NewSoul95
adhominem

Britain get rid of the Royal family

NewSoul95

Pro

It's simple: Hereditary public office goes against every democratic principle.

And because we can"t hold the Queen and her family to account at the ballot box, there"s nothing to stop them abusing their privilege, misusing their influence or simply wasting our money.

Meanwhile, the monarchy gives vast arbitrary power to the government, shutting voters out from major decisions affecting the national interest. The Queen can only ever act in the interests of the government of the day and does not represent ordinary voters.

The monarchy is a broken institution. A head of state that"s chosen by us could really represent our hopes and aspirations " and help us keep politicians in check.
adhominem

Con

I agree that the monarchy should not be allowed to exercise their power of veto over certain parliament decisions, I am in favour of removing that rarely used privilege. However in practice the Monarchy is an APOLITICAL entity, the royal family would never dare to be engaged in the politics of the UK in a significant way as this would risk their own demise.

So given that the Royal Family has no real political power and avoid using what little theoretical powers they have in practice; I believe the question is therefore should we get rid of the institution of monarchy completely out of principal and as you suggest have a head of state such as in France (the president) or should we retain the monarchy and in my opinion, continue to benefit significantly from the tourism that comes with it.

I believe that if we completely get rid of the monarchy tourism will suffer significantly, i believe the UK makes a profit out of the Monarchy though I haven't researched this recently and we get good value for having them. Getting rid of the monarchy at this point, we would be essentially destroying a major tourist attraction on a point of principle, which I don't think needs to be made. Reforming the role of Monarchy is preferable IMO to removing them completely.

In addition to your other point about head of state, I certainly believe we don't need that and can function fine without a President. Head of state is not required by democracy, there was no head of state in Ancient Greece and they did fine for many hundreds of years. In We could remove the head of state duty from the queen but then that would tie up the government/prime minister unnecessarily in pointless state events which are better delegated to someone who doesn't have important work to do.

Our Royal Family performs a similar role in public engagements as the "First lady" in other countries and I would prefer trained professionals to do this work than someone's wife, who might not be too interested in doing it.
NewSoul95

Pro

NewSoul95 forfeited this round.
adhominem

Con

adhominem forfeited this round.
NewSoul95

Pro

NewSoul95 forfeited this round.
adhominem

Con

adhominem forfeited this round.