gavin.ogden
Ore_Ele

Buying a used car is smarter than buying a new car.

gavin.ogden

gavin.ogden

Pro

First I would like to thank anyone who accepts this debate. This is my first debate here, so I am going to attempt to justify my position with as many facts as possible.

Definitions:

Smart-showing mental alertness and calculation and resourcefulness
Smarter-the comparative form of "Smart"
Used, in this case, means that at least one other individual has owned/leased/rented the vehicle.

I look forward to hearing my opponents defense for new car buying, as this subject holds a lot of importance in everyday living. May the best debater win, and good luck.
Ore_Ele

Con

I thank my opponent for creating a debate which can have such close relevence to so many people in their everyday lives.

I accept my opponent's definitions.

I will allow Pro to present his first argument so that we may have equal rounds.

Thank you,
gavin.ogden

Pro

I want to sincerely thank my opponent for accepting this debate. I really think both sides will be insightful, and thought provoking for the voters. This topic is more important right now than it has ever been in this country. For the average Joe, only buying a house surpasses the importance of buying a car. So, which one is smarter? New or used? I say used.
I will attempt to show how the positives of buying a used car far outlay those of a new car.

Used cars cost less than new cars. Also, they cost less to insure, and taxes are lower as well. Therefore, whether you paid cash or financed the vehicle, the monthly expense is lower. The average driver travels 10K-15K a year, which is not an exceptionally large amount, so a low mileage used car is certainly adequate. The average time of ownership is four to six years, according to the National Automobile Dealer's Association. That is not very long in terms of a car, therefore, a low mileage used car is perfectly adequate. There is a common misconception that you can't get a good warranty on a used care. This is simply not true, and if you are curious, look up Guardian Warranty or Preferred Warranties. These are only two that offer full comprehensive warranties on cars with up to 150K miles.
The fastest depreciation occurs in the car's first two years, when its value drops to 60 percent to 70 percent of its original sticker price. Heck, they lose 30-40% driving off the lot. Just that alone is enough information for me. Why pay through the nose when I can buy the car 2 years down the road for 30% of the cost, and have it for many years to come?

A Consumer Reports study of owner costs shows that choosing a three-year-old car instead of a new one can save you thousands of dollars over the first five years. In many cases that's enough to pay for all of your gas during that time.
According to the used car savings analysis, buying a 2005 Toyota Camry with a V6 engine, for example, could save you about $13,000(seriously) over five years compared with buying a new 2008 version. At $4 per gallon, you could pay for all of your gas during that period (based on driving 12,000 miles a year) and still be almost $2,500 ahead.
The same study showed you could save $25,500 over five years—or the equivalent of seven-and-a-half years of free gas—by buying a three-year-old Chevrolet Tahoe instead of a new one.

Another advantage of a used car is that you can get many more options, and in some cases can move to a whole different class of vehicle, due to the great price disparity. Who can argue with "get more for less?" So, they cost less to buy. Fact. They cost less to own. Fact. It seems there can be only one downside. The reliability of the vehicle always comes into question. The fact is, that any reputable pre-owned car dealer will let you have the vehicle checked out by your own mechanic before purchase, and with the advance of Carfax and Autocheck, you can trace the cars history back to the manufacturing plant. Do some get through the cracks? Of course, but When you factor all the money you are saving, it is definitely a very safe gamble. If some work needs to be done to the car, so be it. You will still be ahead on the bill. Even if you lose, you win.

I very much look forward to hearing my opponent's rebuttal, as I am sure I will have my work cut out for me in the final round. Good luck, and may the best argument win.

References:
-consumerreports.org
-bankrates.com
-National Automotive Dealer's Association(NADA) price guide
-http://autos.yahoo.com...
Ore_Ele

Con

I thank my opponent for this opportunity to defend the choices of purchasing a new car.

I'd like to first summarize the points of my opponent, make my counters to them, and then present my arguments that "Buying a used car is" not always "smarter than buying a new car."

My opponent claims "Used cars cost less than new cars" based on the following criteria,
1)"they cost less to insure"
2)"taxes are lower"
3)"The fastest depreciation occurs in the car's first two years"
4)"they cost less to buy."

To all of these, I say, my opponent is absolutely correct, in close enough to all cases, with the exception to classic cars, which actually grow in their value over time. However, I am not going to argue on the extremely slim group of cars that actually grow in value (and so in insurance costs). But all these points do not distract from my argument, as we shall see.

I would first like to go back to the definition of "smart," as provided by my opponent, "showing mental alertness and calculation and resourcefulness." I'd like to point out that money is not the only "resource" one should take into account when making any important decision, and we have both agreed that buying a car (new or used) is a very important decision. Time and stress are also very important resources to consider, especially since time can equal unknown amounts of money, such as missing days at work (due to a breakdown).

Money is not a fixed amount. $10,000 to one person is not equal to $10,000 to another. For example, $10,000 would be far more significant and important to me then it would be to Bill Gates. For someone with a high paying job, where time is extremely important, like perhaps a salesman that needs individual accounts to make or break a year, a broken down car can completely ruin a career. In cases like those, the extra money can very well be worth the peace of mind.

My opponent does bring up a good point, in that you can buy extended warranties for used cars. I would like to say that these warranties can often be very expensive (after all, they want to bring in more then they pay out). I looked at a 2005 F-150 (with 4x4) with 45,000 miles on it and the costs for complete coverage was around $150.00 a month [1].

Let us also look at the kelly blue book value of that same truck, we find that it is $15,600[2]. A new F-150 starts at $22,400[3]. Now let us look at getting a loan for these cars (since most people do not have $15,000 of spare money just lying around). We can see that a new auto loan has a better rate then a used[4]. The new rate (assuming perfect credit) is 2.99% over 60 months, while the used is 3.49% over 60 months. We see that the new truck is about $400 a month, and the used one is about $280 a month[5]. However, with the extended warranty, we see that you are no longer saving any money.

Each person must look at their own situation and decide what is truly best for them, and for some people, in some situations, the new car is, in fact, the smarter choice for them.

Thank you very much (P.S. 4,000 characters is a little short).

[1] https://www.warrantydirect.com...
[2] http://www.kbb.com...
[3] http://www.fordvehicles.com...
[4] http://www.bankofamerica.com...=
[5] http://www.mlcalc.com...
gavin.ogden

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent for what I knew would be a good argument. I would also like to apologize for the small character space.
While my opponent does make some good arguments, He does quite a bit of assuming. For example, he states, "For someone with a high paying job, where time is extremely important, like perhaps a salesman that needs individual accounts to make or break a year, a broken down car can completely ruin a career." The assumption is that new cars do not break down. That is just not true. In fact it is the very reason why there are yearly reports on the most RELIABLE new vehicles. Many new vehicles have inherent problems. Also, I already established that with accurate reporting on the vehicle, and the fact that a SMART consumer will have the car inspected by a mechanic, he/she can be confident with there purchase of a used car.
My opponent also gives an example of an extended warranty, and states, "I would like to say that these warranties can often be very expensive." Again, these warranties can be found much cheaper by a SMART consumer. For example, there are sites where companies compete for the lowest price. A three year, 36 thousand mile warranty for that same truck can be purchased for $1699.00 from Preferred Warranty and financed at %0.0. I don't have to tell you the math in order to tell you it is less than $150 a month. This warranty also covers a rental car and lodging when outside of a 100 mile radius. That should alleviate the whole getting around problem.
The smart move is purchasing a low mileage, pre-owned automobile. The first person already ate the immediate depreciation(thousands of dollars). My opponent already agrees that $10K is much more to some than others. Well, that's a lot to me just to throw away by driving off the lot.
My final summation is, "EVERYONE drives a used car." I would like to thank my opponent for accepting my first debate, and look forward to his final round.

References:

http://www.carbuyingtips.com...
http://www.warrantys.com...
http://www.automotive.com...
Ore_Ele

Con

I thank my opponent for this wonderful debate, and since this is the final round I will only bring attention to things that have currently been mentioned and not bring up anything new, as seeing he would not have the chance to respond to them, so it would not be fair.

First I would like to defend the claim that I made the assumption, "that new cars do not break down." I did not intend to make that assumption as of course that is not true, if it was, new cars would not have warranties to begin with. Only that new cars break down less then used cars. Car parts, unlike a good red wine, do not get better with age. A smart buyer can find a used car that is as close to new as possible, but any used car with 50,000 miles on it is going to be in a less reliable condition then if it had 0 miles on it. Smart buyer just happens to find the one that is as close to new quality as possible (while the not-so-smart buyer ends up with the one with the shiny paint, and cracked engine block).

My opponent correctly states that you can shop around for different warranties to find the smartest deal, however a standard rule of thumb is that the lower the cost, the lower the coverage. As looking at the warranty coverage on his link [1] that they only have limited coverage (please note, this is the "optimum" coverage, not the "budget" coverage).

I would like to end with saying that a smart buyer can truly find some good, safe, reliable used cars. But that if reliability and quality are of utmost concern, they can make the choice to pay extra for that new car, to get the most of both of those, for the money. That is their decision to weigh and make, and if they decide that is what is best for them, that does not mean that they are not smart for choosing a new car.

And for my final summation, "If no one bought a new car, we'd have no used cars." Regardless of the voting outcome, my opponent had a wonderful first debate and I look forward to many more.

Thank you,

[1] http://www.warrantys.com...
Posted by badger 5 years ago
badger
taxes are cheaper on newer cars over here.. they're done on emissions..
Posted by LiquidLiquid 6 years ago
LiquidLiquid
I love debates like this which aren't so serious.
Posted by Ore_Ele 6 years ago
Ore_Ele
If you expand the debate time to 72 hours I would love to accept. I have limits on when I can get on and so to fully debate, I need as much time as possible.
Vote Placed by vickynoh 6 years ago
vickynoh
gavin.ogdenOre_EleTied
Vote Placed by Lightkeeper 6 years ago
Lightkeeper
gavin.ogdenOre_EleTied
Vote Placed by innomen 6 years ago
innomen
gavin.ogdenOre_EleTied
Vote Placed by InsertNameHere 6 years ago
InsertNameHere
gavin.ogdenOre_EleTied
Vote Placed by m93samman 6 years ago
m93samman
gavin.ogdenOre_EleTied