mbryan90
SactownBoom

Britain's Membership of the European Union

mbryan90

Pro

The argument to be made is one of whether Britain should remain a member of the European Union.

The first round is for acceptance, second round for opening statements, third round to answer contrasting ideas, and further explain one's own ideas while disputing the opponent's, and the fourth round is for a final closing statement.

I wish my competitor the best of luck.
SactownBoom

Con

Accepted.
mbryan90

Pro

My opponent's record in debates is one which leaves me with grave concern - having accepted many debates only to then write grossly inappropriate material. I sincerely hope this isn't the case in this debate, where I hope it is possible for us to have a real conversation of whether Britain should remain a member of the European Union.

My first question to my opponent would be this. After Brexit, the UK would have to negotiate a new trading relationship with the EU in order for British businesses to sell goods/services to the EU without huge tariffs and large restrictions. So which alternative, which model, would we follow after a Brexit vote? Would we become like Norway which pays into the European Union budget, yet still accepts free movement of people and must obey to all EU rules without a say in it, or perhaps like Switzerland where we would pay into the EU budget, accept free movement of people, have no say in EU rules as well as having a restriction to the access of the single market.

Britain leaving the EU could seriously undermine jobs in Britain with millions of jobs at risk as global manufacturers move to EU competitors such as France and Germany. The attractiveness of the UK as a place to invest and do business is clearly underpinned by the UK's influential membership of the EU.

"The success of the UK financial services industry is to a large extent built on EU Internal Market legislation. To abandon this for some untried, unknown and unpredictable alternative would carry very significant risks," said global law firm Clifford Chance in a report. Brexit is painted as a risk, a gamble, due to the unpredictability of markets. Markets in China are so fragile, so volatile, that the UK leaving the EU could cause further economic turmoil as business leaders have suggested.

Now to a subject which is likely to be a strong matter for many; Immigration. I ask of the many nationalities few are European. Immigration from the rest of the EU has been good for Britain's economy and the UK's high growth forecasts are based on continued high levels of net migration. The Office of Budget Responsibility says that the economy relies on migrant labour and taxes paid by migrants to keep funding public services.

The EU is the UK's main trading partner, worth more than "400bn a year, or 52% of the total trade in goods and services. Complete withdrawal from the EU would see trade barriers erected, with imports/exports to the EU facing huge tariffs. "The idea that the UK would be freer outside the EU is based on a series of misconceptions, that a medium-sized, open economy could hold sway in an increasingly fractured trading system dominated by the US, the EU and China; that the EU makes it harder for Britain to penetrate emerging markets; and that foreign capital would be more attracted to Britain's economy if it were no longer part of the single market," the Centre for European Reform said in a recent report.

My final argument is Britain loosing its influence which it has fought so hard for. Stripped of influence in Brussels, Berlin and Paris, Britain would find itself increasingly ignored by Washington and sidelined on big transnational issues such as the environment, security and trade. America and other allies want Britain to remain in the EU. The UK risks becoming a maverick, isolated state if it leaves.

I look forward to the reply of my competitor.
SactownBoom

Con

SactownBoom forfeited this round.
mbryan90

Pro

mbryan90 forfeited this round.
SactownBoom

Con

SactownBoom forfeited this round.
mbryan90

Pro

mbryan90 forfeited this round.
SactownBoom

Con

SactownBoom forfeited this round.
Posted by mbryan90 8 months ago
mbryan90
A tie, ridiculous!