timmyboyox
GavinLorenz

British air strikes in Syria are futile

timmyboyox

Pro

I am going to be debating against the use of British military forces abroad, primarily in Syria. As recent events have unfolded, despite the sharp criticism of the notion, David Cameron has pressed the motion in Parliament victoriously; a number of video sources prove he avoided questions and, seemingly a new mannerism, appeared to know his argument was weak at best. It is my belief that using the military abroad not only escalates the worse of the situation but inexplicably creates a new situation, born of old.

The Tornado jet fighters used for the first run of air strikes in Syria each carried 3 Paveway IV bombs, with the cost per bomb residing at approximately "30,000 each jet had "90,000's worth of bombs on board... four jets were used resulting in a cost of "360,000 and when you take into account the fuel used for the jets at around "420,000 per three hour run, between four jets, you have "780,000 worth of taxpayer money. The result? Well, nothing spectacular, nothing special. Will that change? No, bombing runs will not make anything better for us at home in Britain. David Cameron has claimed that in advocating the bombings and getting Parliaments approval he is keeping us safe; truly, this ties hand in hand with the commonplace concept of safety above privacy. Hand in hand. War is no gentle thing, given the political tensions between the major world powers i.e Russia, Britain, America etc. would it not be sensible to leave the Middle East alone? Russia supports Assad, the regime that the western coalition is trying to diminish and destroy. Why provoke action from the one country that, under President Vladimir Putin has the means and mentality to wage a war that scales to the likes of World War II all over again? Do I say we as a nation should cower before the other powers of the world? No, I say use diplomacy. Save the taxpayers money for those at home and leave our soldiers where they belong.

The Syria incursion [as this is exactly what is it] is, in effect, a repeat of what happened in Afghanistan and Iraq. Surely, people have researched Afghanistan? No? Perhaps you should, have a look at what Afghanistan was like as a nation prior to western intervention, prior to the Al Qaeda black-flag operation.

- I do apologise if my initial opening seems poorly structured and weakly reinforced.
I invite you to present your opening round in a similar manner, freely expressing your thoughts and feelings towards this subject along with research of your own. At this point, I will respond with a direct response.
GavinLorenz

Con

Well as they are we can't stop this they are part of the government and all in all they bombed a ISIS camp and that means we are one stop closer to stopping them!!
timmyboyox

Pro

timmyboyox forfeited this round.
GavinLorenz

Con

GavinLorenz forfeited this round.
timmyboyox

Pro

timmyboyox forfeited this round.
GavinLorenz

Con

GavinLorenz forfeited this round.
timmyboyox

Pro

timmyboyox forfeited this round.
GavinLorenz

Con

GavinLorenz forfeited this round.
Posted by Reformist 1 year ago
Reformist
Yeah

But if you restricted me

That would've been any ez win for you
Posted by timmyboyox 1 year ago
timmyboyox
you should have accepted the debate reformist. The stage was yours my friend, to use as you will.
Posted by Reformist 1 year ago
Reformist
Ill accept

But only on the condition that I can use my interpretation of the airstrikes and why they could be useful