mcd573
PowerPikachu21

Bulbasaur is BETTER than Pikachu!

PowerPikachu21 has forfeited round #3.
Started: 4/14/2017 Category: Games
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

mcd573

Pro

R1: Acceptance & Opening Statements
R2: Rebuttals & Extra Statements/Sources
R3: Final Rebuttals and Conclusions

Good luck to you, sir!

Bulbasaur is waay better than Pikachu. Firstly, Bulbasaur, (of the Kanto starters) is considered to be the "Hard Mode" of Pokemon. Pikachu is just a starter from one game. Sure, Pikachu may be the icon of Pokemon and the main character of the anime (practically), but Bulbasaurs have a much deeper meaning to their evolution and backgrounds.
PowerPikachu21

Con

Challenge accepted.

Round 1 is for opening statements, so I'll just be saying what arguments my opponent should expect, which is: Design, Competetive Viability, and roles in the anime.

[If you don't know what Bulbasaur or Pikachu is, Bulbasaur is the grass starter of Pokemon Red and Blue, the first generation of Pokemon. Pikachu's a starter in Pokemon Yellow, also gen 1.]
mcd573

Pro

I've finished my research and have some conclusions- Bulbasaur, when paired up with certain natures, has several IVs that make it really easy to get great stats, such as SP. ATK. He may not be a wall, but he can take some good hits from others. Bulbasaur also has moves that are high on PP and good hitters, such as Razor Leaf. He also has moves from the opposite side, the more status-oriented players use things like Poison and Sleep Powder. All these benefits show the competitive nature of Bulbasaur and it's evolutions. Also, Bulbasaur has a whole episode of the anime, and is a character in the whole first season.
PowerPikachu21

Con

Alright. Now's the time for me to show why Pikachu's better than Bulbasaur. As I said in Round 1, I'll be arguing from Design, Competitive Viability, and roles in the anime.

Design:

Bulbasaur is based off of a dinosaur, but its design is somewhat that of a frog. It has a bulb growing out of its back, walks on 4 legs, and is greenish bluish in color. Here's the bulbapedia article: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net...(Pok%C3%A9mon)

Not very appealing to some. Pikachu is a yellow mouse-like Pokemon. Its ears have nice black tips, red cheeks (which store electricity), and its tail is shaped like a lightning bolt. You can just look at my profile picture, but here's the bulbapedia article for a real reference: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net...(Pok%C3%A9mon)

Competitive Viability:

Bulbasaur's base states are alright for a starter. HP is 45, Attack is 49, Defense is 49, Special Attack is 65, Special Defense is 65, Speed is 45. It's useful for dishing out and tanking special attacks. It resists Fighting, Water, Grass, Electric, and Fairy. Weak to Fire, Ice, Flying, and Psychic, so it's got alright type coverage defensively. It's Same Type Attack Bonus (STAB for short) moves are effective against Water, Ground, Rock, Grass, and Fairy. He also has pretty good offensive attacks, but while it does get Sleep Powder and Poison Powder, those are 75% accuracy, so there's a good chance those miss.

Alright, time for Pikachu. HP is 35, Attack is 55, Defense is 40, Special Attack is 50, Special Defense is 50, Speed is 90. While it has low defenses, Pikachu makes a great sweeper. Giving it a Light Ball to hold doubles attack and Special Attack, making Attack 110 and Special Attack 100. Bulbasaur doesn't get anything like this.

Typewise, it's only weak to Ground, resisting Steel, Flying, and Electric. Its Eletric STAB attacks are effective against Flying and Water types. However, it should get Iron Tail, which is effective against Ice, Rock, and Fairy types, though I'm not seeing it in the movepool. Pikachu makes for a really good sweeper with its attack stats paired with a Light Ball.

Roles in the Anime:

Ash's Bulbasaur appears in Kanto and Johto, even Hoenn. However, Ash's Bulbasaur doesn't seem to have evolved, though because it refused. Being one of Ash's Pokemon, it does have a number of appearances.

Pikachu is Ash's main Pokemon, and is usually the one to deal the finishing blow whenever Team Rocket decides to show up. [I'm a bit lazy, so I'm not going to research thoroughly yet.]

Cross Examination:

I would like Pro to further explain his Round 1 statements. Mainly, what is the deep meaning behind Bulbasaur? I get he's a budding flower, but that's all that's obvious. You also stated he's the "Hard Mode". That's basically saying Bulbasaur isn't that good of a Pokemon, especially concerning the games.

Round 2:

"Bulbasaur, when paired up with certain natures, has several IVs that make it really easy to get great stats, such as SP. ATK."

You're talking as if only Bulbasaur has Natures. All Pokemon have natures, and each nature adds 10% to one stat, and subtracts 10% from another stat. There are natures that don't do anything, though. Pikachu can also have good natures, like one that increases Speed, lowering Attack if you're going for a Special Attacker Pikachu.

"Bulbasaur also has moves that are high on PP and good hitters, such as Razor Leaf."

PP, or Power Points, are how many times a move can be used before running out of PP, making that move unusable. Many moves have at least 15 PP, which should last quite a bit of time. Pikachu's high attack stats mean Pikachu needs to use up less PP to KO an enemy.

"Also, Bulbasaur has a whole episode of the anime, and is a character in the whole first season."

Versus Pikachu practically being the star of the entire franchise, and having a few episodes (I'll need to research for specific episodes where he's the main character. I suggesst you do the same).
mcd573

Pro

Alright, so I've done some research on bulbapedia, so I'm ready to conclude the anime role of Bulbasaur. Bulbasaur appears in over 350 episodes and is one of Ash's main Pok"mon. He is the star of 3 of the episodes in the first season, 2 in the second, and 2 in the third. Bulbasaur is also noted my bulbapedia as the most mature of Ash's group. The other Pok"mon look up to him as a leader/elder of some kind. I would also like to point out that the only reason he was called to Oak's lab was to resolve a dispute between the Grass and Water type Pok"mon. This may mean he comes back for more episodes, but I cannot say for certain.
I thank my opponent for debating with me, and I rest my case.
Posted by PowerPikachu21 1 year ago
PowerPikachu21
S&G points are more than mere typos. Either if the S&G makes it difficult to read, or just horrid in general, that's sufficient to vote those points. Also, where have I had bad S&G in this debate?
Posted by PowerPikachu21 1 year ago
PowerPikachu21
Posted by MartinMC 1 year ago
MartinMC
Con has better arguments, but has horrid grammar.
So because this website is based on who has capital I's, and not who has the better arguments, ill be giving my vote to pro.
Posted by PowerPikachu21 1 year ago
PowerPikachu21
It's been over 48 hours since you were online. I haven't done the research yet, but I'm sure there's many arguments I could make. (Also, my opponent conceded Bulbasaur isn't a very good pokemon in Round 1. If he comes back, I'll point out this concession in my Round 2. Otherwise, it'll be in the comments.)
Posted by PowerPikachu21 1 year ago
PowerPikachu21
This was a personal challenge towards me. I do wonder what arguments Pro has for Bulbasaur being better than Pikachu. I don't have problems with Bulbasaur, but I do have my favorites. In my current opinion, Pikachu has better qualities, but I do think there's better Pokemon than just Pikachu.