NothingSpecial99
Wylted

Businesses should be allowed to deny services on religious grounds

Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

NothingSpecial99

Pro

I believe that the resolution is self-explainatory.

Framework: For a bit more context to this debate, the resolution only applies to the United States. This debate will mostly focus on Christian businesses and the LGBT community, however other cases can be taken into consideration. We will be debating the legal and moral basis of the resolution.

Debate Structure:

Round 1: Acceptance
Round 2: Both sides present their distinctive, respective cases
Round 3: Pro rebuts Con's case and vice versa
Round 4: Both sides defend their original case in Round 2

Definitions:
Business - an establishment that sells goods or services
Deny - refuse to give or grant
Religious Grounds - the religious beliefs of the individual or business

Rules:
1. No forfeits
2. No Kritiks
3. No violation of debate structure
4. No insults or anything of that nature
5. Good luck and let's have fun with this :)
6. Any violation of the above rules will result in an automatic loss for the rule breaker
7. Any of these rules can be mended if there is mutual agreement from both Pro and Con
Wylted

Con

I accept, but am concerned my opponent can only rebut my case effectively by kritiqueing it.

A kritik is something that challenges an underlying assumption in the debate. An obvious assumption is that we are only discussing whether it should be legal for businesses to discriminate based on religious beliefs, and that if I find a single exception to this I win.

If he brings up amending other laws to accomodate that, being done in a Legal way than he is offering a kritiq.

For example if a privately owned prison decided not to take in Christians for the religious reasons that judgements that the christians have been forgiven by the death of Jesus and his resurrection, pro would ve providing a Kritik if he argued private prisons should not exist or an exception should not be made for them.

Now I am not going to argue that point, because doing so would violate the rules. My point is to show that examples can be found which are an exception to the rule.

I want to take round one to offer my opponent a chance to concede and call the debate tied. If he does so, he may learn something when I explain my argument in round 2. He can take that learning experience and craft the resolution better, then try again with no new loss on his record.

However if my opponent thinks that "for profit" prisons are the only exception to the rule and I have disqualified myself from using them than he can argue round two and we can continue the debate.

However after quickly pointing out that example, I am sure he realizes more exceptions will be easily found. I urge him to concede in round 2, let me explain my argument, and then we can call this a tie.
NothingSpecial99

Pro

Very well, I concede and will allow my opponent to put forth an argument and have this debate end in a draw. I do this in interest of learning to craft a better resolution for this debate.
Wylted

Con

I did not expect my opponent to concede. Sometimes I just screw around and say some random stuff in a first round. I was going to mention businesses that were basically state sanctioned monopolies that could abuse such freedom, things such as utilities, public transportation that is heavily subsidized etc.

In a rush that is all I can put for now
Wylted

Con

Also extend and apologize for ruining this. Maybe I can make it up to pro, by doing a future debate or something
NothingSpecial99

Pro

It's fine. Look forward to a future debate
Wylted

Con

okay, me too
Posted by Wylted 1 year ago
Wylted
I showed a weak exception to the rule and in this round will show a strong exception. Showing some unthought of exception to the resolution is not a kritik. Showing the resolution is impossible to defend and saving somebody from a loss is not a kritik. There is no charade
Posted by NothingSpecial99 1 year ago
NothingSpecial99
So, what was the point of the whole charade?
Posted by Wylted 1 year ago
Wylted
That was not a K
Posted by lannan13 1 year ago
lannan13
You were close, but didn't have the complete K.
Posted by Wylted 1 year ago
Wylted
Yes
Posted by NothingSpecial99 1 year ago
NothingSpecial99
This debate is still ending in a draw right?
Posted by Wylted 1 year ago
Wylted
I'lol post my round when I get home.
Posted by NothingSpecial99 1 year ago
NothingSpecial99
Ok you got me. Now what?
Posted by Wylted 1 year ago
Wylted
I don't know. I spouted some bullshlt and it worked for once in my life
Posted by Envisage 1 year ago
Envisage
Wtf just happened.
Vote Placed by fire_wings 1 year ago
fire_wings
NothingSpecial99Wylted
Who won the debate:--
Reasons for voting decision: Tie