Krutches
Nonsense

Bullies are needed for our social system to work.

Krutches

Pro

Without a bully antagonizing me in school, I would have grown too comfortable with myself. I would have openly and obnoxiously done whatever I wished or thought. I would not have realized that sometimes people don't want to know your opinions. That there is a time and place for everything.
For instance, this craze of believing yourself to be something else, is completely connected to the amount of resources spent on bully prevention in the American school system over the past decade.
There has been an influx of people claiming to be another gender, meaning that this is the time in history that more people are unhappy with what they are. Meaning people are too thin skinned. The only way one can become happy with oneself is if they have had the opportunity to be unhappy with oneself. If someone is able to shift, into another personality/gender/species/alignment so easily, then they have no perception of who they are.
Bullies create a system where one is forced to be unhappy with who they are. They realize there is a cost to freedom.

For instance: When I was taking advanced classes, bullies would mock me for being a teachers pet. Even though this embarrassed me, I continued on my path, because name calling wouldn't stop me from taking advanced classes.

Another example: When I started my conversion to Judaism in high school many people mocked me with antisemitism. Instead of crying to a teacher and forcing them to accept me for who I am, I took their insults and insulted them back in playful jest. Making it a game and becoming friends.

Too many times do we see bullying as hateful and mean, when in fact it is there to create camaraderie and closeness.

Think about bullies in your life, from the school age, and you will find that the best times of your school life was in over coming them.

Most bullies do not bully to hurt, but rather want you to fit in, or because they wish to engage in conversation with you. If bullies are physical, then that is called abuse, not bullying.
Nonsense

Con

I could go into my life as well as lives of people who have been severely bullied to unfathomable extents of brutality and humiliation but that isn't what this debate is about. If something is necessary, then clearly it would be needed despite the severe harm it would cause and the case I am presenting is that bullying is not needed for a social system to work, least of all the one we have in modern times.

I would like to point out that Pro has quite honestly given no reason as to why bullying is necessary, they have only given anecdotal and subjective justification for bullies doing what they do. It is all well and good to justify why a rapist rapes but that would never prove that rape would be necessary for a society to work.

Moving on, bullying comes in all shapes and forms, it can lean on the blakmail side of things, the humiliation side of things the pure brutality side of things, if you name a way people can interact there's a way to use it for bullying. The reason that bullies succeed in intimidating hte victim into accepting what is happening to them despite the victim loathing everything about it is that usually the victim doesn't know how to get back at the bully but has a very open weakness that the bully is preying on. For instance, let's take two kids one has ginger hair and the other has brown. The brown haired kid starts taunting the ginger haired one, if the ginger haired one taunts the brown haired kid of his hair he laughs back and so to others and if the ginger haired kid tried to actually find a weak point in the brown haired kid's ego to attack, the bully will then up the anti and potentially use physical intimidation or social power (getting friends to start attacking the ginger kid and tell him other generic things like he's worthless and making websites about him just to add to it) to win. The reason that this is not needed for a social system to work is that if we rewound the tape and the brown haired kid didn't mention the ginger haired kids' hair, the society would work perfectly well if not more so.

In actual fact, the only social system that wouldn't work is one that worked to divide its people without uniting them with somethign more important in some way and I can think of one major example of this; bullying. Bullying does nothing to unite a society and everything to split it up. You can argue that it's simply the way for the majority to ensure the minority conform to them but if you ask the majority of any society, they'd say that bullying was wrong but that they don't think what they are doing is bullying and this is the key point. Unless we take the extremes of society like psychopaths who would knowingly bully someone and enjoy it, most bullies dislike bullying but dont' know what they are doing is affecting the victim as badly as it is (which is ironic in this debate because the official name for what psychopaths and sociopaths have is 'ANTISOCIAL personality disorder') [http://www.nhs.uk...]

Bullying divides, it harms and makes society break. There is no way it strengthens anyone at all, the victim can become so broken that they literally kill himself/herself or at the very least hate everything about them. I won't appeal to your emotions Pro but it's rather disgusting for me to think that you could find joy or good in someone being so broken that they cry at the thought of having to live anymore.

Sure a little teasing is fine and makes a person 'thick skinned' as you say but try having the flap that connects your tongue to your mouth cut out with a spoon, try having your head put into a toilet and smelling the sh** and piss of your bullies as they rub your hair and force you to breathe it in by drowning you and releasing you over and over and then having your face flushed as they laugh at you. Try that bro, just try it out for me and tell me that bullying is good.

Anyway regardless of that, it's not necessary and Pro has yet to give a single objective reason as to why it's needed for the social system he/she and myself live in to work.
Krutches

Pro

Krutches forfeited this round.
Nonsense

Con

Nonsense forfeited this round.
Krutches

Pro

Krutches forfeited this round.
Nonsense

Con

Nonsense forfeited this round.
Posted by bradend 1 year ago
bradend
bullies don't help our schools or anything like that. they stress the kids that are trying to have fun in life. bullies just make it worse
Posted by Themeaman909 1 year ago
Themeaman909
Bullies are often insecure, and encouraging insecurity can be bad for any society. Also con made a good point about how you didn't give any arguments on how it benefits a society. I personally hate bullying, and i think it needs to be stopped. In simple terms, some people are thick skinned, and some people are not.