seraphobia
Schuman8rr

Buddhism is better than most religions.

Voting Style: Open with Elo Restrictions Point System: 7 Point

seraphobia

Pro

Honestly, Buddhism is better than most other religions in my opinion. Message me if your up for the challenge! I'm pro (for), if you just want to post an opinion on the topic, leave a comment. First round will state your religion, why you think it is better than Buddhism, and the benefits of your religion. Second round will oppose the opponent's arguments, and continue until a winner is decided.

I believe Buddhism is best because it does not require you to use specific religious practices, does not worship a god, and does not push the religion on others.
Buddhism does not tell you "here is a god/goddess, you have to believe in it and worship it.", in fact Buddhism does not even have a god or goddess, the person we look up to was a real person who founded Buddhism. Also Buddhism can be combined with other religions, they do not judge anybody by what they believe in. Buddhists are not born into the religion, they are not chosen to become Buddhist, its always a choice. Buddhists are told about a belief, then left to think their opinion on the belief, rather than being told what to believe, like most religions do.
Schuman8rr

Con

Thank you for allowing me to debate this topic with you. It is one that I feel very passionate about. I will be taking the stance that Christianity is better and more appealing to people than Buddhism

C1: Christianity accepts all people

If you look at the New Testament of the Bible, you can see Jesus socializing and interacting with the outcasts of society. One of his friends was Matthew, a tax collector. Tax collectors at this time were hated by the public because they would often steal some of the money they collected. The fact that Jesus befriended some of these people shows modern people that they can always turn to Jesus. If someone believes they are a bad person or have done bad in their life, they know that they can look to Jesus for support because he tolerates and forgives sinners. As for homosexuals, many Old Testament laws were made null by the coming of Jesus. Some of these include animal sacrifice and the wearing of mixed fabrics. When Jesus came, he stated he was the new and only covenant with the people. This means that we must only follow the laws that he lived by and taught. Jesus never taught to isolate or attack the gays in any way so assuming homosexuality is against Christianity is false.

C2: If you follow Christianity, you will likely do more good in your life than bad.

This contention will be talking about how Christianity benefits the public and their interactions with each other. The New Testament teaches that we must see Jesus as a role model and follow in the ways of him. A common thing parents say to young children during a time of bad behavior is "what would Jesus do?" The fact that this exists proves that devout followers of Christ will do less evil than people that do not follow him. Now the Bible teaches that Jesus was the only human to ever not have sin, this being said all people Christian or not will do evil sometimes. My point is that if you follow Christianity you will treat the people around you better and overall do more good for the world.

C3: Christianity gives closure during difficult times for an individual

The difference between Buddhism and Christianity is that Buddhism does not have a specific deity to worship. Christianity has a God that you worship and pray to when you are in need of help. Christians believe that God will answer these prayers and will give you the help you need. For example if you have lost your job or are in economic hardship, you can pray to God and receive the help you need. Buddhism does not offer these benefits because they do not believe a deity can help them.

"I believe Buddhism is best because it does not require you to use specific religious practices, does not worship a god, and does not push the religion on others."

In this statement, you are assuming that Buddhism is the only religion that does not push religion on others. Christianity in no way calls for people to push their religion onto others.

" they do not judge anybody by what they believe in"

Again, Christianity does not call for people to do this either. It teaches that you should love everyone as yourself and love God above all things.

" Buddhists are not born into the religion, they are not chosen to become Buddhist, its always a choice. Buddhists are told about a belief, then left to think their opinion on the belief, rather than being told what to believe, like most religions do."

This statement can be true for all religions, it is based on the individual. If a small child is born into Buddhism, he will likely be Buddhist until he is old enough to think for himself. Until that time comes, he will stay in the faith he was born in. This is true for most religions out there as kids copy their parents and people around them at young ages. But saying that Buddhism is the only religion that let's people choose belief is false. Christianity has so many different sects and branches that you can find one that suits you. If none of these suit you, you can identify as a normal Christian and have beliefs that are specific to you. This is exactly what I did and I have not found any Christians to judge me or others for it.
seraphobia

Pro

seraphobia forfeited this round.
Schuman8rr

Con

My opponent has forfeited so I extend all arguments.
seraphobia

Pro

seraphobia forfeited this round.
seraphobia

Pro

seraphobia forfeited this round.
Schuman8rr

Con

Schuman8rr forfeited this round.
seraphobia

Pro

seraphobia forfeited this round.
Schuman8rr

Con

With pro not responding on most rounds I encourage you to vote con.
Posted by Furyan5 2 years ago
Furyan5
Now if only people practiced what they preach imagine what an amazing world this could be. Every religion living in harmony with the others. Truely loving thy neighbour and not just thy christian neighbour. A person may actually be tempted to believe in God.
Posted by seraphobia 2 years ago
seraphobia
I should have limited how much you can type... That's the longest debate I have ever seen! Well done schuman8rr!
Posted by seraphobia 2 years ago
seraphobia
I apologize for having forfeited the last few rounds, I was not able to debate because i was unable to reach a computer, and if i were able to, i would have not been able to debate due to extreme depression. ( my grandfather died of a stroke at a wedding and i caught him, he died in my arms.)
Posted by Furyan5 2 years ago
Furyan5
I see your text but all I read is blah blah blah
Posted by AbbyRitter 2 years ago
AbbyRitter
The idea of one religion being better than the others completely undermines the whole point of religion in the first place. We're not meant to fight over which is better, we're meant to choose our path, follow it, and respect those who took other paths because it's basic human decency.
Posted by seraphobia 2 years ago
seraphobia
Okay Schuman8rr, i have challenged you.
Id be happy to go for Buddhism versus Christianity.
Posted by Schuman8rr 2 years ago
Schuman8rr
I would love to debate this with you. However I just joined the site and have not met the expected criteria for me to accept. If you could challenge me or open it up, that'd be great.

I would be debating Christianity if I had the chance.
Posted by Furyan5 2 years ago
Furyan5
I say rastafarian is the best of all religions.
Posted by 18Karl 2 years ago
18Karl
shalal12, you ignorant takfir. The conflict in Burma is based on ethnicity, not religion. It just happened that the Rohingyas happened to be Muslim and the Rakhines just happened to be Buddhists.
Posted by Elord 2 years ago
Elord
Not 100% sure but I think Buddhism is more belief system than religion.
Like live XYZ to go to Nirvana, but no gods and stuff to worship really.