Bob13
KingofEverything

British and English are not the same language.

Bob13

Pro

Burden of proof is shared. Please accept.
KingofEverything

Con

Bob13

Pro

English is a language that evolved in Great Britain and has two main dialects: American and British. Everyone who speaks British speaks English, but not everyone who speaks British speaks English. Therefore, they are not the same.

KingofEverything

Con

I am short on time. I apologize of this seems rushed.

The British invented the English language, therefore it is their official language. If you just say "English", then it isn't specific enough to tell you what people are talking about, but I will refer to English as British English (British) since they have the rights to it.

I also noticed a problem in Pro's argument. He states that "Everyone who speaks British speaks English, but not everyone who speaks British speaks English." This is a contradiction.

Statement 1: Everyone who speaks British speaks English.

Statement 2: NOT everyone who speaks British speaks English.

And because this is a contradiction, Pro concedes that they are the same, since his own argument for why he claims they ar not the same is contradicted.
Bob13

Pro

I messed up by saying that contradiction. I meant to say that all who speak British speak English, but not all who speak English speak British.
KingofEverything

Con

My opponent only reverses his contradiction instead of presenting an argument. Until my opponent makes a new case or rebut mine, my point on how English came from Great Britain stands.
Bob13

Pro

By reversing my contradiction, it made sense. British is a dialect of the English language, not the language itself. It is true that English originated in Great Britain, but that is not a sufficient argument. Latin originated in Italy, but Latin and Italian are definitely not the same language.
KingofEverything

Con

English was formed by the British because it is their language. British English was the first English, this it belongs to them.

Italian was a completely different version and reformation of Latin. This a different situation, Italian isn't referred to as Italian Latin like the way our American version of English is referred to as American English. Just saying English is not specific enough as I don't know according to the resolution which English you're discussing, but technically, English is British since they created the language
Bob13

Pro

British English was not the first English. What is now known as American English was the first, so by your logic, English actually belongs to the Americans.

But that does not matter because your logic is flawed. It basically follows like this:

P1) English was invented by the British.

P2) British people speak English.

C1) British English was the original English.

C2) British and English are the same language.

Not only is the first premise false, there is a logical gap between P2 and C2.

These sources and many more can prove that the modern American accent used to be the way all English speakers spoke, disproving your premise that British English was the original one.

KingofEverything

Con

America didn't exist back then though, so you couldn't trace it back to America.
Posted by KingofEverything 1 year ago
KingofEverything
Hmm now things are getting interesting.
Posted by BlackFlags 1 year ago
BlackFlags
There isn't a British language, but there are dozens of obscure native languages from the various historical counties of Britain.
Posted by GoOrDin 1 year ago
GoOrDin
I only posted once.. srry. UNLESS

unles su mean welsh, and scot and irish are British and English is just one of the group...
Posted by GoOrDin 1 year ago
GoOrDin
They are. That is a fact. This is not debateable.

Same grammatical rules, Same diction.

culturally different, but linguistically the same language.
no different then a Texan accent and an Albertan accent.
Posted by GoOrDin 1 year ago
GoOrDin

Same grammatical rules, Same diction.