CalRed
Stuhan18

Bullying is a good and essential aspect of childhood and should not be abolished

CalRed

Pro

In schools, there is an effort to get rid of bullying as some kids have committed suicide as a result. I agree that extreme bullying and bullying in General should not be tolerated, however the focus should be on empowering students to face bullying, stand up for themselves and others, and develop a backbone. Unfortunately with the emphasis on the bully and getting rid of bullying so much kids lose important opportunities to defend themselves or be courageous in the face of peers. Being bullied can build Character.
Stuhan18

Con

Bullying may be natural but right? No.
Rebuttal 1
Bullying builds a backbone and helps grow confidence

Bullying does the exact opposite of this repeated pulling down on a persons ideas and work shatters any feeling of self worth and it makes people who are already insecure about themselves less secure if someone were to go up to a person every day for a year and tell them that they stink(bad example but I'm getting to the point) they would become more and more self conscious of how they smell they may smell just fine but they are being told they smell awful and this makes the other person feel lesser if the person being bullied says no I don't I showered this morning the bully automatically knows that they can get a rise out of this person, therefore the bully will say a different comment such as well it's not your body odor its your teeth and so on and all the while coming in with more and more comments shattering the others confidence.
CalRed

Pro

Stuhan, thanks for joining. You make a very thoughtful argument. My point is that the act of bullying is not a right thing to do. Nor that it should be tolerated when bullies are caught bullying. However, I disagree with the approach that seems to be so prevalent in society that is weighted so heavily against the act of bullying in its messaging. As a parent I of course don't want my kids to suffer abusive bullying, but assuming that they will encounter some degee of it I want to make sure they are equipped to handle it, and aware of the avenues to solve the problem.

To your point about the the bully's aim, "to make someone feel lesser;" a bully can tell when they are effective by whether or not they can evoke the desired response. Either they become more empowered or... The target can choose to face the bully and respond otherwise. I think that the strength of the target to face the adversary is more worthy of merit than the strength of the bully to bully in the first place. To give a couple personal examples. I've had a stepdad since I was four, and growing up always perceived that he was a bully to me. Especially as he was not my real dad. He always tried to get a rise out of me, pointed out my short comings, and he was a big big strong guy and very brutish. None of my peers could compare to his constant "bullying" in terms of the behavior. What I've only come to learn as an adult is that my stepdads "bullying" different because of the difference of intent. He loved me. He did not push me around or poke fun to make me feel lesser and hence make himself feel superior. He challenged me to stay strong, to fight back, to have confidence. As a man, I know no one on this Earth has the power to hurt my feelings. I have control of my own self. As a parent now, my wife and I both being very strong personalities do not coddle our older kids, but challenge them and empower them much the same way. I also would point out that for the bully, there is a lesson that can be very valuable, when faced with an unwilling victim. I was not often bullyish myself as a kid, but I remember one time when a buddy of mine was trying pretty successfully to get friendly with a young girl. We were middle school age and I thought I was the better of the two of us but did not have the courage to make advances myself and was jealous. So of course being a dumb kid I started bullying my friend and picking on him pretty relentlessly. Well, his folks had prepared him well and he was also pretty sharp at seeing the reason for my behavior. He took it for a bit, but finally really let me have it verbally. He was dead honest and without fear. He made me see the weakness in myself, and forced me to see how wrong I had been. I learned a valuable lesson in empathy by being a bully to the wrong guy. Our generation was different though. There certainly was not a nation wide campaign to stomp out bullying, it was looked at as being part of growing up. Isn't the world and life the ultimate bully? It tries... Sometimes really hard to break your spirit. My point is that the normal testing that kids do helps prepare us to face challenges that inevitably come our way. I want everyone to have the freedom and power that comes from meeting these types of challenges by courage and wisdom to see that they DO NOT HAVE TO LET ANYONE have power to make them feel lesser.
Stuhan18

Con

Stuhan18 forfeited this round.
CalRed

Pro

I'm not sure if the forfeit implies agreement, lack of an argument, or just timed out.. I hope my opponent is well and I encourage that the discussion be continued.
Stuhan18

Con

Stuhan18 forfeited this round.
Posted by CalRed 2 years ago
CalRed
Thanks for the insights your perspective is helpful. You are right that all kids are different and come from different circumstances. I still feel the focus still should be weighted toward equipping kids with the means to cope as life's hardships do not discriminate and bullying sometimes continues into adulthood and the tools of bullies become more sophisticated. If kids natural tempermants become so completely squelched be this overly pacifistic PC society we're in for a rude awakening.
Posted by CalRed 2 years ago
CalRed
Posted by tschuk 2 years ago
tschuk
Also a Troll is someone that posts something glaringly obvious (and usually offensive) , trying to solicit an emotional response from others for their own amusement.
Posted by tschuk 2 years ago
tschuk
I agree for the most part with Pro, however what he seems to have missed is that every child is different. Some children will never respond in a positive way towards bullying and will instead sink further into depression. Personality and Upbringing are big factors here, and that should be definitely factored in through the course of this argument.

I personally was bullied until the day I finally snapped, I tackled the bigger bully and didn't stop hitting him until I broke his nose. Most children will not respond that way however. Some will simply choose to end their lives, or cut themselves off from society. Others will laugh it off, and others will seek parental guidance.
Posted by CalRed 2 years ago
CalRed
As I am not as up on the current terminology, can someone explain troll? I think I've got the gist and as I've posted a rebuttal I want to confirm that I am not indeed a troll. Thanks for letting me know.
Posted by Kaynes 2 years ago
Kaynes
I really hope this is a troll...