TheBuddhist2468
mightbenihilism

Buddhism: the true way to inner Peace?

mightbenihilism

TheBuddhist2468

Pro

Yes. I am a Buddhist, and I feel that Buddhism is the only religion that finds inner Peace, and I also feel that its complex teachings are for intellectuals to understand, and not as simple as some other fairy tale religions that we are presently in notice of. Furthermore, the Buddhist practice of meditation is a way to widen your thinking power and memory power, and it also gives you a composed and calm appearance.
mightbenihilism

Con

This is my first debate. If I mess up, I'm sorry!

1. In Buddhism there is no God. How can they explain the universe's existence then?
2. Buddha was only a human being, according to Buddhism. If that is true, why should he be trusted over anyone else? It is better to believe a book revealed by a God like the Qur'an, Torah and the Bible rather than the ideas one human being came up with.
3. Buddhism says there is rebirth, but where is the scientific evidence for this?
4. Buddhism says that self is an illusion, but if that is true, who attains inner peace?
5. Buddhism says we should be non-violent, but what if we need to defend ourselves?

Unless Buddhism has a convincing explanation to these five points, it cannot be true.
TheBuddhist2468

Pro

TheBuddhist2468 forfeited this round.
mightbenihilism

Con

The prosecution rests.
TheBuddhist2468

Pro

TheBuddhist2468 forfeited this round.
mightbenihilism

Con

Charlie sheen is not a Budhist.
TheBuddhist2468

Pro

TheBuddhist2468 forfeited this round.
mightbenihilism

Con

Life is like. . .

ah pug rodeo. . .
TheBuddhist2468

Pro

TheBuddhist2468 forfeited this round.
mightbenihilism

Con

Here's a rebuttal to my initial rebuttal:

1. Buddhism says the universe was without beginning. This is also claimed for God. If you claim God can have no beginning, why cannot the universe? If you say the complexity of the universe is evidence of God, then pain in the universe is evidence of his indifference, at best. We know things arise on the basis of complex causes and conditions, and this is exactly what Buddhism says of the cosmos. http://www.accesstoinsight.org...

2. There is no evidence that any book comes anywhere except from people. There is no evidence faith is any better standard than reason --- in fact, faith is not testable, but reason is testable. Therefore, reason is more valid. http://www.accesstoinsight.org...

3. There is not scientific proof for rebirth, but, Ian Stevenson has compiled a great deal of research suggestive of reincarnation to some. It may not constitute proof, but it may persuade some people. http://www.accesstoinsight.org...

4. Buddhism says there is no self but there is still the body and mind. When the body and mind realize there is no true "I" and "mine", they become pure and attain inner peace. No ego-entity is required to sustain this claim, so long s we admit a psycho-physical continuum of some form: http://www.accesstoinsight.org...

5. Historically, Buddhists has been against offensive war, but have engaged in defensive war. It is to be avoided if possible, yet "Buddha justified the requirement of the king having an Army to provide guard, protection and security for different classes of people in the kingdom from internal and external threats." http://www.beyondthenet.net...
Posted by TheBuddhist2468 2 years ago
TheBuddhist2468
Dear friend Mightbenhilism,

As for your post about the creation of the Universe by an almighty god, its seems very evident that this theory is questionable. Some questions that spring into my mind is if an almighty god created the Universe, then who created god himself? How did that very god came to be if he wasn't created? How does this one god, no matter his great power to overrule the Universe, seek into the life activities of all beings in the Universe? Lord Buddha has taught us, that there exists in the universe an innumerable amount of planets which hold life, and that humans and animals on the Earth, may die and be reborn as a being in one of those planets, as well as back on Earth. Judging by this aspect, the theory about an all creator god can be found quite disapproved.
Posted by TheBuddhist2468 2 years ago
TheBuddhist2468
mightbenihilism asked: "if coffee is permitted to the general Theravada Buddhist population, because if it is not I may use this as a follow-up argument."
Reply: Nothing is banned in the pure Buddhist way of life to any being whosoever. The very being should make maximum use of his/her intelligence to decide what is right and wrong for himself/herself. But in the case of monks, there are some rules that ban monks from engaging in usual habits and performances that the general public wold. Apart from this, there is no other strict condition of banning in Buddhist teachings.
Posted by TheBuddhist2468 2 years ago
TheBuddhist2468
I forgot totally about this debate and neither did I have any account of this site. Hence I failed to visit this website for a considerably long time. I apologize for the inconvenience caused.
Posted by mightbenihilism 2 years ago
mightbenihilism
Yeah, I was going debate him, see how hey he did, then explain how he could've been done better if he didn't do so good. But he disappeared. :(
Posted by PaoPao 2 years ago
PaoPao
Hahaha...
I think not all of Buddhist could answer this question because they not fundamentally learn to debate.
The basic of Buddhism is practice Sila or morality. It's something practically needs to do after understanding why we need to do the morality. the reason why they practice Sila is because Buddhist believe in Karma. They believe that what they do would affect into what they will receive.
Posted by mightbenihilism 2 years ago
mightbenihilism
TheBudhist2468 -- you've got five hours to wrap this up. I don't think you'll be able to make it. :(

If you don't refute me, I'll open a similar debate and let other people have a shot at me.

Anyway, may you be well and happy. (Metta Sutta). :)
Posted by VelCrow 2 years ago
VelCrow
@mightbenihilism @TheBuddhist2468

This might not be important in your debate, but Buddhism is not a religion in the normal sense. Buddhism is a philosophy, and a way of life. It is the belief of peace and harmony. It does not require faith in an omnipotent, omnipresent, etc as it is a belief that men can live together in harmony without the need to be told to by an authority. It is a teaching that we should do good because we want to, and not because we are told to.
Posted by mightbenihilism 2 years ago
mightbenihilism
I kindly ask the Buddhist2468 if coffee is permitted to the general Theravada Buddhist population, because if it is not I may use this as a follow-up argument.
Posted by mightbenihilism 2 years ago
mightbenihilism
It is probably proof of karma that I end up attacked on two fronts (in a friendly way, of course). ;)

Innerstrength, have you ever read any of the Taoist works like the Daodejing, Zhuangzi or Liezi? And, if so, what was your opinions?
Posted by republicofdhar 2 years ago
republicofdhar
Good luck on your first debate @mightbenihilism. :)
Vote Placed by republicofdhar 2 years ago
republicofdhar
TheBuddhist2468mightbenihilismTied
Reasons for voting decision: Ordinarily I would just give points for forfeiture, but Con did have really interesting arguments, as well as counters to his arguments in the final round; so I think Con deserves the points I'm going to award, regardless of Pro's forfeiture.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
TheBuddhist2468mightbenihilismTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture