Ithuwakaga
Yraelz

Buddhism is good for me.

Yraelz

Ithuwakaga

Pro

I believe Buddhism to be good for me. It helps me to focus my mind, see the world in a better way, and ultimately aspire to be a good altruistic person.

This is my first debate, so I think the etiquette is to thank you for accepting the debate. So thank you for accepting the debate, I'm excited to hear your side of the issue.
Yraelz

Con

It's nice to finally debate you dude, you should definitely come and visit us at some point. Anyways, debate time.

You list three advantages of Buddhism yet little do you see that all three of these are just as possible without Buddhism. It is entirely possible to focus your mind without Buddhism, you can meditate for example or simply concentrate.

On your second point, "see the world in a better way" I would argue that not only is it possible to adopt the philosophical foundations of Buddhism without actually being Buddhist but also that Buddhism skews your view of the world. Something that typically happens when one adopts mythological creatures to worship.

And finally, that it is very easy to be an altruistic person without Buddhism.

The fact of the matter is my dear friend, that Buddhism, while it has the possibility to do all of these things, it isn't unique in doing so. In fact, Buddhism effectively puts your mind in a box, whereas mine is unlimited.
Ithuwakaga

Pro

You are missing the topic point. The argument is "Buddhism is good for me," not "Buddhism is the only way to be a good person."

Defense:

I can choose to not be Buddhist, and at the same time obtain all the benefits of *being* Buddhist (as stated in your argument), but again, that's not what we're debating.

"Buddhism skews your view of the world. Something that typically happens when one adopts mythological creatures to worship."

This statement proves your lack of knowledge on the topic of Buddhism. You do not "worship" any sort of creature in Buddhism. Making such a reckless statement says you are not worthy to debate on a topic you know so little about. I suggest you read the wikipedia article on Buddhism; http://en.wikipedia.org...

Offense:

Buddhism's very root principles tell you to limit suffering, in yourself and in the world. Whatever your religious beliefs are, we can all agree that if the world was actively trying to limit suffering, it'd be a bette
Yraelz

Con

Yraelz forfeited this round.
Ithuwakaga

Pro

Ithuwakaga forfeited this round.
Yraelz

Con

The topic of course: Is Buddhism good for Ithuwakaga.

The answer is going to be a rather obvious no.

First off let's examine the idea that all the "good" benefits of Buddhism are not Buddhist specific. In other words, my opponent, the illustrious Ithuwakaga is just as good of a person with Buddhism as without. Let's take an analogy on this one: Hitler felt that strong nationalism was a good thing and thus based a great deal of his party on the idea. Thus to be part of Hitler's political one was therefor strongly nationalist. However this does not mean Hitler's political party somehow MADE you nationalist. You can be nationalist without Hitler. Same case here, Buddhism doesn't make you anything, all of it's advantages hold no uniqueness to Buddhism.

Which brings me to the main issue and a direct extension from my above. Buddhism does not somehow MAKE you limit suffering in the world. You do that, whether you have Buddhism or not.

P.S. Buddha is mythological.
Ithuwakaga

Pro

Ithuwakaga forfeited this round.
Yraelz

Con

Let's call it a two round debate then.
Posted by ReginaldJeeves 6 years ago
ReginaldJeeves
Yraelz, what do you mean The Buddha was mythological?
Posted by Ithuwakaga 8 years ago
Ithuwakaga
Sorry for forfeiting my rounds, college has taken practically all my time away from me. Give the win to the Contender.
Posted by Ithuwakaga 8 years ago
Ithuwakaga
I forfeited my last round so we'd have an equal chance at debate. My good friend Yraelz was at a "debate tournament" (or so he says).
Posted by Ithuwakaga 8 years ago
Ithuwakaga
I would have definitely won if it hadn't cut me off... =(
Posted by Yraelz 8 years ago
Yraelz
Naaa, I need to make sure I win. It'll be a while. I'm focusing on my debate with Logical right now.
Posted by Ithuwakaga 8 years ago
Ithuwakaga
To be right, you don't have to prove yourself, but instead prove that I'm wrong...?

OH NOEZ!!!11!1!!

(Nick Naylor is a superhero, you have to admit)

P.S.: We could probably have this debate finished in the next 10 minutes if we *really* tried.
Posted by Yraelz 8 years ago
Yraelz
Yes I did, watch and learn! Mwahahaha!

Thank you for smoking is a god.
Posted by Ithuwakaga 8 years ago
Ithuwakaga
You didn't even debate the claim =P
Posted by Yraelz 8 years ago
Yraelz
Lol, I'm so ownzing you.
Posted by Ithuwakaga 8 years ago
Ithuwakaga
"It'd be a better place" is what I meant to say! Damn! Why did it do that?!

By the way, I was going to add in "and you're my friend, I'm sorry if I'm being harsh," but there wasn't enough room for characters. Who made it 1,000 characters anyway?!

... =o
Vote Placed by Yraelz 8 years ago
Yraelz
IthuwakagaYraelzTied
Vote Placed by Crust89 8 years ago
Crust89
IthuwakagaYraelzTied