tajshar2k
debater12332

Bull sharks are more dangerous to humans than Great Whites.

tajshar2k

tajshar2k

Pro

First round is acceptance.

Bull Sharks are more dangerous to humans than Great Whites.

I will argue that they are(Pro), and my opponent will argue they aren't (Con)

Good Luck.
debater12332

Con

I accept your challenge.

I will defend Great Whites and say that bull sharks are less of a threat to humans than Great Whites.

Great White sharks weigh 1,500-2,500 pounds compared to a 200-500 pound Bull shark.
Getting bit by a 21 foot long Great White is much worse than a 7 foot Bull shark.

The size of the Great White can increase the chance of death when attacked.
And like bull sharks,great white sharks are known to attack humans.
tajshar2k

Pro

"First round is acceptance."

Im just going to assume my opponent missed that.

I shall now refute my opponents arguments.

Weight isn't an accurate factor in determing how dangerous the animal is. Whale sharks certainly weigh more than Great Whites, and are harmless to humans.

Con provides no evidence to prove this claim. Unless he proves it, this claim is considered void.

Like I said, size isn't an accurate factor

And like bull sharks,great white sharks are known to attack humans

This doesn't prove that Great Whites are more dangerous.

Now I will give my argument, and I encourage Con to refute it.

Bull Sharks can swim in fresh water

Unlike the the Great White, Bull sharks are capable of swimming in fresh water. This poses a greater threat to humans, as many people swim in lakes, rivers. Bull sharks have been sighted in the Missiissipi River, and have been sighted in Lake Michigan. Me personally, have seen Bull sharks in Lake Michigan.

http://www.in-fisherman.com...

Bull sharks are more agressive than Great Whites

This is due to the high testosterone levels in the Bull Shark. Bull Sharks generally continue to keep biting its victim to get chunks of meat. Great Whites usually take a test bite, and lets its victim escape. This is because Great Whites prefer fatty foods, and humans are too bony for the shark. Even though the Great White has had more attacks that the Bull shark, victims are more likely to actually survive.

http://animals.nationalgeographic.com...

Where it lives

Bull Sharks prefer shallow murky water, which is where most humans swim.

debater12332

Con

'Bull Sharks can swim in fresh water'
Yes,they are sometimes found swimming in fresh water,but they still are not as dangerous to humans as great whites. And have a less number of human attacks.

'Bull sharks are more aggressive than Great Whites'
Bull sharks may be more aggressive than great whites, but because of their curiosity or bad eyesight great white sharks tend to attack humans and boats way more often than bull sharks.

'Where it lives'
Depending on the graph most great white attacks happen in water less than 5 feet or in water 6-10 feet.
Great White sharks are also know for attack surfers and people in small boats.

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu...

Great White sharks are responsible for 33 to 50% of shark attacks.
Followed by the tiger shark and then the bull shark.

Great White sharks are also responsible for the most deaths.
And are a danger to swimmers,surfers,and boaters.
As of May 2008, the great white had 238 unprovoked attacks and 95 boat attacks, resulting in 65 fatalities.
Tiger shark (88 attacks and 28 deaths)
Bull shark (77 attacks and 23 deaths)

http://animals.howstuffworks.com...
[source: International Shark Attack File].
tajshar2k

Pro

Bull Sharks are more agressive than Great Whites

Con states, "because of their curiosity or bad eyesight great white sharks tend to attack humans and boats way more often than bull sharks." The great white might have attacked more people, but more people have have survived in %. I'm going to use the information you provided me if you don't mind.

the great white had 238 unprovoked attacks and 95 boat attacks, resulting in 65 fatalities.
Tiger shark (88 attacks and 28 deaths)
Bull shark (77 attacks and 23 deaths)

Lets do the math. If I add up all the unprovoked attacks + the boat attacks, and divide it by the fatalities, I will get a %.

Great White: =65/333 19% of victims died

Tiger =28/88 31% of victims died

Bull =23/77 30% of victims died

As you can see, the Tiger shark had the highest fatality rate, followed by the Bull Shark, and the Great White. Since our debate doesn't involve the Tiger shark, the chances of being killed are greater, when attacked by a bull shark. Say I take away the boat attacks, and add up the just the unprovoked attacks.

65/238= 27% of victims died.

The reason for this, is because the great white generally mistakes its prey for seals, and spits it out later. Like I mentioned before, the Bull shark will continue to attack its prey, until it is weak enough to go for the kill. This alone is a huge factor in determining which shark is more dangerous.

Keep in mind though, that these lists aren't 100% accurate. Many attacks have been blamed on the great white, even though it might have been done by another shark.

'Where it lives"

Bull are also found in those enviornments, and the danger is that it also applies to fresh water. Many of us would likely ignore or forget the fact that they can swim in fresh water, and go for a swim anyways.

I cannot refute some of Con's other claims, because I already answered them, or some of them were mentioned in the first round.

debater12332

Con

While the Bull shark may be more aggressive and swim in freshwater and saltwater,the great white shark still poses a greater threat. Even if the great white only kills humans by accident it does not change the fact that you are still dead.

'Lets do the math. If I add up all the unprovoked attacks + the boat attacks, and divide it by the fatalities, I will get a %.
Bull =23/77 30% of victims died'
(Boat attacks should not be added in this count because the chances of surviving any shark attack in a boat are much higher than swimming or surfing.)

While the chance of survival might be lower with the bull shark,the chance of being attacked by a bull shark is extremely rare. (especially compared to the great white.)

Yes,the lists may not be 100% accurate,but just as the attacks for great white sharks may be wrong,the attacks documented for the bull shark may also be wrong.

In conclusion I think that while the bull shark is more aggressive,the great white shark is more dangerous do to it's numerous unprovoked attacks on humans.

I would like to thank Pro for this fun and educational debate.
Posted by tajshar2k 2 years ago
tajshar2k
Con,
Say I take away the boat attacks, and add up the just the unprovoked attacks.

65/238= 27% of victims died.

I also did it without the boats, and the Bull shark is still more deadly.
Posted by tajshar2k 2 years ago
tajshar2k
Its okay. It happens.
Posted by debater12332 2 years ago
debater12332
My apologies for the first round.
Posted by Mathgeekjoe 2 years ago
Mathgeekjoe
Con is bound to lose this debate. Bull sharks are more dangerous to humans hands down. Bull sharks is just in general more aggressive. Great whites really do not prefer to attack humans and are unlikely to attack.

Now if I was half human, half tasty seal, I would fear the great white like (something horrible).
Posted by tajshar2k 2 years ago
tajshar2k
I thought that would fall under style of hunting, but ya that too.
Posted by Absentia 2 years ago
Absentia
Ah, so it's not based on aggressiveness?
Posted by tajshar2k 2 years ago
tajshar2k
Dangerous in the sense that...

The type of food it prefers (fatty foods)
Where it lives
The style of hunting
Posted by Absentia 2 years ago
Absentia
First I want you to define dangerous and then I can give you the shark, because I have two specifically in mind.
Posted by tajshar2k 2 years ago
tajshar2k
Sure! Which shark is it?
Posted by Absentia 2 years ago
Absentia
Could I agrue that there's another shark more dangerous than that?
Vote Placed by Midnight1131 2 years ago
Midnight1131
tajshar2kdebater12332Tied
Reasons for voting decision: It was a good debate on both sides. But Con never refuted Pro's argument as to how bull sharks attacks lead to more deaths. they simply said there is a higher chance of being attacked by a Great White, whereas Pro took the statistics, and showed how there's a greater chance of death when attacked by a Bull Shark. And a higher chance of death is more dangerous than a higher chance of injury.