By 2040, the FG should mandate that all new passenger vehicles sold in US be powered by alt fuels

I would be honored to have a debate of, the reason for this challenge is me seeing you debate this same debate which was quite amusing.

I stand to negate the following:
"Resolved: That, by 2040, the federal government should mandate that all new passenger vehicles and light trucks sold in the United States be powered by alternative fuels."

1. To start of, the fact that we are changing to alternative fuels is bad and means no improvement of the status quo : pollution and oil shortage; What happens is that when you introduce these new vehicles with their alt. fuels, is that these are still fuels. To get them will cost more CO2 and they themselves won't solve much. What we need is alternative energy run cars: solar energy, not onother CO2 producer.
2. The resolution calls for "alternative fuels", thsi i presume to be all types of fuels other than oil. Nuclear energy is a type of alt. fuel and it in itself is the worst idea of the century, imagine cars runing on nuclear fuel. My oponent has to defend all types of alternative fuels which is in itself a suicide.
3. The resolution asks for 2040, as long as I prove it could be 2041 or 2039 etc. I ought to win. There is nothing special about 2040 and this fact alone negates the affirmitive resolution

Thanks and good luck.
Ps if you don't by any chane believe in any of my claims, just ask for the source in the comments, i really don't have my files on me, thanks.

I really appreciate the being given the opportunity to debate a subject that relates to my favourite interest in life – cars – and I thank Anikiforouk very much for the invitation. Now, to respond to each point in turn:

1 – My opponent made a semi-valid point that all alternative fuels do not solve the problem of pollution and the shortage of oil. I assume, although he didn't say, that he is referring to diesel – which is already in common use in Europe where over half of all new passenger cars sold run on this fuel.

True, diesel is not a complete solution, though as it burns more efficiently than gasoline (petroleum) it produces less CO2 and provides better fuel economy. An alternative power unit such as hydrogen fuel cells produce only water vapour as a bi-product and, as my opponent conceded, solar power is a free source of energy and pollution free (although this would probably only be used as a supplementary source of power). Of course, these technologies need further development in order to become viable mass alternatives to fossil fuels, but the car companies have over 30 years to achieve this and have already made significant advances.

Just think about the advances in vehicle technology that have been made in the last 30 years and, with access to far more powerful computers, what can be achieved in the next 30 years.

2 – Certainly nuclear power is an alternative power source. However, I wouldn't envisage each car being fitted with its own nuclear-powered engine, rather that electricity generated in nuclear power stations would be used to charge the cars' batteries.

3 – 2040 may seem arbitrary, and perhaps a year either way wouldn't make much difference. However, One year had to be chosen and that year was 2040. It doesn't follow that because there is "nothing special" about that year that my opponent "ought to win" this debate by default!

anikiforouk forfeited this round.

I understand that my opponent's account is now closed so I shall post no further arguments.

anikiforouk forfeited this round.

You've been a great audience, and I mean that most sincerely.

Thank you and good night!
Posted by brian_eggleston 7 years ago
Okay, do that, no problem!
Posted by Russia 7 years ago
Hey my profile is closed so you get the win but I want to do this debate again so you can just copy paste your 1st speech and i ll copy paste mine. I'm Arsen.
Posted by brian_eggleston 7 years ago
I've just realised. This is my 100th debate!
Posted by anikiforouk 7 years ago
Great! Thank you so much, I can't wait to start this debate and good luck with yourother debates!
Posted by brian_eggleston 7 years ago
I would be delighted to accept this challenge but I should finish the other two that I am involved in first. Thanks for the invite!
Vote Placed by iXetsuei 7 years ago