titicoco
jammy2015

Britain should change its voting system to proportional representation.

titicoco

titicoco

Pro

Britain has had un-democatic and unfair style of voting for to long now. Its time to change it.
jammy2015

Con

Yes I agree the British voting system is not perfect. But what is perfect. Democracy will always be flawed their will never be a system where everyone has a say that is equal.

The system in Britain is a good system because everyone has an equal say. The say may be small but an equal say all the best. You vote in your community for your MP if you do not like the MP that has been elected you wait for a term and then you vote again. If you want a bigger voice you join a party and you campaign to have a bigger say. The system in Britain works because if you have an issue to raise with the government you bring it up with your MP and they try and fix it.

If you were to remake Britain what system would you use?
titicoco

Pro

You say that no system is ever perfect but some systems are closer to perfect than others. The system that you are arguing for is first past the post I presume. In this recent election Ukip (not my favourtite party) got 12.6% of the vote. That should get them 82 seats in the house of commons if it was done fairly. When I say fairly I mean percentage of seats per percentage of votes. However in first past the post Ukip only get one seat.

The green party party got 3.8% of the vote. That should gaurantee them 24 seats. Typically though they only got 1 though. There are many other examples. For instance the Lib Dems should have got 51 seats. First past the post gave them 8.

When you say that in first past the post everyone has an equal say you are wrong. If you live in my constituency where the tories have 52% of the vote and you are a green party supporter your vote doesnt count. However if we had proportional representation every vote from every person would count towards the actual numbers of Mps.

You say that if you want a bigger say you can join a party and help campaign. But joining a party costs money.
Joining The Tories Costs £25
Joining Labour is £3.88 per month.
Some people living on the minimun wage could not afford this.

https://join.labour.org.uk...
https://www.conservatives.com...

jammy2015

Con

jammy2015 forfeited this round.
titicoco

Pro

It seems my opponent has forfieted rather than debate me. Please can he post his argument so we can resume the debate.
jammy2015

Con

jammy2015 forfeited this round.
titicoco

Pro

Again. He has clearly gicen up in this debate. So when you vote please vote pro because con fails to face me in debate!!
jammy2015

Con

jammy2015 forfeited this round.
Posted by titicoco 1 year ago
titicoco
To PointyDelta I totally agree that having a large Ukip voice in parliament would be bad but that is what people want. If everyone has a equal say then surely we should acknowledge supporters of all parties. Dont forget that although Ukips voice will go up so will that of the Green party and the Lib Dems.
Posted by PointyDelta 1 year ago
PointyDelta
Anything that restricts UKIP from Parliament is a good system in my book.
Vote Placed by lannan13 1 year ago
lannan13
titicocojammy2015Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture