soundofsunshine
Shadow-Dragon

Bullying should be allowed

Shadow-Dragon

soundofsunshine

Con

Bullying should not be allowed, whatsoever. Bullying has been proven to cause severe mental issues, such as depression, anxiety, isolation, even suicidal thoughts and/or actions. As I would prefer to keep this argument based on facts, I'm going to write about my experiences. I'm thirteen, and I have been bullied since I was five years old for many reasons. My race, being the main one. I'm white and hispanic, and I am not excepted by the hispanic community... I live in LA so that's difficult to escape. Others include the fact that I'm much younger than everyone else in my grade, I don't break the rules, I don't dress very feminine, etc. I attempted to kill myself for the first time when I was eight years old... That's pretty young, don't you think? Well, I guess I started getting bullied from an early age. My second attempt was when I was eleven. I still get bullied to this day, and have been forced out of my school because of it. My GPA, which usually stood at a 4.2,has now dropped to a 1.2 because my depression, and fear of going to school.

Beyond my sad little back story,I would like to get back to the detrimental effects bullying has caused in many cases such as Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris of the Columbine Massacre, Amanda Todd, Rebecca Sedwick, and many more. They all suffered depression, anxiety, and many other disorders as the aftermath of bullying (except Eric Harris who was a born psychopath).

I, myself, suffer depression, anxiety, panic attacks, and violent black outs. There have been situations where my bottled up rage towards my attackers have caused me to black out and become aggressive... When I was seven, I was dragged into the girl's bathroom and began to be beaten by other girls, some from my grade, some from grades above. My head was slammed against a toilet bowl and a wall as I was kicked and punched repeatedly. Four years later, a girl who had been bullying me since I was eight (and her little group of friends) came up to me and cornered me, yelling at me, and pushing me down. They began kicking me in my ribs, and bam, flashback. I don't remember what happened, my mind had gone blank, but after watching school security footage I realize that I probably could have killed that girl if teachers wouldn't have pulled me off of her. This not only shows that bullying puts the bullied child's life in danger, but also the bully's life.

Bullying should be treated the same as harassment is in legal terms.
Shadow-Dragon

Pro

Let's start off by defining some terms

Bullying- According to {stopbullying.gov} , bullying is "unwanted, aggressive behavior among school-aged children that involves a real or perceived power imbalance.
Allow- a. to admit as legal or acceptable; b. to give the necessary time or opportunity for

So, this resolution, in other words, is to prove that aggressive action should be deemed acceptable.

I will dissect my arguments into a few points.

-Perspective-
Bullying, in the eyes of the victim, is the actions against them personally, that can make them fell unwanted or unaccepted. This can lead to feelings of depression. [http://www.stopbullying.gov...]
Bullying, in the eyes of the bully, is teasing or more serious annoying. To them, the victim is not affected, as most of the venting is done at home through crying from the victim.
So, perhaps to the bully, things seem okay, and no one seems to be affected by the almost one-sided aggression. From a different perspective, bullying can seems like a totally different relationship.

{P1} Builds character
Personal Anecdote- Since I am a guy, I have seen 'bullying' more than girls probably have. Since boys playfully tease one another, we all know not to take it seriously. So, here's a series of events:

(Verbal Bullying)
Event 1: Bullying by peers
When I was bullied in third grade, I never seemed to take it seriously. Fourth and fifth grade, the terms "gay" used a derogatory insult was thrown around like it was a competition.
Event 2: Acceptance
When these terms were tossed around, rather than feel offended, I just laughed. Perhaps some people were genuinely mean, but their words couldn't hurt me.
Event 3: Resilience
As the amount of insults increased, so did my age and my character. As a guy, I became accustomed to constant insults and belittling comments.
Event 4: Progession and Growing
Now that I am much older, I am much more thick-skinned. No barrage of comments can affect me, and I have, in effect, become impermeable to whatever people say to me. I have heard so many insults, but they no longer affect me because I am confident in myself, and know that others insult me because they are insecure of themselves.
{Side-note to Con- Show confidence when you face your bullies. Let them know that what they say doesn't hurt you anymore. You are a strong, young person, and nothing they say affects you, because we all know how good of a person you are.} (That should not be counted as part of the debate.)

{P2} Experience, Lesson
Now that you understand my back-story, you know that I have experience. Since I faced comments and actions against me, I will not be shocked by them in the future. When others around me are rude, like classmates and co-workers, I will have experience how to deal with them.
How would I deal with them? In a similar way my younger self dealt with his assailants. I will simply laugh and show that what they say does not affect me, because it doesn't. I am confident in myself and my abilities, and nothing they say can take that from me. Also, who are they to judge? They have their own flaws and faults, but by being the better person, I will not exploit those and reveal them to the world.
{Side-note to Con- Since you have experienced bullying for a while, you have experience. Show those around you that you don't care what they say. By the way you told that story, I know you are a smart person, so don't let those who are dumb around you stop you from achieving your dreams. Stay strong!}

{P3} Future

You are/were a young kid when you got bullied, as was I. However, we must leave the past behind, and look ahead for the future.
If children handled 'bullying' the way I did, which included verbal, mental, and sometimes physical aggression, they would become a stronger individual afterwards. Now, in the future of my bullying past, I can stand strong and poised, confident in myself, with the knowledge that what they say is untrue, and they are simply jealous of my better qualities, or insecure in their own.

Now that I am older, the comments get worse, but my reaction does not change. I do not react. I am not weak, I am strong. I am not stupid, I am smart. I am not small, I am bigger than them. I am not worthless, I will make a difference in this world. It is not a crime to be different, I am unique. "They laugh at me because I am different, I laugh at them because they are all the same." {If you face bullying, that's what you should think. Be strong, Be confident!}

In conclusion, bullying, whether physical, mental, emotional, or verbal, should be allowed. It gives kids experience and the opportunity to build self confidence. It teaches them to stand up for themselves, and trains their body and mind not to react to any actions against them. It gives them experience and strength to handle aggression when they're older, and more independent. I, like other victims, having endured bullying, can now stand poised, confident that nothing they say will affect them, and that no one can hurt them, now matter how hard they hit. We will stand strong and tall, without a fear in our minds.
{Remember Con- Nothing they can say will hurt you. You are beautiful and smart, they are simply just jealous. Stay strong!}

http://www.stopbullying.gov...
http://www.stopbullying.gov...
https://www.google.com...
soundofsunshine

Con

You give some good points, but the fact of the matter is, there is a difference between simple teasing and bullying. Bullying, for many people, can cause detrimental affects to their well being. Bully victims are between 2 to 9 times more likely to consider suicide than non-victims, according to studies by Yale University. 28% of U.S. students in grades 6"12 experienced bullying. This means that 28% of students (possibly more) are 2 to 9 times more likely to consider suicide as a way out. Research indicates that persistent bullying can "lead to or worsen feelings of isolation, rejection, exclusion, and despair, as well as depression and anxiety, which can contribute to suicidal behavior."

"Special needs students; Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgendered (LGBT) students; students who are overweight; and students who are perceived as "weak" are the most likely targets of bullying by others." This means that if you are "different" then someone else, or don't meet the criteria others assume you must, it's OK to be bashed for it. I'm considered weak, does this mean that it's OK for someone to bully me?

Bullying does not only affect mental health, but grades as well. Each day about 160,000 students miss school because of bullying or because of their fear of being bullied. That is 160,000 kids who are living in fear to the point where thy can't bear to walk through the corridors of school, and better their education.

Now, what about the bullies? By bullying, they are putting themselves at risk as well. About 87 percent of students say school shootings are motivated by the desire to get back at those who have hurt them. Perfect examples of this are Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold. Eric Harris was a psychopath and probably would have ended up hurting somebody anyway. But what about Dylan Klebold? Klebold had been bullied for the majority of his years at school. He suffered from depression, anxiety, and suicidal thoughts. A distraught Klebold was easily manipulated by Harris. I am not saying that Klebold wasn't responsible for his actions, I am simply saying that if he wasn't bullied, there is a possibility that the Columbine Massacre would not have occurred, and 15 people (including Harris and Klebold) wouldn't be dead.

The point of this, is that some of us aren't equipt to handle this. ome of us are on the breaking point. Some of us don't know if this will be the day we can't take it, and end it all. There are other ways to better independence and self confidence than to put others down, and have to endure being brutalized.
Shadow-Dragon

Pro

Okay, let's begin. I will be dissecting my opponents arguments.

Opponent: "You give some good points, but the fact of the matter is, there is a difference between simple teasing and bullying."

My response: I understand the difference between teasing and bullying. I have be pushed around too.
However, I feel bullying should be allowed because it teaches kids how to handle it.

Personal Anecdote: Not only I have been bullied, I have also witnessed it. In all the cases where I personally knew the person, they were not affected by the events. These are all people I talk to, and are friends with now. Rather than be traumatized, they have LEARNED from the experience. As I said about myself, I can say about others: We have gained more confidence and endurance as a result of our past experiences.

Opponent: "This means that if you are "different" then someone else, or don't meet the criteria others assume you must, it's OK to be bashed for it. I'm considered weak, does this mean that it's OK for someone to bully me?"

Misconception: I did not say that people SHOULD bully others. I just said that is should be allowed. People shouldn't drink, but it's allowed. Understand the difference?
Also, everyone is different. They exploit your differences because they have their own as well. Rather than dwell on what they say and do to you, think to yourself: "What are they hiding?" It will help you understand why they do what they do, and what they are insecure about them-self.

Opponent: "Now, what about the bullies? By bullying, they are putting themselves at risk as well. About 87 percent of students say school shootings are motivated by the desire to get back at those who have hurt them."

My response: Of course. Bullies are not smart people. They feed off the "weaknesses" of others. But that statement is almost trying to help bullies. If they want to be stupid enough to bother unstable and insecure people, they may have to face the consequences and retaliation. {-Do not misconstrue that statement! For everyone: Violence is never the answer. Hurting others or yourself will never solve the problem. Death is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. If you are bullied, learn how to handle it, rather than react wrongly-}

Perspective (Cont.)
Bullies have a simple job. Bully others who are different. This statement may be taken wrongly: If we make bullying illegal and unaccepted, many kids will lose their source of happiness.
Wait, here me out. Bullies, almost all the time, are insecure of themselves or problems in their life. By making bullying illegal, we are taking away a way they deal with their problems. Thus, if they couldn't be bullies, how would they otherwise vent out their anger. They could possible turn to violence....

With regards to the Columbine Story and the resolution at hand, how one reacts to bullying is very important. The side I argue for is the logical side: To simply stand up to it, and not let them hurt you emotionally. There are obviously cases of violence being spawned by bullying, but there are psychos in any situation who would resort to violence. You even said it in your own response: "A distraught Klebold was easily manipulated by Harris." It wasn't only Klebold's fault, because he was coerced into doing it, and Harris preyed on his weakness. Almost like bullies do.... That could even be compared to Hitler. The German soldiers were not inherently violent people, but were egged on by a smooth-talking dictator, Hitler.

The point I'm trying to make, is that how people react to bullying is so important. The way I did, the way I saw others do, is the way that everyone should. Simply learn from the experience, stand up to them, and not let them tear down your walls. If students reacted in a better manor to bullying, rather than resorting to violence, leaving school, etc, I don't see a problem with bullying going on, as long as the student knows how to handle it. This is why, rather than have talks in school about why bullying is wrong and kids shouldn't do it, there should be talks in school about how to HANDLE the bullies. The seminars should teach kids how to stand up to them, and how to make them stop.

If kids were taught how to react, and how to grow from their experiences, bullying would not be a problem, but rather an effective way for kids to learn and understand how the world works, a world that isn't always perfect.
soundofsunshine

Con

soundofsunshine forfeited this round.
Shadow-Dragon

Pro

I will give my opponent an chance to post an argument since she missed her last round. Thus, I will re-post my previous arguments.

_____________________________________________________________________________

Perspective (Cont.)

soundofsunshine

Con

soundofsunshine forfeited this round.
Shadow-Dragon

Pro

Well, Pro forfeited again, so I will just summarize my previous arguments.

So, bullies are trying to make themselves feel superior by disparaging others. Although this may not seem good, people who need to vent their anger should be given the opportunity to do so. When one changes their perspective, they can see that if bullies weren't given a chance to vent their anger from their own problems, they may resort to violence to deal with their problems. How different the view on bullying is if you look at it from the other side!

As previously stated, I have had experience being 'bullied' and have also been the bully in some cases. This is obviously not good, but being a bully is easy, and bullies need easy jobs like that.
Also, my friends and I have all gotten past the initial aggravation of bullying and have learned to deal with it. We now no longer feel sad or get affected, because our defenses have been trained all these years.

In many cases, people are coerced into violence {See my address of the Columbine Shooting in Round 2}, and this is of course present. But one cannot use those examples and say that bullying leads to violence.
SOME people resort to violence, but those kinds of people would be violent in any situation.

In conclusion, the argument I have supported and stressed is that how one reacts to bullying is very important. The way I did, the way I saw others do, is the way that everyone should. Simply learn from the experience, stand up to them, and not let them tear down your walls. If students reacted in a better manor to bullying, rather than resorting to violence, leaving school, etc, I don't see a problem with bullying going on, as long as the student knows how to handle it. This is why, rather than have talks in school about why bullying is wrong and kids shouldn't do it, there should be talks in school about how to HANDLE the bullies. The seminars should teach kids how to stand up to them, and how to make them stop. If kids were taught how to react, and how to grow from their experiences, bullying would not be a problem, but rather an effective way for kids to learn and understand how the world works, a world that isn't always perfect. Thank you.

- Shadow-Dragon -
Posted by LifeMeansGodIsGood 2 years ago
LifeMeansGodIsGood
I feel so sorry for her.....and sorry I could not have been there to stop the bullies.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
sounds has been hurt a lot and is crying out for help
Posted by Shadow-Dragon 2 years ago
Shadow-Dragon
Okay. I re-posted my previous argument since I wanted to give Con a chance. I don't know why she missed the last round, but she deserves a chance to give her arguments. So, your turn...
Posted by Shadow-Dragon 2 years ago
Shadow-Dragon
Hey soundofsunshine, are you okay? You missed your rounds for both of your debates.. I'll wait a little bit before I post my argument. I hope you haven't left.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
"ignoring evidence and names of........."
LifeMeansGodIsGood
I heard a review on the radio, I think it was Ken Ham on the radio I was listening to. Bill Nye acted like the typical evolutionist shrugging his shoulders and ignoring evidence of names of prominent creation scientists and inventors and resorted to name calling and childish accusatory belittling of Ham's beliefs.

Evolutionists are all basically the same, they hate God whether they admit it or not.
Posted by Shadow-Dragon 2 years ago
Shadow-Dragon
LifeMeansGodIsGood, Have you watched the debate by Ken Ham against Bill Nye?
It's a great debate, and very much worth it, if you have the time. Ken Ham gave some great Creationism points, and evidence, as to why the side we believe to be true, is true.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
the title was "Biblical creationishm is incorrect"
LifeMeansGodIsGood
hmmmm, must have been another guy named shadow something, I do remember they were catholic......the debate was http://www.debate.org...
Posted by Shadow-Dragon 2 years ago
Shadow-Dragon
Sorry, LifeMeansGodIsGood, I never voted on your debate... So, I don't know what vote they removed.
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 2 years ago
Blade-of-Truth
soundofsunshineShadow-DragonTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct - Pro. Con forfeited R3, & 4. This is rarely acceptable conduct in any debate setting. For this, Con loses conduct points. S & G - Pro. Unfortunately, Con made several spelling errors in R1 in terms of misspelling a few words like *accepted* by spelling it like *excepted* such things have cost Con these points as well since Pro made no such mistakes. Arguments - Pro. Con, you've got to stop sharing statistics without sources!! Your arguments would be so much more valid if you provided the audience with sources to your claims that really need them. This is what cost you source points since your opponent utilized them. Back to the arguments though, Con appealed to emotion and while having a touching story - fails to convince me to your side when Pro presents several emotional AND logical reasons as to why bullying is actually beneficial. By showing how growth can come from it, how bullying is different from other perspectives, and the lack of rebuttals from Con gives Pro the win.