veronicacford
BEM1019

Bullying isn't that bad

veronicacford

veronicacford

Pro

Bullying is not as bad as many make it out to be. Yes, there are some extreme cases in which things go way too far, and a child is severely harmed/traumatized. But in general, I think bullying builds character, originality, and self-awareness.
BEM1019

Con

Bullying isn't that bad. It is this type of attitude that perpetuates this abusive behavior. Bullying has untold number of negative affects that impact on a bully survivor. Notice I wrote survivor, because that is what has to happen in order to become stronger and build resilience just like my opponent stated.

We are naturally social animals and living in groups is a significant factor in our species success in the world. Bullying leads to ostracisation which leads to disconnection with community and depression.
Maslow recognizes the human need to belong in his Hierarchy of Needs. Belonging and feeling like you are worthy and have significant others approval is necessary for healthy spiritual and emotional development. The following is taken from Wikipedia from the Maslow Hierarchy of Needs page.
The pyramid was all I wanted but cut and paste not so good.
http://en.wikipedia.org...'s_hierarchy_of_needs
Safety needs
With their physical needs relatively satisfied, the individual's safety needs take precedence and dominate behavior. In the absence of physical safety " due to war, natural disaster, family violence, childhood abuse, etc. " people may (re-)experience post-traumatic stress disorder or trans generational trauma. In the absence of economic safety " due to economic crisis and lack of work opportunities " these safety needs manifest themselves in ways such as a preference for job security, grievance procedures for protecting the individual from unilateral authority, savings accounts, insurance policies, reasonable disability accommodations, etc. This level is more likely to be found in children because they generally have a greater need to feel safe.
Safety and Security needs include:
Personal security
Financial security
Health and well-being
Safety net against accidents/illness and their adverse impacts
Love and belonging
After physiological and safety needs are fulfilled, the third level of human needs is interpersonal and involves feelings of belongingness. This need is especially strong in childhood and can override the need for safety as witnessed in children who cling to abusive parents. Deficiencies within this level of Maslow's hierarchy " due to hospitalism, neglect, shunning, ostracism, etc. " can impact the individual's ability to form and maintain emotionally significant relationships in general, such as:
Friendship
Intimacy
Family
According to Maslow, humans need to feel a sense of belonging and acceptance among their social groups, regardless if these groups are large or small. For example, some large social groups may include clubs, co-workers, religious groups, professional organizations, sports teams, and gangs. Some examples of small social connections include family members, intimate partners, mentors, colleagues, and confidants. Humans need to love and be loved " both sexually and non-sexually " by others.[2] Many people become susceptible to loneliness, social anxiety, and clinical depression in the absence of this love or belonging element. This need for belonging may overcome the physiological and security needs, depending on the strength of the peer pressure.

Bullying denies children this critical developmental nurturing. That is why it is important to teach kids resilience and model appropriate behaviour. Bullying is a no no and is very damaging for the target. Notice I said target.
veronicacford

Pro

veronicacford forfeited this round.
BEM1019

Con

Well the following text will argue that bullying behavior has detrimental effects for the Bully. They are likely to drop out of school, find employment difficult as it is about compromise and they are not necessarily in control. They rate higher in road rage contributors. They are likely to continue the behaviour against their families and friends. eg Domestic Violence.

Should a terrible event happen such as suicide resulting from the bullying this can have detrimental effects for the Bully's self esteem and may eventuate in legal proceedings. Please if anyone is feeling dark and lonely due to this post ring somebody life line or something keep talking it is a better way. Many people have experienced what you are feeling.

http://tweenparenting.about.com...

This site published these references
Smokowski, Paul R., and Kopasz, Kelly Holland. Bullying in school: An overview of types, effects, family characteristics, and intervention strategies. 2005. Children & Schools. 27,2: 101-110.

Vanderbilt, Douglas, and Augustyn, Marilyn. The effects of bullying. 2010. Pediatrics and Child Health. 20,7: 315-320.

**IF FEELING SUICIDAL USE THIS LINK TO CONTACT SOMEONE***
International Association for Suicide Prevention - Resources: Crisis Centers

http://www.iasp.info...
veronicacford

Pro

veronicacford forfeited this round.
BEM1019

Con

BEM1019 forfeited this round.
veronicacford

Pro

veronicacford forfeited this round.
BEM1019

Con

I think my opponent has run away. But Bullying has many negative affects on both the bully and the bully target. Learning to be resilient has its benefits too. The world is not always nice and there will always be bullies in the world. Narcissist and psycho people do exist and they do get a thrill from making somebody miserable by disempowering people.

If you are a victim of this behaviour remember that you give your soul and dreams away. only you the bullies may break your body but they can't steal your soul. stay strong and ask for help. In many places there are laws to help you.

Cyber bullying is a night mare. be safe, give few details be aware and check out peoples profiles make sure the messages and the profile matches.
veronicacford

Pro

veronicacford forfeited this round.
BEM1019

Con

Bullying is a culture that needs to be changed. Teaching kids to conflict resolve and that actions have consequences. We have to let kids know and feel the consequences, before the consequences are so great that we can not protect them at all.

Many people overcome bullying but it leaves it dirty mark and people die because of it. The new challenge is to teach all of us that the internet is not a place identity unknown and no responsiblity. Learning to be respectful to all in all arenas should be on our radar now.

Sorry this was one sided
Posted by BEM1019 3 years ago
BEM1019
Um the person who voted for this. The winner only argued the opening and forfeited the whole debate!! And they won and I behaved badly?

This puts the whole website purpose into question. Your vote was bogus and it seems you did not read it at all. If you can not read the whole thing don't vote!!
Posted by unheard 3 years ago
unheard
Bully is very bad and big. Every single person bully's, even if they don't mean it. I'm strongly against bully's, every person does it with out thinking. The definition of bullying is to intimidate someone or force them to do something. Information found in dictionary. I use to get bullied terribly until one day, it got so much and I tried to kill myself. Now I look back on that and my saying is ' People simply bully for 3 reasons, 1 jealousy, 2 you let them ( you care what they think) and 3 because they want you to hurt yourself. If you disappear they win. If you don't care what they think, they can't hurt you.' If i get called a bitch, weak, fat, ugly,dumb or hurt, I just reply with thank you. I don't react since then I've been fine, never thought about anything bad. People who put up with bullying are strong and noble.
Posted by KozWanderer 3 years ago
KozWanderer
I think bullying is important.
Vote Placed by iamanatheistandthisiswhy 3 years ago
iamanatheistandthisiswhy
veronicacfordBEM1019Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I think Con could have made good arguments in this debate,as Pro said eventually that bullying is bad in the last round. However,I cannot give best argument points for arguments never made by Con, and Pro went against his argument. Sources and conduct go to Pro, as Con forfeited multiple rounds and displayed bad conduct in this way.Additionally, Con's first argument was mostly cut and paste.