jimjamesalex
MewxVenus

By 2040, the FG should mandate that all new passenger vehicles sold in US be powered by alt fuels

MewxVenus
Started: 1/30/2009 Category: Technology

jimjamesalex

Con

I will let my opponent have the first agument and I hope they will let me have the last agument in round 4.
MewxVenus

Pro

I would like to thank my oponent for letting me be the first to present my arguments and I would be more than happy to let the Con give the last argument

America's oil supply is becoming increasingly valued and needed every day. America relies largely on foreign countries for oil and other necessities. If we don't do something about the dwindling oil supplies soon we could come to a point where we don't have enough gasoline to power our cars. This is why the switch to alternative fuels is not only an option it is a necessity. As of right now it is estimated that we have enough oil to last us only until the year 2030.

Thus I must agree with the resolution that by 2040, the federal government should mandate that all new passenger vehicles and light trucks sold in the United States be powered by alternative fuels.

There are two main reasons we should convert to alternative fuels: Air Pollution and Oil Dependence.

The need to reduce reliance on fossil fuels is an urgent one. Steam replaced the horse, and gasoline replaced steam, and the switch to alternative fuels is clearly next in line in this succession. Please don't be deceived into believing that alternatively-powered cars have to be small, slow and as dull. There are quite a few vehicles that already are powered by alternative methods such as the Telsa Roadster which is powered electrically, the Honda FCX Clarity which is run on hydrogen, or the RUF Porsche 911 which is also run electrically. There are already many vehicles in production that are run by alternative fuels. These vehicles are helping our environment.

Contention 1: Oil Dependence:
The United States has 4 percent of the world's population and uses almost a quarter of its oil. Our economic engine is now 70 percent dependent on the energy resources of other countries, their good judgment, and most importantly, their good will toward us. So basically if we anger the countries we depend on then the United States will be cut off from its oil supply. If that happens and we don't have alternative fuel run cars the results would be disastrous.
Plus, The scientific concenses concludes that Peak oil will happen soon. Peak oil is the point in time when the maximum rate of global petroleum extraction is reached, after which the rate of production enters terminal decline according to dictionary.com. We all know that oil is not infinite, it will run out one day (most conclude it will peak on the year 2010) When this happens, our economy that is 70 percent dependent on oil, will be immediately shot resulting in an economic collapse.
Katherine A. Siggerud says, "Efforts to reduce oil consumption will need to include the transportation sector because transportation in the United States currently accounts for 68 percent of the nation's oil consumption".
It is easy to see that our oil dependency threatens our economy greatly. Rising demand and shrinking domestic production of oil means that America is importing more and more oil each year—most from the worlds most unfriendly and unstable regions. We are spending more than $13 million per hour on foreign oil and more than $25 billion a year on Persian Gulf imports alone. The answer is simple; end this oil dependency by switching to alternative fuels. When we can do that we can have a stronger, more independent economy. Right now our economy is tied up on something that will run out someday, and that day is too soon for comfort.
According to Senator Richard Lugar, large industrializing nations such as China and India are seeking new energy supplies, so oil and natural gas will become more expensive. In the long run we will face the prospect that the world's supply of oil may not be abundant and accessible enough to support continued economic growth in both the industrialized West and in large rapidly growing economies. As we approach the point where the world's oil-hungry economies are competing for insufficient supplies of energy, oil will become an even stronger magnet for conflict

Contention 2: Air Pollution
According to Naturalgas.org Global warming, or the 'greenhouse effect' is an environmental issue that deals with the potential for global climate change due to increased levels of atmospheric or 'greenhouse gases'. There are certain gases in our atmosphere that serve to regulate the amount of heat that is kept close to the Earth's surface. Scientists theorize that an increase in these greenhouse gases will translate into increased temperatures around the globe, which would result in many disastrous environmental effects. In fact, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) predicts in its 'Third Assessment Report' released in February 2001 that over the next 100 years, global average temperatures will rise by between 2.4 and 10.4 degrees Fahrenheit.
The principle greenhouse gases include water vapor, carbon dioxide, methane, nitrogen oxides, and some engineered chemicals such as cholorofluorocarbons. While most of these gases occur in the atmosphere naturally, levels have been increasing due to the widespread burning of fossil fuels by growing human populations. The reduction of greenhouse gas emissions has become a primary focus of environmental programs in countries around the world. Switching to alternative fuel powered vehicles will cut back on the emissions of greenhouse gases a great deal since the fuel they are powered by at this moment is one of the main contributors to the increase of greenhouse gases in the environment.

Contention 3: Longer Vehicle Life
According to ezalternativefuelvehicles.com The use of alternative fuels can extend the operation life of a vehicle. The process of corrosion and build-up will slow down if your car is running on cleaner fuel. Vehicles using alternative fuels will operate more efficiently and will have fewer maintenance problems and will ultimately save people money on maintenance costs. The Telsa Roadster, an alternatively powered vehicle, has a motor with just one moving part, the rotor, when in comparison the typical four-cylinder engine of a conventional car consists of over a hundred moving parts. When the engine consists of fewer parts the car becomes significantly lighter and its parts wear down much slower.

Contention 4: Health
Motor Vehicles in America have become such a huge issue due to the amount of pollution they emit. Areas where there are enormous amounts of people, such as Los Angeles and New York, are having major issues with health due to the pollution. The lung capacity of children growing up in Los Angeles is 10% to 15% less than that of the children growing up in cities with cleaner air. Alternative fuels can make gigantic and immediate improvements. The pollution caused by motor vehicles is also known to cause asthma. According to CNN.com 17 million people suffer from asthma right now and if we cut back on the pollution by switching to alternative fuels we could reduce the number of people with this horrid disease.
jimjamesalex

Con

I would first like to thank my opponent for letting me have the last argument.
First the mandate is by 2040 so all I have to do is prove that is not a reasonable deadline. I would also like to point out that my opponent already said that right now it is predicted we will run out of oil by 2030, think if we have a baby born every hour for the year of 2009 that would be 8,736 new babies and drivers by the year of 2026 4 years before we are suppose to run out of oil. So we will run out sooner.
Second I would like to point out that mandates will usually bring themselves to their own demise. Here are 3 mandates that have failed.
http://www.pnhp.org...
http://www.catf.us...
http://www.aicgs.org...
These are only 3 if they have failed then what good would it do to spend more money to get a mandate that will come down on itself.
All of your points are worthless because yes I and a lot of other people on my HS debate team agree that yes alternative fuels are good. All we are debating that 2040 is a good year for this mandate or if we should even have it.
This is why I think for a con vote.
MewxVenus

Pro

A government mandate, first of all, is the quickest most efficient way to get our country running on cleaner fuel. Also, I would like to point out that the resolution says BY the year 2040, which means this plan could be put into action before then, which means you just agreed with my side.
jimjamesalex

Con

If you are saying that the government mandate would be the quickest, most efficient way to get our country going did you even read the websites? The sites showed of mandates that were not a good money spending idea. 2040 is to soon. That means that we need an alternative fuel at every gas pump so it is convenient for everyone with a af car. That means every fuel pump would need more than one af pump. This would drive all the family owned gas stations would go bankrupt. This in return killing our already downed economy.
MewxVenus

Pro

While I do accept that these mandates were "flawed", I must point out that this resolution is unrelated to these health and environment mandates. This is a mandate on transportation and, therefore, can be expected to have different results. Also, while it is true we will probably run out of oil by 2029, we currently have technology available to put this resolution into action. Ethonal is already used. All we are doing with this resolution is selling ONLY cars powered with alternative fuel. If we already have ethanol powered cars on the road, and the resolution gives us 31 years to put into action, then it is a very reasonable claim to say that this resolution should be put into effect.

Also, this "family owned gas station" matter is what one would call the "Red Herring Falacie". My oponent has taken an example that means very little in the grand scheme of things and used it as an argument for this case, when in reality, It does not matter. Yes, family owned gas stations may go bankrupt, but by continuing to rely on petroleum based fuels, our economy will suffer a great deal more, seeing as the prices of these fuels is inconstant. The recent drop in prices means we are about to reach peak oil and that we need change. Alternative fuels are cleaner and cheaper, so this is a win-win situation for the US.

Since I agreed to give my oponent the closing argument, this is my last stand on the matter. I hope the voters will see my side of this debate and vote Pro.

Thank you for this debate.
jimjamesalex

Con

Like I had said before this is not a debate on if af are good or not it is if we should have this mandate or if it should just be at a later date. Yes they are cleaner and cheaper(right away). In a year you will spend over $600 more on ethanol. Think is that money you want to spent on a fuel? Pulse there is not just 1 fuel. There is an alternative fuel called hydrogen, biodeasle, and even electricity. This would be a suicide mission for the government to get gas stations all over the U.S. To get pumps up for all these af.
With you attacking the family owned gas stations. This right away would not kill the economy. Yes they would not all go under right away. In the long run this would put us right back in another depression. Just think of the family it could hurt. Is this something you even thought about? What if your family owned it how would you feel? This is why we need to wait and make the mandate set at 2050 or higher.
MewxVenus

Pro

Thank you for giving me the first argument. I urge voters to consider how relevant each sides arguments have been, and to take a look at any outlandish claims not supported by evidence or logic.
Posted by jimjamesalex 7 years ago
jimjamesalex
did you vote?
Posted by hannahbannana 7 years ago
hannahbannana
wow.
good round going here (:
Posted by MewxVenus 7 years ago
MewxVenus
Haha. Yay!
Posted by jimjamesalex 7 years ago
jimjamesalex
Same here.
Posted by MewxVenus 7 years ago
MewxVenus
Yes sir! :)

I'm a novice though. Haha!
Posted by jimjamesalex 7 years ago
jimjamesalex
Are you a public forum debater?
Vote Placed by ac1125 7 years ago
ac1125
jimjamesalexMewxVenusTied
Vote Placed by MewxVenus 7 years ago
MewxVenus
jimjamesalexMewxVenusTied
Vote Placed by jimjamesalex 7 years ago
jimjamesalex
jimjamesalexMewxVenusTied