atoy120
HermanGomez95

Bruce Jenner didn't deserve the Arthur Ashe Courage Award

HermanGomez95

atoy120

Pro

1'st round is acceptance.
HermanGomez95

Con

Thanks to my opponent for initiating this debate. I would like to remind him that since he has taken an objective pro stance, he has given himself the BoP (Burden of Proof). I look forward to hashing out this controversial topic with him!

Let’s keep this civil, but impassioned!

atoy120

Pro

There are many reasons why Bruce Jenner didn't deserve the award. It is a sports award and he hasn't done any thing courageous in sports. He made a lifestyle change. And hes not even transgender because he didn't even have his penis removed. So hes still a dude. 2 People who deserve it more are Noah Galloway or Lauren Hill. Noah Galloway lost an arm and a leg in Iraq and he was on Dancing with the stars. Lauren Hill played basketball with terminal cancer. If either of those things happened to other people most of them would have given up. But they didn't. A guy playing dress up isn't courageous. Courage is strength in the face of pain or grief. Playing basketball with an incurable illness or doing Dancing with the stars is much more courageous.
HermanGomez95

Con

Before I post my arguments, I will, for the sake of the voters, affirm that I will call Caitlyn Jenner only by her name. (Hence, whenever my opponent uses Bruce Jenner, he means Caitlyn and vice-versa for me.

With that mentioned, here’s my opening statement.

My opponent has sporadically called to debate a serious topic that’s been polarizing the United States for the past few weeks. His assertions that Caitlyn Jenner didn’t deserve the award are inherently false because he fails to prove her lack of bravery. In my following debates, I’ll not only refute any “evidence” my opponent will try to submit, but I will also provide sufficient evidence that 1.) Caitlyn Jenner is inherently brave and 2.) Noah Galloway and Lauren Hill should not be used as evidence because they were not formally considered for the award.

Before allowing my opponent to continue his debate, I’d like to address one mistake he makes in his arguments:

“And he’s not even transgender because he didn't even have his penis removed. So he’s still a dude.”

This is false for a multitude of reasons, two of which I’ll take the time to address. 1.) it perpetuates the myth that, in order to be transgender, one must have a complete sex change. This is proven false simply by the definition of transgender: noting or relating to a person whose gender identity does not correspond to that person’s biological sex assigned at birth: the transgender movement. 2.) My opponent clearly does not understand the difference from “dress-up” and living as the person you are meant to be. This fallacy will only result in further lack of understanding that I’ll address as it comes within this debate.

That’s a wrap for my opening arguments, I’ll provide more substantial evidence in further rounds. ‘till then, good luck to my opponent.

http://dictionary.reference.com...

atoy120

Pro

atoy120 forfeited this round.
HermanGomez95

Con

Since Pro failed to post continuing arguments, I’ll extend my arguments to give Pro a fair chance at debating this topic. I’m sure he’s just busy.

With that in mind, I once again turn the argument over to pro. See you next time!

atoy120

Pro

atoy120 forfeited this round.
HermanGomez95

Con

Since my opponent has forfeited the past two rounds, while still not refuting any of my assertions, he should not be given any points for this debate. It’s a shame too. I was looking forward to a well fought debate. But, alas, I’ll try for better luck next time.

By all means Vote Con!

Posted by TheOpinionist 1 year ago
TheOpinionist
It would have been a good one. IDK if that's the rule. It wasn't specified, so I guess it's fair game?
Posted by TheOpinionist 1 year ago
TheOpinionist
ooohhhh... I guess this argument is null now?
Posted by TheOpinionist 1 year ago
TheOpinionist
If we're playing by Caitlyn's rules, he (I will say he) is a new person with no sports achievements. It should be given to Bruce (if either), as Caitlyn has specified that they're "different people." Not to mention that the whole thing was pitched by his PR team...
Vote Placed by sadolite 1 year ago
sadolite
atoy120HermanGomez95Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited two rounds, poor conduct. Conduct points to con. Spelling and grammar tie Pro included irrelevant people in his argument. Argument points to con. Pro gave no sources. Points to con
Vote Placed by imabench 1 year ago
imabench
atoy120HermanGomez95Tied
Reasons for voting decision: forfeited