AbandonedSpring
Faisal_Umerani

Burning the American flag is protected under the constitution

AbandonedSpring

Pro

Prove that burning the American flag should not be allowed.
First round is acceptance.
Faisal_Umerani

Con

I would think "Burning the American flag is protected under the constitution" is more of a yawning question then an actual debate. But then again, any question can be turned into a debate with evidence and reasoning.

Here is a clear side on whether or not it is prohibited to burn the flag:

Found in the Amendments:

The Congress shall have power to prohibit the physical desecration of the flag of the United States.

My argument is that it is illegal because of the above amendment.
AbandonedSpring

Pro

Alright, I'll start by provided evidence on why burning the American flag is constitutional.

I'll also state that the amendment you stated is not an amendment. It would only be an amendment if it were to be passed, when in fact it has been shot down several times.

Now, as we all know, the supreme court acts as the ultimate voice of constitutionality. Therefore, whatever the USSC says is final. There have been several court cases stating that flag burning is constitutional, as it is a form of symbolic speech. While I do not agree with the act of flag burning, I understand that it is protected under the 1st and 14th amendments. See the following cases that are in favor of the flag burner: Spence vs. Washington and Texas v. Johnson. In both of these cases, the person who burned the flag has won. Therefor, flag burning is protected under the 1st and 14th amendment.

Thanks, I now stand to hear your argument.
Faisal_Umerani

Con

Faisal_Umerani forfeited this round.
AbandonedSpring

Pro

I reaffirm the fact the supreme court has stated flag burning is constitutional.

Thanks
Faisal_Umerani

Con

Faisal_Umerani forfeited this round.
AbandonedSpring

Pro

Vote Pro!
Faisal_Umerani

Con

Burning someone else American flag is illegal.

"Burning the American flag is protected under the constitution"

The topic is very general, and should be more magnified.
Posted by kathryngc 2 years ago
kathryngc
If it"s found in the Amendments that Congress is allowed to prohibit the burning of an American flag, then they should have the power to make it illegal altogether. Flags are a sign of freedom and pride of a country, and it shouldn"t be allowed to disrespect another country or group by burning a flag. Even if several court cases have identified flag burning as constitutional, it"s a complete disrespect and embarrassment to burn a flag. Yes it"s a sign of free speech and free expression, and it may be protected under specific Amendments, but there should be a law to prohibit this specific gesture of symbolic speech.
Posted by justiceandtruth 2 years ago
justiceandtruth
Morally or what