soundofsunshine
SheldonCooper

Bullying should be allowed, as it builds character.

SheldonCooper

soundofsunshine

Con

Bullying should not be allowed, whatsoever. Bullying has been proven to cause severe mental issues, such as depression, anxiety, isolation, even suicidal thoughts and/or actions. As I would prefer to keep this argument based on facts, I'm going to write about my experiences. I'm thirteen, and I have been bullied since I was five years old for many reasons. My race, being the main one. I'm white and hispanic, and I am not excepted by the hispanic community... I live in LA so that's difficult to escape. Others include the fact that I'm much younger than everyone else in my grade, I don't break the rules, I don't dress very feminine, etc. I attempted to kill myself for the first time when I was eight years old... That's pretty young, don't you think? Well, I guess I started getting bullied from an early age. My second attempt was when I was eleven. I still get bullied to this day, and have been forced out of my school because of it. My GPA, which usually stood at a 4.2,has now dropped to a 1.2 because my depression, and fear of going to school.

Beyond my sad little back story,I would like to get back to the detrimental effects bullying has caused in many cases such as Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris of the Columbine Massacre, Amanda Todd, Rebecca Sedwick, and many more. They all suffered depression, anxiety, and many other disorders as the aftermath of bullying (except Eric Harris who was a born psychopath).

I, myself, suffer depression, anxiety, panic attacks, and violent black outs. There have been situations where my bottled up rage towards my attackers have caused me to black out and become aggressive... When I was seven, I was dragged into the girl's bathroom and began to be beaten by other girls, some from my grade, some from grades above. My head was slammed against a toilet bowl and a wall as I was kicked and punched repeatedly. Four years later, a girl who had been bullying me since I was eight (and her little group of friends) came up to me and cornered me, yelling at me, and pushing me down. They began kicking me in my ribs, and bam, flashback. I don't remember what happened, my mind had gone blank, but after watching school security footage I realize that I probably could have killed that girl if teachers wouldn't have pulled me off of her. This not only shows that bullying puts the bullied child's life in danger, but also the bully's life.

Bullying should be treated the same as harassment is in legal terms.
SheldonCooper

Pro

Yes bullying should be allowed.Because it is a feeling to be respected and the human brain sees that as intimidation as the only form for respect. Bullying also should be allowed because imagine if there was no bullying everything would be really calm and people would like some action. It provides a pinch of action.Not only that but it gives males a feeling of superiority and a rush of testosterone.Also it shows bravery and courage just in the wrong context. The courage, bravery, and the respect builds up a character that shows not to back down when the world puts it down
soundofsunshine

Con

That is a load of bull. The world wouldn't be "calm" Just because bullying wouldn't be allowed does not mean people wouldn't do it, it just means that they would get their well deserved punishment for doing so. "Because it is a feeling to be respected and the human brain sees that as intimidation as the only form for respect." Exactly, bullying is meant for INTIMIDATION. This, is not good! Not good at all! It does not show bravery or courage at all., it shows that some arrogant prick is feeling a little low on himself so he wants to go make someone else feel horrible too.

Now, what if it's not bullying between men, but between women? A young girl, like myself, being brutalized and harassed every day until she reaches the breaking point. Is this respectable? Does this make me want to say "Hey, she's pretty brave and because she has intimidated me, had ten girls gang up on me and beat me to a bloody pulp, and made me feel like I was not worth breathing, I should respect her!" No!
SheldonCooper

Pro

No that is not the point I tried to make. Not at all.I meant is that a bully is a person who needs self-esteem.So in the brain its is concluded that the only way to gain esteem is to show that your the alpha male and the victim is the beta male.But it depends what is you definition of bullying because to one eye it may be like continuos harrasment. Our in another name calling or joking about ones parent.Also people who bully may have been bullied on them selves or have been bused or sexually harrased and need lots of more confidence.You cannot state my side as "A load of bull" because people who bully may do it for reasons unknown.You don't know what happened in his of hers life.How can you say bullying is wrong.I say this because if a child bullies you he's a child non the less a child no not what is right or wrong.If a teenager bullies you then thats because he or she are not fully developed to use there pre-frontal cortex or the part of the brain responsible for desicion making or right or wrong judgment.
soundofsunshine

Con

WHatever has happened to the bully does not make it okay for them to hurt someone else. We need to be teaching children that there are different coping mechanisms than hurting someone else. In the end, two wrongs do not make a right. What about the kids who bully because somebody is "different"? No reason behind it. No traumatic experiences. Just because they don't meet the criteria to be accepted among peers. And what about the teens who bully that are fully capable of understanding right from wrong. Schools teach that it's wrong, the media teaches that it's wrong, because it is. If a teenager can understand that things like murder, rape, stealing, and cheating are wrong, they surely have the capacity to understand that bullying is wrong.

Let me try and understand, are you really trying to say that bullies do it because they need self confidence, and that we should consider their background before we punish them? Or not even punish them at all? And that if a teen bullies, well that's fine and dandy! It's because they don't know right from wrong?
SheldonCooper

Pro

Listen sound of sunshine!You have the upper hand your story was depressing and sad but nevertheless flawed.Let me point out why: #1 You have debated about this before with shadow dragon the topic was should bullying be allowed.#2 you fail to point out that during that sad story that you did not inform anyone any proffesional for help.#3 YOU could have fought back in the face of a fist or a gun you must not stay idle if you do death is immenat.#4 YOU must change the future by taking initiative to fight for yourself regardless the excuse or back story.Sound of sunshine let me tell you something about the would no one cares really about that sad story people have kids and family so other people and there backstory dont really matter to them sure they may care or show pity but those same people on the inside dont care.Your story was sad but in the modern world not all of the US will hear your cry that bullying is bad.I will end this your argument has been a waste of time.Let me tell you why even if you are sucssesful in banning bullying forever it will still happen superiority will linger in human mind what will you do to the bullies put them in the electric chair that would be more gruesome.You brought this on yourself if you defended yourself of fought back or went to somewhere else that could have been avoided.OR took defense lessons.Your gpa from 4.2 to 1.2 was your fault let me point out why my teacher always says "Don't be with your feelings"that means whatever your feeling is meaningless.Please voters note that this story may have been made up since there is no video proof of any of these events and a great writer could come up with this story so it doesn't seem to me real it may be fabricated.Sound of sunshine you got your wish you have my pity and my attention if you made that story for pity and attention if it was real then I pity you for not doing the right thing which is Telling an authority,a teacher,a well trained psychologist,Or a defense teacher
soundofsunshine

Con

My story is real, and there is proof. Countless facebook posts, schoo files, and school board meetings (with minutes available). I, in fact, did notify authorities and teachers. Nobody helps.

The real point I'm trying to make here, and failing at doing so here is that, some kids (mentally disabled, special education, physically disabled, etc) may not be equipped to cope with situations like bullying. Shouldn't there be something to protect those kids from bullying? Or how about, something to protect everyone from bullying.?

What if it was your son, being brutalized at school because he was a bit different, possibly even perfectly normal. Or your daughter, being slandered at school and on social media, causing her to slip into depression?
SheldonCooper

Pro

You should have fought back. In post world war 2 Churchill was at a meeting and and basically said that we must never surrender.But you did letting those bullies attack you you should have fought back that is the dumbest thing you could have ever done.That is literally dumb for you.You could have sued them for assault and harassment in the first,second,and third degree.Voters please note that my opponent brought you into her web of folly attacks.sound of sunshine if people dont listen to your story make them.Please voters dont be pressured or trust her just use caution when voting.Why didnt you call the police or FIGHT THEM BACK!OR just take defense lessons.Did it ever occur to you that Hm I should just fight back or were you to busy crying.Again voters it seems my opponent seems to lacks the mental capacity to understand volatile situations (No offense).But voters consider this she could have 1.Took fighting lessons 2.fought back 3.go to court.However my opponent seems to lack proper knowledge to take course of her actions and to defend her self putting her life and others at risk how let me explain She could have died not fighting back 2 her mother could have informed the police but she did not inform her parents 3.If she did and they did not listen she could have contacted the police her self.Voters this girl has delibritaly put her self at risk then calling someone the police,school counseler.My opponent may even have mental retardation because of all the lashes she suffered all the lashes she could have prevented she brought this to herself for not taking the appropriate actions.SHE could have helped herself if no one would but she would just stand idle getting punched over and over getting napkins constantly for the bleeding having fears of all most everything having multiple scars half dead and what did she do you ask?NOTHING she delibritly stood there being harassed and assaulted.Voters let me ask you if you choose sound of sunshine you will give the ever awaited attention she always wanted she still has a debate going with shadow gamer.Voters Churchill once said to never surrender and she did the exact opposite she let her bullies beat her she may have according to her story and my knowledge stockholm syndrome.What it is a person capture a bystander for harrassment or torture.Then which the victim enjoys it the torture.So she enjoyed may have enjoyed the punch after punch or jab after jab.And if she didnt why did you tack no course of action whatsoever.And or she may be a quidecintial child needy of approval and attention despratley allows a bully to beat her up for the sympathy and or pity.Please voters consider both sides but pay attention.(Note: This is not for harrasment or superiority)
soundofsunshine

Con

soundofsunshine forfeited this round.
SheldonCooper

Pro

I had a rich time debating thank you all participants!
Posted by Shadow-Dragon 2 years ago
Shadow-Dragon
Hey, soundofsunshine, Why have you stopped posting on the debates? Are you okay? Just wondering...
Posted by Shadow-Dragon 2 years ago
Shadow-Dragon
@SheldonCooper: Calm down! Your points are not very coherent, and are not very strong nor are they supported. Also, she did not debate me BEFORE, she is debating me CURRENTLY.
@soundofsunshine: This guy is going back and forth between trolling and just stupid. His points do not make sense, and his grammar makes it harder to understand his points. I think you're winning this debate so far.
Posted by soundofsunshine 2 years ago
soundofsunshine
I realize that. I was not the one typing the topic in this situation, and I apologize in advanced.
Posted by Jonbonbon 2 years ago
Jonbonbon
This is an example of a terrible resolution. You didn't just give your opponent a side in this. You gave your opponent the argument they have to use to support the resolution. That's unfair. In order for them to win, they have to support that bullying should be allowed because it builds character, not for any other reasons.
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 2 years ago
Blade-of-Truth
soundofsunshineSheldonCooperTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct - Pro, for no other reason than the Forfeit by Con in the final round. Forfeiting is rarely acceptable behavior in any debate setting, due to this, Con loses conduct points. S & G - Tied. Both debaters made several grammatical and spelling errors throughout this debate, because of this, neither out-performed the other and it is therefore a tie. Arguments - Pro. Con appeals to emotion, her story is rather sad and most certainly calls for empathising with her. Regardless of that though, Pro showed the audience several reasons as to why Bullying can be beneficial, meanwhile Con dropped several chances at rebutting his points leaving some of them unchallenged. This debate lacked formal structure throughout, but due to Pro rebutting all of Con's points vs Con dropping some of Pro's, along with Pro's appeal to both emotion and logic, I must award argument points to Pro. Sources - Tie. Neither utilized sources in this debate.