
engaged with UK and would possibly have an adverse impact on investment and movement of professionals to the UK." [2]

Finally, England leaving the EU could lead to the volatility of the pound. This could lead to increased risk for businesses within India. [3]

1. https://logfall.wordpress.com...

2. http://m.economictimes.com...

3. Ibid
Posted by dsjpk5 4 months ago
dsjpk5
Now that the debate is over, I hope my opponent nothing but the best in all his future endeavors. As long as he avoids any more plagiarism, he could do well.
Posted by dsjpk5 4 months ago
dsjpk5
Posted by dsjpk5 4 months ago
dsjpk5
I absolutely made an argument.
Posted by Amedexyius 4 months ago
Amedexyius
I would vote, but I don't have respect for plagiarism. I also don't want to be responsible for scarring Pro's win ratio, and giving the rounds to Con even though he made no argument. Plagiarism; Not even once.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 4 months ago
Ragnar
divyansh1302dsjpk5Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct for the bad copy/paste job in R1 (you can paraphrase, but even then credit should be given). S&G for the remainder of pro's writing during the debate, which had zero punctuation, using "u" instead of "you" etc, he was barely legible. Arguments for the single round in consideration R4: pro offered just an assertion about India (which doesn't even address the topic at hand), which con rightly called out for being a fallacious bare assertion, and further offered a source based rebuttal including an actual quote to make a strong appeal to authority from India's Secretary General of Industry. As pro waited for the final round before making even an attempt at an argument, this is effectively a single round debate to which con's case is un-refutable.
Vote Placed by Peepette 4 months ago
Peepette
divyansh1302dsjpk5Tied
Reasons for voting decision: PRO?s contention R1 is plagiarized, negating the whole argument. In R2 PRO makes claim that the Euro would reflect positively on the Indian market. CON adequately that the volatility of the pound would be risky business to India?s businesses. Conduct to CON, no plagiarism, Sources of CON as well as they were used to affirm his point.