Jairit
chairamaswamy

Building a business is better than getting a job

Started: 5/14/2015 Category: Economics

Jairit

Pro

Time
The human race lives on Earth. The human race is made up of people, and these people, whatever their family background is, are all given one thing when they are born: time. You might ask what in the hell does time have to do with a business being better than getting a job. Let me make that more related by using a quote: "Time is money." Now, do you understand? It takes time to make money, and after reading these sentences the next most logical step is to accept the fact that you can make money from a job, or a business. Not only that, one of the biggest perks of having a business is that you get to control your own time. No getting up in the morning and working for 8 hours a day and getting the same amount of income per week. None of that.

Here's the truth: you make more money if you run a business.
Now that's not entirely true for all businesses. I'm sure there are businesses out there that make less income than what Google's CEO earns in a month, but I'm also certain that businesses are more profit-flexible than jobs. When you're in a job, no matter how much effort you put into it, you still get the same income. In a business, that is entirely different. Your income in a business solely relies on how smart you are and how hard you work. These two traits work hand-in-hand.

Your business is expandable. You are replaceable.
That's pretty straight forward ain't it? I know you don't want to hear it, but I know you need to. I've heard many stories of people being replaced in jobs or being made redundant even after they've worked for their companies for years! Simply because people are replaceable.

GRADUATE. JOB. DIE.
That's the general idea most people strive for. Morbid? Yes. True? Very.

Now, of course, this is my opinion. I'm aware that there's an "opinion" section too, but I'm going ahead to posting this debate to see if anyone is convinced otherwise.

God bless!

chairamaswamy

Con

Hello, I accept your debate.

You say this as if every person who starts a business will make more money than if they had an 'average' job.

A normal business will succeed only 20% of the time. That's a 1 in 5 shot at actually making money.

http://www.forbes.com...

Let's face it, there are many people out there that simply lack the social or mental skills to be an entrepreneur. You need to be socially adept to gain investors or sales to make money in the first place. You need to be smart to make the proper financial or other decisions to make money.

"Time"

You argue that getting a 'normal' job is a waste of time. You said " Not only that, one of the biggest perks of having a business is that you get to control your own time. No getting up in the morning and working for 8 hours a day and getting the same amount of income per week. None of that." You do realize that the average business owner works more hours than the average 40 hour a week salary worker right?

http://www.inc.com...

You will have less time for the normal things you do if you start a small business. You are bound to fail if you believe otherwise.

"Your business is expandable. You are replaceable."

Yes a business is expandable. Yes workers are expendable. Even so, a company will not just throw away a loyal employee just because they don't want them anymore. Usually the people who are let go first are the lowest skilled workers and their time was going to come to an end eventually anyway.

"GRADUATE. JOB. DIE"

That is not what the average person thinks when they walk out of the university/college/high school with their shiny new diploma. The job is the basic framework of the life, the person will spend their free time in other fulfilling ways.

Basically, a job is a sure route to income while a business is not. God bless small business owners, they are the backbone of the economy, but only a select few survive. If you strike gold and manage to make economic profits, overcoming the beast that is economies of scale, you very much deserve the extra income. But overall, I don't believe it is better than a salaried job.
Jairit

Pro

-“A normal business will succeed only 20% of the time. That's a 1 in 5 shot at actually making money.

You know what’s worse than that? It’s the fact that on a world-wide scale, only 13% of people actually like going to work. You have the job, you’re getting the income, but you hate working for it. Interesting, eh? After all that time people spent in school learning things they rarely put into practice, they’re going to land a job they most probably won’t like. Even more, 60% of college grads can’t find a job in their field, and only 27% of them actually have a job related to their major.

When people fail in putting up a business, their failure is momentarily. But when you wake up on a daily basis and go to a job you really hate... you see where I'm going.

Evenmore, you speak of failure as it if to be shunned. Successful people (successful not just in monetary terms but also in moral terms) embrace failure. They see failure as a pivotal part of the learning process. They see failure as a part of success. The most successful people use failure to their advantage.

http://www.washingtonpost.com...

http://www.forbes.com...

http://www.washingtonpost.com...

-“You need to be socially adept to gain investors or sales to make money in the first place. You need to be smart to make the proper financial or other decisions to make money.

True and true. These skills are necessary for an entrepreneur to be successful. But you need skills to land a job too right? As with anything in life, people will need skills to be successful. As with being smart about making choices and decisions, I’ll just say you don’t have to re-invent the wheel. You want to be smart about your decisions? Ask advice. Surround yourself with people who are in the level of success you aim to be. Most likely, these people have suffered failure themselves and know what the best choices are. One does not have to take illogical risks, or delve into the unknown.

-You argue that getting a 'normal' job is a waste of time.

That is a misconception. I do not argue that a normal job is a waste of time. I argue that a normal job would consume your time, just like a business, but will pay less. Having said that people generally hate their jobs, what would be the better choice?

You do realize that the average business owner works more hours than the average 40 hour a week salary worker right?
You will have less time for the normal things you do if you start a small business

I apologize. I did not clearly clarify why I believed you spend less time on a business. I’m talking about passive income. One of the greatest forms of passive income is property investment. Buying property, and letting people rent them. You get a monthly income, and guess what? You don’t have to work for anything else. You have the time to do what most people who earn through active income (spend time with family, have a vacation, enjoy their own leisure time, etc.)

(COLLEGE. JOB. DIE)

-That is not what the average person thinks when they walk out of the university/college/high school with their shiny new diploma.

I know. I made it more dramatic, but it’s true. People don’t think like that; they wouldn’t want to. I mean, who’d think like that? I guess an extremely pessimistic person would. Nevertheless, don’t people’s lives usually play out like that? Again, you don’t want to hear it, but you need to.

-Basically, a job is a sure route to income while a business is not.

A job is a sure route to a fixed income. A business has the risk of losing money, but it has the capacity to earn a more controllable and larger ncome than the average salary.

Here’s an excerpt from a book, The Wealth Dragon Way by John Lee, a millionaire who earned his money through passive income.

The Truth about Your Job

We've been told:

Work hard and you'll keep getting promoted.

The undesirable truth is:

As soon as you can, you should work for yourself.

When you work for someone else, it doesn't matter how much effort you put in, you will only ever get a limited return on your time investment. You can put in 100 percent, but you'll only ever get a percentage (say, around 50 percent) back. Okay, you are guaranteed that 50 percent, but it won't ever change. When you work for yourself and you put in 100 percent, you have every chance of getting 100 percent back. Okay, sometimes you might get much less back than that, for a while you could even get 0 percent (because it always takes time to get financial results), but in the end you are always potentially looking at a full return on your investment!

There are worker bees and there are queen bees, and we need both in order for a capitalist society to work. But so many people stay miserable as worker bees because they don't understand that they have the potential to be queen bees. Sure, not everyone wants to be a queen bee, but everyone should be shown how to become one in case they want to give it a go. Young people in particular are often kept in their places by jealous business owners who are threatened by their talents. When mean-spirited business owners find particularly talented workers, they don't want those workers going off and starting rival businesses, so it is in the interest of the business owners not to encourage those workers too much. Never let someone else tell you what you are worth.

chairamaswamy

Con

chairamaswamy forfeited this round.
Jairit

Pro

Jairit forfeited this round.
chairamaswamy

Con

chairamaswamy forfeited this round.
Jairit

Pro

Jairit forfeited this round.
chairamaswamy

Con

chairamaswamy forfeited this round.
Jairit

Pro

Jairit forfeited this round.
chairamaswamy

Con

chairamaswamy forfeited this round.
Posted by Jairit 2 years ago
Jairit
I would have to say both. There are perks for each side. A capitalist economy needs people people who have businesses and also people who are willing to take jobs. In my opinion, if an individual wants to have time and financial freedom, a business will better suit those desires. Although, I do know that it's not for

Please read the excerpt, friend. :)
Posted by Cowboy0108 2 years ago
Cowboy0108
Question. I guess I forgot the ?.
Posted by Jairit 2 years ago
Jairit
Is that a question or a statement? :-)
Posted by Cowboy0108 2 years ago
Cowboy0108
Better for the individual or the economy