Angus5636
TheHitchslap

British Teachers Often Don't Afford Students The Credit Of Intelligence

TheHitchslap

Angus5636

Pro

I am a 13 year-old with a rather uncommon disorder named Aspergers Syndrome, this means that I am able to challenge the modern psyche of children are inferior to adults, which some people take for granted and have never thought to challenge. Essentially, even when it isn't a smart thing to do, my brain makes me say things to teachers which I regret later. I first truly realised the extent of teachers disrespect for their pupils on the 21st of may at 2 o'clock. I had recived a detention based on the school's new "double removal system" which has evidently been set up to punish repeat offenders who have given up on school and think there is nothing left in education. I had recieved the detention for not having my homework diary signed. I immediatelly thought that this was unfair, on the whole, I behave impeccably towards my betters and I didn't see why I should recieve this for not finding time to get my parent's to sign my diary. Admittedly, I did spend time playing games that I could have spent getting my diary signed. I asked the teacher from whom I had recieved the detention why I had it, and all he said was that it was important to sign your diary so that the school knows my homework has been seen by my parents, and that the school uses diaries to communicate with the students parents. I knew for a fact that this wasn't true, in nine out of ten lessons, teachers write nothing in diaries. And here was where my Aspergers became a problem. I responded by saying that I didn't believe this was nessesary, I didn't speak my mind because of the precise reason I created this debate. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I want the school education system to be run by rampant youths and that I want to be exluded from justice, I am merely trying to help the education system understand it's pupils better.

Teachers need to respect their pupils and give them the right to speak to each other as equals more often.

Thank You for your time.
TheHitchslap

Con

Hello, hopefully I can help! =) I'm Steve, and I shall try to explain to you what exactly happened and why! Now the reason why I took this? Becuase I have gone to school with children who also have AS like you. It was tough at times, but rest assured, I do know if I put this in perspective for you, that you will better understand what happened, but work hard to prevent it from happening again!

First, you will outgrow this stage in your life. The majority of people with AS do. The thing thats unique about AS is that you have a differing outlook on life than everyone else. So your normally isolated, not really into social situations all the time, and love the things you love; almost to the point of obsession. See? Told ya I know what having AS is like!

Now, why did the teacher punish you for not getting your diary signed? Well there is a few reasons, but first of all, it wasn't because he was a jerk who hates you. I want to stress this, he wants to watch you succeed because it makes him as a teacher feel good knowing he can share with your parents watching you succeed in life too. I had a friend named Bob who I grew up with who had AS. He's in college now living on his own! But school was tough for him until he "out grew" AS by working with his teachers.

Now, why did they punish you? First, they want you to think "well this sucks, next time I actually will have to get it signed so that way I won't have to do this again!" Other students have to do it, and maybe your parents asked your teacher to keep in touch with them about you. Second, having AS can mean you get disorganized really badly, and so when a project comes up, your going to get stressed out. This is really bad for people with AS, it causes depression, suicides, self-loathing, anti-social behaviors, etc... The key here is to take your projects, and homework step-by-step. They're trying to teach you about the "real world", and unfortunately what is fair doesn't always occur. Lets say I'm cooking hamburger in the kitchen and I accidently forgot about it, what could happen? Well the crappy part is now I have burnt hamburgers. So they want to show you every action has consequences, and they want you to develop a way of dealing with your duties as a student to help you remember.

They didn't give you a detention because your a bad student, they gave you a detention because you didn't do what you were suppose to do. Your teacher probably already knows your a good student. But he needs you to keep focused, and he is trying to get you to find a way to remember what you have to do.

It's nothing personal. Try leaving yourself some sticky notes to remind yourself of stuff you have to do, and I know it's scary for you, but try to hangout with lots of people, and try to work on not just seeing the way things happen, but understanding why they happened.

Best of luck to you!
Steve!

http://www.webmd.com...
http://www.myaspergerschild.com...;
Posted by Skeptikitten 4 years ago
Skeptikitten
As a person with Asperger's, I should tell you that it does not help us to be seen as "normal" by society when we expect special treatment for a disorder that does, quite frankly, allow us to be extremely high functioning.
You are basically stating that you expected to be held to different standards than the rest of the students in your school; that despite being cognizant of the policy of having your parents sign your diary, you expected your teacher to give you a "free pass" simply because you have AS.
Posted by CarminPolitano 4 years ago
CarminPolitano
I can't actually vote because I don't have a cell phone.
Posted by CarminPolitano 4 years ago
CarminPolitano
Agus5636 challenges the modern psyche of children are inferior to adults and gives an example. TheHitchslap forgot about the actual debate and focusing only on the example, responded like the contested British Teacher.

Agus5636 admits that the teacher gave him a chance to speak. In this gesture, the teacher gave Agus5636 the credit of intelligence. If the teacher thought Anus5636 was stupid, then the teacher would not have given Anus5636 a chance to speak. Also, If Angus5636 thought of himself as a "student" rather than a lessor (he calls his teacher a "better"), he might realize that his teacher is causing him to learn to remember to get his paper signed.

Therefore, I have chosen to vote for TheHitchslap because Angus5636 testified in his example that his teacher gave the credit of intelligence. Also, Angus5636 testified in his example that Angus5636 is not giving himself the credit of intelligence.

Angus5636 writes very well and in this has proven to me that he is intelligent. Therefore, I believe that Angus5636 will learn to raise the priority of getting proper signatures.
Posted by StevenDixon 4 years ago
StevenDixon
Is assburgers bad or good?
Posted by TheDarkMuffin 4 years ago
TheDarkMuffin
Quite frankly, you could say anything like that in symbolic interaction or any "disorder." Everyone simply has a different personality occupation and should be treated uniquely based on this.

Which is a point that still works in favor of Angus.
Posted by YYW 4 years ago
YYW
The DSM-V does not recognize Aspergers as a unique disorder. It not occupies a place on the autism spectrum.
Posted by TheDarkMuffin 4 years ago
TheDarkMuffin
I have Asperger's as well, and it often seems to me, as well as it appears to be the case for you based on my apprehension, that teachers, as if intentionally, often punish me by skewing my thoughts and with the pretense that I "talk to much" or something of the sort.
Posted by Thandiflight 4 years ago
Thandiflight
Did you come for a debate, or a place to post a story?
Vote Placed by Skeptikitten 4 years ago
Skeptikitten
Angus5636TheHitchslapTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro did not actually argue for his resolution, which was that British teachers do not credit students with intelligence, but rather seemed simply to complain that he received the standard punishment for violating a clearly stated and understood school policy.
Vote Placed by bladerunner060 4 years ago
bladerunner060
Angus5636TheHitchslapTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con did an excellent job of explaining the situation to Pro to show the perspective that seemed to be lacking, and was surprisingly nice while doing it.