Bullying should be a crime

Bullying should not be a crime. I think bullying one for one reason or the other is

extremely cruel. People need to understand that children are developing and can grow out of

things. Some bullies can ruin childrens lives, but a car accident can also ruin another persons life.

What I mean is, we are growing in a population. Which means growing up with more children

around, results in more opportunities for children to get bullied. I think giving children and legal

action for something they look at as humorous because they are children is cruel and usual

punishment in itself. Besides what legal actions could you face with 6"17 year old's for picking on

one another. I think the work should be left in the parenting. Parents should teach their children

picking on people no matter what skin tone, language, or economic class they have. Bullying is not

a matter for the police or court system, its a matter of school, parent, and student.

Thanks for this opportunity to debate. I wish you the best of luck.

First let me start off with some definitions:
Bullying- use superior strength or influence to intimidate (someone), typically to force him or her to do what one wants. (Merriam Webster)

Contention 1: Bullying is traumatic to the victim
According to Bullying Statistics [1] Bullying victims are 2 to 9 times more likely to commit suicide. Now is this really not a problem? Here's some more statistics-
A study in Britain found that at least half of suicides among young people are related to bullying
10 to 14 year old girls may be at even higher risk for suicide, according to the study above.
According to statistics reported by ABC News, nearly 30 percent of students are either bullies or victims of bullying, and 160,000 kids stay home from school every day because of fear of bullying. Still not a problem that we should deal with in court.
Do you understand how traumatizing bullying can be? When I was younger, I was the smallest kid in my grade, and this was essentially grounds for me to be bullied. I was picked on constantly, and I couldn't fight back, and no one would help me. My parents couldn't help me, because the principal at my school wouldn't do anything to stop the bullying. My parents went to the other kids parents and told them what was happening, and their parents didn't believe mine, because they had taught their kids not to bully. Does your stance that parents should just teach their kids not to really make sense? No, it doesn't.

Contention 2: Bullying is an act of violence and abuse.
It's a vicious assault on the mind, body and spirit. The extent of its impact is rarely appreciated. As a criminal act, it needs to be addressed more seriously by the courts. In my opinion, bullying is akin to the trauma of sexual abuse, rape, and torture. It crushes the will, breaks the heart and sends the mind into turmoil. In its wake it brings shame, guilt, self-loathing, isolation and seething anger. It can destroy relationships and wreck family life. It opens a Pandora's box of psychological phenomena: anxiety, poor concentration, forgetfulness, obsessional ruminations, flashbacks, insomnia, nightmares, panic attacks, social withdrawal, loss of libido, mistrust, de-motivation, depression, suicidal thoughts, loss of hope and even suicide itself.

Now addressing my opponents case.
He/She states, "I think giving children legal action for something they look at as humorous because they are children is cruel and unusual punishment in itself." I think he is somehow trying to relate punishing bullies to the Eight Amendment, and I just don't see it. But let us address the humorous part to his statement. Do you find suicide among children because of bullying humorous? How about insomnia, anxiety, depression, nightmares, panic attacks and social withdrawal? Are all of these funny? Hilarious right.

Next he/she states, "Some bullies can ruin children's lives, but a car accident can too." What? First of all, why is this link even made? I agree, a car accident can ruin somebody's life. But, bullying is an offence that happens to the victim in most cases everyday, causing emotional deterioration. This again, really has nothing to do with the topic, so I would just disregard this point.

Next they say, "Besides what legal actions could you face with a 6"17 year old's for picking on one another." The grammar here, kills me. I have no idea what they are trying to say. But here is my assumption. "What laws are the bullies breaking?" Well, in the common occurrence that the victim does commit suicide, Murder. This has been proven multiple times. According to [2] Almost every single state has laws put into place to prevent bullying. These if broken, are not most times criminal charges, but instead civil charges.

I will continue the rest of my rebuttal in rounds 2, and then extend all dropped arguments, and show voters in round 3. Thank you.

Con forfeited this round.

I extend all previously made arguments.
Forfeiture by my opponent means that I automatically win this debate.

Con forfeited this round.

I am the obvious winner in today's debate, due to the forfeiture by my opponent.
I win on conduct because of forfeiture.
I win on spelling and grammar because of my opponents many mistakes in his Affirmative Speech.
More convincing arguments, is up to you to decide on as judge.
I was the only one with sources, all of which were reliable. My opponent never challenged any of them, so they must have been reliable.