I started this debate not willing to hear any hateful comments, I just want debate with a buddhist to prove my point of view.
In this round we will state what we believe in:
1- I believe in one and only god
2-I believe in prophets including Jesus, Solomon, Joseph, Moses and etc.
3- I believe that the prophet Mohammed was the last prophet sent by god
4- I believe in the holy Quraan and believe that it's the last book sent by god
5- I believe in miracles
6- I believe in the day of judgement
7- I believe in heaven and hell

I accept this debate

I will refrain from writing any hateful comments. I to would very much to keep it respectful. As you've requested here are the statement to start off.

1. The essence of Buddhism is not a religion but mainly a philosophical system.
2. Buddha is not a prophet but human-being.
3. Buddha came to realization and awaken on his own.
4, The teaching includes the 4 Noble Truth and The Eight Fold Path.
5. The goal is to obtain enlightenment in the state of Nirvana.
6, Belief doesn"t have anything to do with Buddhism.

Not sure how this debate will work being a philosophy debating a religion is like an apple to an orange, but I"ll take on this challenge.

To be completely honest with you I myself think that Buddha is a wise man and I do like some of his teachings, but that doesn't make him perfect as he is not a prophet and nobody is perfect except them .
I do have some questions if you don't mind answering:
1- I've seen many Buddhists offer the Buddha statue food asking for a favor, so I wonder if Buddha has a special power to make whatever they ask for comes to reality?
2- I've heard a buddhist say in a documentary that drinking alcoholic beverages and steeling and lying leads you to hell, so do you believe in hell?
3- What is the reason that many buddhist seek the Buddha for mercy?

PS: since buddhism is philosophy and islam is a religion I really do agree that it wouldn't make sense if we carried on with this debate. So if you want us to stop debating we'll go ahead and do that, and if you will we can make it a platform to clarify wrong facts about buddhism and islam.

Best regards,

Glad to hear back Aicha and very delighted that we are in agreements. I would be happy to answer your with what I know and understand.

This is one of the many misconception about how westerner perceived Buddhism. Westerner often perceive the offering, burning incense, and bowing as form of Buddhism worship or psupernatural ritual, but this is not so. Similar to westerner culture when a President or a leader walks in people stand up, salutes, and remain quiet when the national anthem is played. Not knowing Western culture this can easily be assumed that westerner worship and submits to that person who possess power, but we know this is not true. We know this is an etiquette of culture, appreciation, courtesy and respect. Likewise with Buddhism, cultural traditions play itself in forms of diverse expression in showing appreciation, respect, and thankfulness to the knowledge left behind and the guidance of a teacher.

In addition to the misinterpretation, there is a distinguish difference between the teaching of Buddha and the cultural eventful influences that has been implemented overtime, diversifying Buddhism in practice. This can be seen with the difference of Vajrayana Tibetan Buddhism, Mahayana in Chinese and Japanese Buddism, and Theravada in Thailand and Myammar Buddhism. ( They are different but all schools share the same fundamental of Buddhism each with a unique approach, thus being a philosophy for its non absolute. This can be confusing to those who are not familiar.

The fundamental of Buddhist teaching is to rid of suffering, where the main cause of suffering comes form desire and worldly attachment. Hence this can be deduce that asking or praying for personal favors entitles to some form of desire and thus interrupts the teaching of Buddhism and defeat it's purpose.

I've heard a buddhist say in a documentary that drinking alcoholic beverages and steeling and lying leads you to hell, so do you believe in hell?

Buddhism explains that drinking alcohol cloud the mind that can to lead inappropriate behaviors like lying and stealing. That goes against "The Eightfold Path" as thus leading to suffering of oneself and others ( Mental suffering, physical suffering, and emotional suffering can be hellish, if going through lifetime of such suffering I would considered that as hell.

The core from what I understood that Buddha left his philosophy on how to liberate ourselves. This may be different from from Theistic religion for example the death of jesus for sins of man or how the Islam deity prays for his follower (please correct me if I am wrong). Buddhist meditation is the reason to focus our conscience towards the path of Nirvana or perhaps as way to bestow mercy upon ourselves. The Buddha statues for many symbolizes to keep reminding Buddhist that its possible and Buddha provided a roadmap or a formula to get on that path if Buddhist chooses to do so.

So if you want us to stop debating we'll go ahead and do that.

I think one of the beauties of debate is sharing, the possibility to understand one another, and to learn more about the world. If I may ask you some question myself, of course the answers is up to you. Since my answer covers some misunderstanding about Buddhism, my question to you is:

"What are 2 or more misunderstanding you feel most important to explain or clarify about religion particularly Islam?

I remember that in the introduction of this debate, that you would like prove some point, would that be something you would like to share?

Finally thank you for starting this debate, for the opportunity to participate, for your questions, and of for sharing your time.

Thank you so much for your kind words and for answering my questions, and I really appreciate your answers and your questions too.

The main thing that I would like to clarify is that people who appear on the media killing innocent people and doing nonsense stuff claiming to be muslims are in fact non muslims and they do not represent islam in any way or form. And I advise anyone who wants to know the reality behind Islam to read the Holy Quraan and listen to it as well because it is considered a form of mediation and read about the prophet Mohammed (Peace Be Upon Him) and his teachings ( ). Because it really hurts when a stranger calls you a terrorist just because you're following Islam or covering your hair, it hurts being hated for no clear reasons and hearing hateful comments all the time.

And the other thing that I would like to clarify is the misconception that islam oppresses women;
Islam on the other hand gives men and women different roles and equity"between the two" is laid down in the Quran and the example of the"Prophet (peace be upon him). Islam sees a woman, whether " single or"married, as an individual in her own right, with the right to own and"dispose of her property" and earnings." A marriage gift is given by"the groom to the bride for her own personal use, and" she keeps her"own family name rather than taking her husband"s. Both men and women"are expected to dress in a way that is modest and dignified. The"Messenger of God (peace be upon him) said: "The most perfect in faith"amongst" believers is he who is best in manner and kindest to his"wife."
Violence of any kind towards" women and forcing them against their"will for anything is not allowed. A Muslim marriage is a simple, legal"agreement in which either partner is free to include" conditions."Marriage customs thus vary widely from country to country." Divorce is"not common," although it is acceptable as a last resort." According to"Islam, a Muslim girl cannot be forced to" marry against her will: her"parents simply suggest young men they think may be suitable. (

Thank you so much for joining the debate I really had a fun time knowing more about buddhism and stating the misconceptions about my religion as well , Bless you :)

I am glad. Thank you for your response and bless you to :).
Posted by ssadi 6 months ago
No problem at all.. such things can normally happen..

Thank you very much btw..

Good luck!

Posted by tsukiyomi 6 months ago
Of course Ssadi, its done!!! My bad for missing that. It was long read. Thanks for letting me know.
Posted by ssadi 6 months ago
Dear @tsukiyomi,

Can you please make a small correction in your vote in the following debate, Con forfeited 3 rounds, not 2..

Thanks in advance.. :)
Posted by canis 6 months ago
Buddism is ok. you can be what you are...
Posted by Overhead 6 months ago
Got to disagree with PRO's representation of Buddhism as not a religion.

Although Buddhism has secular and philosophical aspects it is more than a philosophy because it contains a spiritual role, supernatural concepts and is soteriological.

It specifically strives for spiritual involvement amongst it's followers,